CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

The 2013 is the first model year of the Escape's 3rd generation and proves once again that you want to avoid the first model year when at all possible.

2013 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 10 of 13)

Feb 102014

Escape

TL- the contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that he received a notice for NHTSA campaign number 13V583000 (engine) and was informed by the dealer that the parts were not available. The manufacturer was not contacted about the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was unavailable.

- Jennings, LA, USA

Oct 012012

Escape 4-cyl

I purchased my 2013 Ford Escape in Sept 2012. Since that time the vehicle has been recalled 5 times for fire hazards. I have taken it in twice for the smell of antifreeze and a check engine light. I was told the smell was my air freshener, I then took it back a second time with the check engine light on and has a sensor replaced that I was told would be the reason I was smelling antifreeze. It has been recalled several times for fire hazards that are very similar to the current recall. I am very concerned about the multitude of recalls for fire hazards on this car. I drive a lot of miles as I am a home health care nurse and are frequently in very rural areas. My concern is this,1. how can I trust that my vehicle will safely get me to my two jobs. 2. the number of recalls for fire hazards lets me know that they have not properly fixed my car in the past recalls. 3. I am a mother of a child that is very involved in sports that requires me to Transport many teenagers to multiple meets, some many miles from home. I have talked to Ford Motor Company with my concerns and they have only told me that there is nothing I can do about this. They have no solution to this and stated that I could not file lemon law because in tn it has to be in the shop for more that 30 days. I asked if they would replace it with a.2.0 liter car as they have not had the recalls that my current 1.6L has but I was laughed at. I am very concerned about my and my families safety.

- Ashland City, TN, USA

Dec 192013

Escape

The heat shield on the undercarriage of the car is very cheaply made and is falling apart. It is basically fiberglass insulation covered with shiny aluminum foil. It is very flimsy and exposed to the elements. The shielding has come loose and the more I drive, the more the wind pulls it and tears it from the car. It is now hanging down from the undercarriage and almost touching the ground, laying over the exhaust and directly touching it. This seems to be a very hazardous situation. It seems to be a very poor design to have something that is so delicate and flimsy to be directly exposed just inches from the ground on the undercarriage where any sort of road debris could easily damage it and cause it come into direct contact with a hot exhaust pipe. I'm sure once it catches on something it would be easily ripped free of the vehicle and leave absolutely no heat shielding between the exhaust and the floorboard.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Dec 142013

Escape 4-cyl

On 12/14/13 at approx 6:55pm I was traveling at 40mph. I hear ding ding ding and noticed my vehicle is losing speed and immediately looking at gauges my temp gauge is on hot. Error message displays high temp, slow down, stop safely, engine speed has been reduced.!! I was so alarmed at what was happening had I thought quicker I should have taken a picture with my phone of the message. I was on a highway where I could not get off the road, only slow down and pull to the right. I got stopped and shut car off. Waited a few minutes and started car back up. Message instrument displays the same message. Then message disappears and I drive to my destination 3 miles away very slow. Reaching my destination I get out of the vehicle and the smell of engine coolant is very strong. No leaks of any kind observed. It has now been 15 minutes later and the smell of engine coolant is still very pungent. I had contacted the dealership this past week on Monday 12/9/13 regarding the smell of coolant and a recall I was told about. I was advised by the service advisor for the recall parts were not yet available and to continue driving the vehicle and if I encountered a issue to immediately stop driving the vehicle and have it towed to there facility and I would be placed in a loaner vehicle until my car was fixed. Now at this point I do not feel safe to continue driving this vehicle. The recall I was informed about is related to a engine overheating issue and possible fire could result due to something with oil. Please help. This issue was witnessed by my passenger.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

May 082013

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 2 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer three times where the technician was unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 6,150...updated 01/23/2014

- Henderson , NV, USA

Dec 032013

Escape 4-cyl

In Sep 2013 Escape with ecoboost engine died either when slowing for a stop sign or (worse) when slowing down via coasting on transition ramp between two freeways at about 30 miles per hour. This required stopping car and putting in park so that engine could be restarted. Serious safety concern: I am very concerned that I could be rear ended on the freeway due to this. Ford claimed this was a known problem fixed by Ford tsb 13-7-5 which indicates this issue is due to corrosion of connection terminals of the supercharger for 1.6L or 2.0 L Escape engine. Result was replacement of wire harness which appeared to make engine run better. In Nov/Dec 2013 engine died again twice within about two weeks at about 30 mph when slowing and transitioning between freeways on ramp. Later, after getting gas, car exhibited "engine fault - service engine now" message when I started the car after fueling. Had car towed to Ford. Ford states problem is fixed by tsb 13-12-12 (applied yesterday) which supersedes tsb 13-7-5. I am not confident this will fix the issue and believe there may be a problem with the computer when slowing down via coasting rather than breaking.

- Los Gatos Ca, CA, USA

Nov 252013

Escape 4-cyl

Now that it is colder out, my car has gone from overheating to misfiring from the defective cac/torque converter in this car. I've noticed that the misfiring does not show up on the check engine light or was able to be read by my obd reader. Misfiring can ruin the catalytic converter and cause emission issues. It is illegal in California (where I'm a resident) to not follow the obd II protocol for reporting emission problems since we have this inspected for registration. When my car has overheated, only Ford was able to pull the code & I also didn't get a check engine light. It's apparent now that Ford has rigged the obd in this car so that only they can retrieve codes. Misfiring is easy for you to replicate to verify my statement. Unplug one cylinder, start the car, see if you get a flashing check engine light and a P030X code.

Aug 102012

Escape

Purchased Aug 2012 had nothing but problems since day one wipers, rattles in front end steering stalls on take off also a gas smell strong makes eyes water wife will not drive car I am a retired Ford tech 20 years experience with Ford.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Nov 182013

Escape 4-cyl

My car is still overheating after bringing it into the dealer 6 times. They have done the recall fix twice now. There appears to be smoke coming out of my hood now with a burnt smell. The burning and coolant smell is triggering my asthma while driving.

Feb 272013

Escape

Very disappointed by the design. Wheel well are extremely difficult to remove ice and slush they are too small and can't remove debris. Wipers in the front is not the greatest. Loses contact on windshield have a heard time seeing where I am going. Terrible wipers when purchased new wipers required. Engine having really odd noise and sluggish. I supposed they replaced the injectors. Had some torque but sounds like timing chain loose or lifters issue. Seats are not comfortable in the rear. Not enough cushion. Windows barely went up and down. Lots of give... too much replaced front window motors.

- Camden, AR, USA

Apr 012013

Escape 4-cyl

My car keeps overheating. Here are some videos. www.youtube.com/watch"V=xgpiqxzg_ho&feature=youtu.be you can see it high at the start of this video & starting again around 50S. www.youtube.com/watch"V=3ktaa6tt_6C&feature=youtu.be this is an older video from April.

May 012013

Escape 4-cyl

My Ford Escape 1.6L engine will overheat if I park it by the beach all day & then try to drive over the foothills to the valley. This is a consistent and repeatable problem. I have two videos that I showed Ford but apparently they can't fix it. This car is not safe to drive since my car can overheat when I'm on a road like highway 17, which doesn't have a shoulder.

Oct 132013

Escape 4-cyl

My 2013 Ford Escape stalled twice while going slow on a local road in July of this year. After the second stall (a week apart) I brought it in for service (levittown Ford) and they could not find nor recreate the problem (they had it 4 days). It stalled again twice on Sunday October 13, 2013, once going through the ez pass lane at the verrazano bridge and again about 45 mins later on a secondary road in NJ, again going slow (under 15 mph). We reported this to levittown Ford service and also to corporate. The service department told me that when it happens again we shouldn't restart the car and call for Ford roadside assistance. Corporate has not returned my call. We are concerned that we may get rear ended in a serious accident if the car stalls again and the car / truck behind us doesn't stop in time (e.g. harry chapin on the lie) I don't believe the break lights would go on since the car completely shuts off. We Transport our two grandchildren two days a week from school / nursery school and are extremely concerned. Is there anything we can do?

- Franklin Square, NY, USA

Oct 192013

Escape 4-cyl

After driving approximately 90 miles without a stop, stopped at traffic signal, vehicle engine went completely dead. Put in park and it restarted. Did this again approximately 11 times during the day. Engine just cut off completely at every traffic stop. Took to dealer. Dealer very responsive but can get no error code and does not know why it is happening. They can not get it to cut off while driving it only a few miles at a time. This it the 2.0 L engine and I see other people are experiencing the same problem with no fix. Dealer has vehicle trying to figure out why it is happening. How about Ford Motor Company stepping up and addressing the problem before someone gets hurt or killed in an accident.

- Troutman, NC, USA

Feb 162013

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the engine gases and fumes entered the passenger compartment due to a defective windshield dowing that caused engine compartment seal to fail. In addition, the vehicle stalled several times without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failures and a diagnostic was performed but did not generate a diagnosis of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 156 and the current mileage was 64,000.

- Wilkesbarre, PA, USA

Sep 172013

Escape

Within just 3 weeks of purchasing our certified pre-owned 2013 Escape titanium (16K miles), the vehicle stalled twice while stopping at an intersection. Dash lights come on, put it in park, turn it off and restart and I am back on the road. Now 2 months since purchase, it has stalled like this 7 times. A few times, we have gotten the "engine fault take vehicle for service" message when starting the vehicle, but this does not coincide with the days of the stalls. I have taken it to the local Ford dealership twice to no avail. The vehicles computer is not storing any codes to identify the failure. Technicians have driven the vehicle extensively with a laptop constantly diagnosing searching for issues. Nothing. This is truly unbelievable to me that this problem is possible in a new vehicle, let alone that it cannot be diagnosed! I am very worried after reading other complaints on this site that it may just be a matter of time before it stalls in busy traffic.

- Mason, MI, USA

Aug 302013

Escape

On August 30, 2013, I was slowing down to pull into a driveway and the car lost all power. Luckily, I was at the driveway and it was downhill so the car rolled in. I couldn't figure out what was going on at first. I called the dealer immediately and was told to bring it in. I did and they said some people had complained of this issue but it wasn't a recall or service bulletin. They did a software update and told me I shouldn't have a problem. Not good enough. They couldn't tell me this would fix the problem. Now I am left to worry that this could happen at any time. Not acceptable. Yesterday, September 23, it happened again as I was stopping at a stop sign. What can I do about this? I have had this car for 9 months. I am past frustrated. The dealership doesn't seem concerned at all about what is going on. $36,000 dollars and I am left with an unsafe vehicle.

- Champlain, NY, USA

Sep 272012

Escape

I have a Ford case # 15607552, I qualify for the lemon law. I cannot get the dealer, dahl Ford, davenport ia or the Ford rep jeff slone, Chicago, il to return my calls. I have all documentation - this car continues to be a safety issue while driving. The engine continues to accelerate and hesitate randomly. Please, help me - I cannot afford a lawyer.

- Hampton, IL, USA

Aug 212013

Escape

2013 Ford Escape 2.0 ecoboost stalled at a stop sign 8/21/13. The car stereo shut off first then a oil light went on and the car completely turned off. I was able to put it in park and restart the car like nothing happened. The Ford dealership said there were error codes but they could not duplicate the problem. Nothing was fixed told us to keep driving it until it happened again. We were not happy. Today 9/7/13, this time the car stalled at a stoplight, but the power stayed on oil light was on. There were no rpms. Had to put car in park and restart. We started to drive to the dealership and it stalled a 2nd time about a half mile away same issue every time the red oil light appears. We have no answer to what is causing this problem.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Aug 282013

Escape 4-cyl

While sitting at a light with my foot on the brake, car jumps/lunges forward. It feels as though someone is hitting it from behind.

- Crosby, TX, USA