Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

2013 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 12)

Apr 182014

On April 18,2014 car was in a Ford dealership because I heard a rattle coming from underneath the car a day or two before. I noticed the heat shield was falling off and tearing away from a bolt. The dealership at that time stated I must have driven over something to cause it to come off. They charged me for the repair. Now it is April 14,2015 and the same problem is happening all over again. Same noise and tearing away from bolt again.. I have contacted Ford customer service again to open another case about this same issue.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Jan 092014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and the engine failure light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer eights times; however, the remedy failed to the repair the vehicle. The last two times the vehicle was taken to the dealer, the wires to the power train control module were spliced but the failure persisted. The contact found NHTSA campaign number: 14V495000 (electrical system), but the manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 14,520. Updated 6/3/15

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Mar 152015

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving at approximately 65 mph, the contact heard an unusual noise outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. The contact inspected underneath the vehicle and noticed that the exhaust heat shield cover detached. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was repaired. The details of the repairs were unavailable. In addition, the timing peg bolt was missing from the engine and caused oil leakage. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 20,400....updated 05/11/15 the consumer has since sold the vehicle. Updated 05/14/15...updated 06/09/15 updated 06/16/15

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 212014

Escape 4-cyl

In August 2014, January 2015, February 2015, and March 2015 my vehicle went into "failsafe" mode due to an overheating engine, among other problems. The vehicle was towed each time to the Ford dealer's service center where the lease originated. Failsafe mode cuts power to the brain of the vehicle which shuts down the engine to "safely" stop the vehicle so the car doesn't light itself on fire. The car literally goes from 60 to 0 in a matter of minutes. Any time the vehicle has gone into failsafe mode I have been terrified of causing an accident or getting rearended. The car has been in and out of the Ford service center and pep boys for repetitive engine issues, coolant system issues, transmission issues, computer system issues, etc. There are 9 recalls on the car thus far, 8 of them have been fixed - the airbag recall does not apply to my vehicle because the airbag light is not on. My car has spent a total of 28 days in the shop since it was leased in 2013 for repeat repairs. I tried several times to have Ford buy back the remainder of the lease but was denied because the issues did not take place within the first 18,000 miles of the lease. I also filed for New York state lemon law and was denied for the same reason. I was forced to roll the remaining 9 payments ($4,044) into a new lease for a 2015 Ford Escape on 3/9/15 because the 2013 Escape was unpredictable and problematic - it was not safe to be on the road. The engine overheated approximately every 6 days for two months and it was deemed "unrepairable" by the mechanic but corporate still refused to buy back the lease. Speaking of corporate - I was treated terribly by the regional customer service manager. She screened her phone calls and refused to call me back unless I asked for a supervisor. She spoke to me like she was punishing her 5 year old child and her favorite word was "no."

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Mar 132015

Escape 4-cyl

Motor started running very poorly missing and bucking with reduced power then the engine default service now light came on I took it to the closest Ford dealer where they finally told me it has a wiring harness issue which is not covered by manufacturer although this same issue has been recalled for other Escapes with different engine size.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

Mar 032015

Vehicle loses power and stalls either idling after start or within a tenth of a mile. This occurs even if the vehicle has been driven extensively then parked and restarted or from a cold start. This condition is hazardous as power has been lost entering traffic. The car must be stopped and placed in park and restarted. This occurs about every other day. Ford dealership replaced splices in wiring harness per Ford tsb15-0005. Problem recurred. Returned to Ford. Throttle body replaced. Problem recurred; returning to Ford again.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Aug 072014

Escape 4-cyl

Back in Aug. 2014 I got a recall - 14S17 Oct. 2014 got a recall - 14S21 I have been calling our Ford dealer each month and they still don't have the parts. So I continue to get a card from Ford reminding me of the recall and to contact the Ford dealer today. Well then, why don't the Ford dealers have the parts.

- Gladys, VA, USA

Dec 172014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle restarted after numerous attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V495000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Feb 192015

Escape 4-cyl

Recall repair done in August 2014 for well publicized localized overheating of cylinder head issue. Have had two instances of overheating since... the last incident occurred on 2/19. The vehicle went to low power mode and instructed my wife to pull over immediately and stop engine... she did.... after sitting for approx 10 minutes she restarted the engine and temperatures returned to normal however the engine light is now on and I will be taking the vehicle for repairs again on Monday. I am very concerned about the reliability of this vehicle and specifically this engine option. I have no idea what damage was caused by this latest incident... I'm sure there will be some residual longevity impacts if I keep the vehicle. I predict that this engine will continue to have issues.. both incidents did occur during extreme cold (below zero) so it seems to be cooling system related... which was the basis of the original recall.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 292014

Escape 4-cyl

Oil leak found at routine oil change. Oil leak was with turbocharger. Turbocharger was replaced. Engine shuts down due to low oil. This car is extremely dangerous to drive in high traffic areas due to unknown shutdowns. Car exhaust is a blue cloud. Car exhaust pipes drip oil. The car sticks of oil. The windows need constant cleaning for oil residue. Ford says oil consumption test passes. Ford refuses to test the engine oil level after 3000 miles and adding one quart of oil. Ford is making every effort to get this vehicle out of the warranty period by refusing to admit their failure to accurately perform an oil consumption test with documentation. Ford refuses to perform another oil consumption test. This car is a lemon. I4 engine is a gutless gas-guzzler.

- Garrison, MN, USA

Oct 142014

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle went into power saving mode. The vehicle's speed reduced and the check engine warning light illuminated. The engine was shut off then restarted, and the vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure recurred multiple times intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The mat sensor was replaced, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000.

- Opelika, AL, USA

Jan 302015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle overheated and stalled. Additionally, the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Upper Marlboro, MI, USA

Feb 122014

This is an intermittent power loss issue on a 2013 Ford Escape purchased on December 31, 2013. We have had the issue since that date. At speeds under 35mph and always while making a turn, the vehicle loses all power and must be coasted to a safe spot, stopped, put into park, and then turning the key to restart. This issue happens 1-4 times a week during daily use. We have taken it to the dealer ship 3 times. The first two times I notified them of the issue verbally, but since it did not happen during their test drives, nothing was done or noted. This last time, the issue occurred on December 24, 2014, while making a left hand turn through a city intersection that also put the vehicle on a slight incline, the power was lost, and we could not coast to safety to restart the vehicle. Another vehicle had to lock its brakes to avoid a collision. On Jan 2, 2015 I took the vehicle back to lakewood Ford in lakewood, wa where it was purchased. They had the vehicle from Jan 2 - Jan 9 2015. They test drove it a total of 26 miles. They did not use a "flight recorder" to capture any data. The vehicle is still under warranty and I will be taking it to every Ford dealership I can find until one of them acknowledges and repairs the issue. I will also be recording video of the issue. The camera will capture the instrumentation and road.

- Gig Harbpr, WA, USA

Dec 272014

Escape 4-cyl

Car has been giving us an error message "engine fault service now" since we bought the vehicle. Ford has been unable to repair for the life of the vehicle. The car has no started to shut off in traffic. The incident on 12/27 I was slowing down in heavy traffic and the vehicle shut off. Cars where able to avoid us and we were able get the car restarted but it is becoming a hazard to not only us but everyone on the road. Two weeks prior the car shut off while we were at a red light. Ford has been unable to fix and unwilling to work with us on this issue. I have seen comments on line that other people have faced similar problems with the 2013 Escape. We just want the safe working car that we thought we paid for. We have tried everything and been very patient but now it is a safety hazard.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Dec 292014

Escape 4-cyl

Just turned on car and was pulling out of the driveway. The information light came on and said it was low on coolant. I noticed a burning type smell when I got out of the car to see how low the coolant was. This car had been recalled before for engine coolant leaks and overheating. I took my car in to get that recall fixed in May 2014 and now it's having that problem again. I don't know if something else broke or that they didn't fix it right. I didn't buy this car brand new so I could take it in like 5 times for recalls. I also checked the coolant level last week and it was at the level it should be it may be a fast leak.

- Milan, IL, USA

Nov 202014

The vehicle had been turned in to brown daub Ford in nazareth, pa where it was reported to have died twice on the road. They then reported it died on them twice also. They replaced the engine fuel pump as this is the ecoboost there are two pumps (one at fueltank one at engine) and returned the car. It drove for 30 minutes and died again in an intersection where it almost caused a serious accident. The dealership wrote up the complaint as car wants to stall which is not what was said. They were told it died and was dangerous, they returned it with the same mileage as they took it in so it was not test driven. This is a very dangerous problem and will cause a death. The none turbo engine has a recall for wireharness splices not done properly and that is what this sounds like. Please look into this.

- Easton, PA, USA

Nov 092014

Escape 4-cyl

Engine was making odd noise, red light appeared on instrument panel. Driver pulled to side of road. Car began smoking. Driver exited vehicle. Driver called 911 and waved for help. Vehicle burst into flames approximately 30 second after driver exited vehicle. Car completely burned.

- Cupertino, CA, USA

Nov 102014

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

While slowing down for a stop light on a busy state highway, and without warning vehicle stalled. Loss of electric temporarily. No collision bc vehicle behind me was able to swerve.

- Buffalo , NY, USA

Oct 292014

Escape 4-cyl

10/29/14: While in the buffalo, NY area, I turned on the car and noticed the engine fault service nowŁ notice came on. After I clicked ok to make the message go away I put the car in drive and tried to accelerate but noticed the engine was very sluggish. The car had no pickup even with the little pressure I applied to the gas pedal. The tachometer was acting sporadic and the engine felt as though it was close to cutting out. I decided to err on the side of caution and since we were in a big open parking lot I decided to park the car and call for a tow truck to take us to the nearest Ford dealership. The dealer (basil Ford, cheektowaga, NY) kept the car overnight and replaced a sensor. 11/9/14: At local shopping center, I started the car the ┐┐engine fault service now┐Ł notice came on again and when I put the car in gear and applied pressure to the gas pedal I could feel the engine was sluggish. But this time I parked the car and turned the engine off and waited for a minute and turned the engine back on. When I turned car back on the engine fault notice did not come on and the engine seemed fine. Apparently the sensor fix did not fix the problem concerned for safety now based on other reports by drivers.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jun 022014

The car stalls at low speeds, after braking and then trying to accelerate. It's happened at least 8 times, and it's been to the Ford dealer (veterans Ford in tampa) at least 4 times to check it out, but the service dept cannot duplicate the problem. They have run tests, and checked for 'codes' in the engine, but no codes appeared, although the last time, I drove it directly to the dealer after it stalled. It always restarts, but I'm often in traffic and dangerous situations. It's very sporadic, and there is no warning before it stalls.

- Tampa, FL, USA