CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

The 2013 is the first model year of the Escape's 3rd generation and proves once again that you want to avoid the first model year when at all possible.

2013 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 13)

May 252015

Escape

When starting, car shows "engine fault, service now" light. Took to dealership three times, has not been resolved. Recently, when braking for a stop light, engine fault reappeared and lost all power to the transmission. Huge safety issue.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 182015

Escape

Issues related per tsb #asi-44451 (NHTSA id #10055312) 2.0L motor lack of air conditioning on idle stuck in Chicago with over heating indicator lamp on display and overheating

- Churubusco, IN, USA

Jun 052015

Escape

On the commute to work, the vehicle was on the expressway going the allowed speed limit of 70 miles per hour, suddenly the dashboard sensor light indicated to "check transmission, " the vehicle immediately stalled on the expressway. This vehicle has had multiple recalls due to wiring and stalling since it was purchased new in 2013. Vehicle has been taken in to repair recalls every time letter was received and above stated incident still occurred, despite very diligent maintennance....updated08/20/15

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Mar 152015

Escape

While traveling down the highway in plover Wisconsin, smoke began to pour into the vehicle via the front vents. I looked forward and saw massive flames coming from under my hood. I quickly pulled over, shut the vehicle off and ran. I call 911, where it took 15 firemen and 500 gal of water to put out the 10ft flames (see fire report). The entire front end of my car has been destroyed along with all the contents. The fire broke through the firewall and melted underneath the dashboard. Front tires exploded

- Morton Grove, IL, USA

May 152015

Escape

On 5/15/15, while driving on the interstate for approximately 1.5 hours, the notification for low engine coolant came on. Upon inspection, the coolant level was down about 1 inch from the max level. Please, note that the coolant was topped off one week prior. Coolant level was filled to max level again. On 6/6/15, upon starting vehicle, the notification for low engine coolant came on again immediately. The car had not been driven in 24 hours up to that time. Upon inspection, the coolant level was again about 1 inch below the max level. Vehicle will be taken to dealership service center for inspection/repair.

- Gautier, MS, USA

Feb 262015

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving at 30 mph, the vehicle decelerated, the transmission failed to shift into gear, and the check engine warning light illuminated. The engine was shut off and restarted, and the vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure recurred multiple times intermittently. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 14,200.

- Marcelluf, NY, USA

Apr 082014

Escape

Starting in April of 2014 when the car was only 9 months old the warning light came on "get to safety" overheating engine. It went to pleasantville Ford where they replaced the engine. 1 month later all the transmission fluid fell out of the care. Back to pleasantville Ford where they replaced a part. Over the next 8 months the warning over heating "get to safety" would happen another 7 times. Ford would tow the car to pleasantville Ford they would fix (a sensor, fill fluid, and give me the run around) the final time I filled a complaint with BBB. They got a Ford mechanic from deer born, mi to look at the car. He replaced the radiator and right axial. Only for two weeks later the same "get to safety" and the car dies again.

- Ossining, NY, USA

May 162015

Escape

I am stationed in germany with the us military and have taken my Ford to the : fordgarage, merkurstr.11 67663 kaiserslautern +49 0631 41 65 0 for all recalls and services. My problem/complaint: My engine/emissions light comes on and stays on( no blinking) three(3) times and goes off for three(3) and continues at each time I start my vehicle. The Ford shop said that all system are normal but the light continues and they cannot figure out the cause. I need assistance it makes me nervous every time I drive.

- Apo , AE, USA

May 052015

Escape

Driving on the freeway in traffic due to an accident on the shoulder, about 35 mph. I went to accelerate after passing the accident, I took my foot off the gas around 60 mph. The RPM's were bouncing up and down, and the car continued to accelerated. I slammed the brakes around 90 mph. The engine continued to rev as I pulled to the shoulder. A sheriff left the scene of the accident I passed after seeing what happened. The sheriff escorted me off the freeway, as my car would not go over 40 without revving the engine. I was escorted to the dealer, who stated they had not heard of this happening before.

- Mequon, WI, USA

Apr 112015

Escape

Bought a 2013 used (clean car fax) Ford Escape Thursday April 8th, 2015. On Saturday April 11th, the car engine light came on, said the engine was overheating and pull over safe. Before we were able to pull over the car went from full speed to safe mode with no power to move the car. We drifted to the side of the road, without getting hit by another car (miracle). We had the Escape towed to dick smith Ford in raytown, mo. They flashed the PCM, and said it fixed the problem. I have had the Escape back 3 weeks and it did it again same thing on the highway again on May 2nd. I was going 70mph and barely made it to the side; the back of my car was in the right lane of the highway. The Escape said engine overheated pull over safe, went from 70mph to nothing in less than 5 seconds. I was dodging cars to pull over, but I had no power and could not move the car. I call for roadside and told them it was an emergency, I was going to be hit and could be killed if I did not get help right away. Once again we had the Escape towed to dick smith Ford in raytown, were it is still to this day being looked at. They have to call tech support/engineer to find the problem. I called Ford customer service Monday morning May 4th. I was given a case number and was told a regional service manager would call me. It has been two days and no calls from Ford. I am very upset and angry. This Escape is under full factory warranty still, and it is not safe to drive. My family could of been killed in an accident because of this car. I need help dealing with Ford over this issue. They need to make this public before something horrible happens. I can't temp fate for a 3rd time.

- Independence, MO, USA

Apr 252015

Escape

The vehicle was driving fine while utilizing cruise control going 70 mph. All of a sudden chime sounded and engine stalled. Cluster had message "shift into park" my turn signals didn't work as well. Instrument cluster died completely as I went to pull over. Turned on hazards and shifted into park and restarted vehicle. Was able to control the situation.

- St.Paul, MN, USA

Mar 162015

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

I've been to dave crossley dealer ship 3 times on the problem with my car it pops up message engine fault service know. This will be the 4th time they have tried to fix my car 2nd time it did it I was picking up my 7 yr old child when it did it. It is not a safe car to be driving in when message pops up engine just stops. I bought this car to be reliable for me to get to work every day something has to be done about this. One day I will be going to work and message does it on a freeway then you will see a law suit on your hands.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Apr 182014

Escape

On April 18,2014 car was in a Ford dealership because I heard a rattle coming from underneath the car a day or two before. I noticed the heat shield was falling off and tearing away from a bolt. The dealership at that time stated I must have driven over something to cause it to come off. They charged me for the repair. Now it is April 14,2015 and the same problem is happening all over again. Same noise and tearing away from bolt again.. I have contacted Ford customer service again to open another case about this same issue.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Jan 092014

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and the engine failure light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer eights times; however, the remedy failed to the repair the vehicle. The last two times the vehicle was taken to the dealer, the wires to the power train control module were spliced but the failure persisted. The contact found NHTSA campaign number: 14V495000 (electrical system), but the manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 14,520. Updated 6/3/15

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Mar 152015

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving at approximately 65 mph, the contact heard an unusual noise outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. The contact inspected underneath the vehicle and noticed that the exhaust heat shield cover detached. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was repaired. The details of the repairs were unavailable. In addition, the timing peg bolt was missing from the engine and caused oil leakage. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 20,400....updated 05/11/15 the consumer has since sold the vehicle. Updated 05/14/15...updated 06/09/15 updated 06/16/15

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 212014

Escape 4-cyl

In August 2014, January 2015, February 2015, and March 2015 my vehicle went into "failsafe" mode due to an overheating engine, among other problems. The vehicle was towed each time to the Ford dealer's service center where the lease originated. Failsafe mode cuts power to the brain of the vehicle which shuts down the engine to "safely" stop the vehicle so the car doesn't light itself on fire. The car literally goes from 60 to 0 in a matter of minutes. Any time the vehicle has gone into failsafe mode I have been terrified of causing an accident or getting rearended. The car has been in and out of the Ford service center and pep boys for repetitive engine issues, coolant system issues, transmission issues, computer system issues, etc. There are 9 recalls on the car thus far, 8 of them have been fixed - the airbag recall does not apply to my vehicle because the airbag light is not on. My car has spent a total of 28 days in the shop since it was leased in 2013 for repeat repairs. I tried several times to have Ford buy back the remainder of the lease but was denied because the issues did not take place within the first 18,000 miles of the lease. I also filed for New York state lemon law and was denied for the same reason. I was forced to roll the remaining 9 payments ($4,044) into a new lease for a 2015 Ford Escape on 3/9/15 because the 2013 Escape was unpredictable and problematic - it was not safe to be on the road. The engine overheated approximately every 6 days for two months and it was deemed "unrepairable" by the mechanic but corporate still refused to buy back the lease. Speaking of corporate - I was treated terribly by the regional customer service manager. She screened her phone calls and refused to call me back unless I asked for a supervisor. She spoke to me like she was punishing her 5 year old child and her favorite word was "no."

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Mar 132015

Escape 4-cyl

Motor started running very poorly missing and bucking with reduced power then the engine default service now light came on I took it to the closest Ford dealer where they finally told me it has a wiring harness issue which is not covered by manufacturer although this same issue has been recalled for other Escapes with different engine size.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

Mar 032015

Escape

Vehicle loses power and stalls either idling after start or within a tenth of a mile. This occurs even if the vehicle has been driven extensively then parked and restarted or from a cold start. This condition is hazardous as power has been lost entering traffic. The car must be stopped and placed in park and restarted. This occurs about every other day. Ford dealership replaced splices in wiring harness per Ford tsb15-0005. Problem recurred. Returned to Ford. Throttle body replaced. Problem recurred; returning to Ford again.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Aug 072014

Escape 4-cyl

Back in Aug. 2014 I got a recall - 14S17 Oct. 2014 got a recall - 14S21 I have been calling our Ford dealer each month and they still don't have the parts. So I continue to get a card from Ford reminding me of the recall and to contact the Ford dealer today. Well then, why don't the Ford dealers have the parts.

- Gladys, VA, USA

Dec 172014

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle restarted after numerous attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V495000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA