CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

The 2013 is the first model year of the Escape's 3rd generation and proves once again that you want to avoid the first model year when at all possible.

2013 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 13)

May 232014

Escape 4-cyl

1.6L ecoboost: Service engine indicator comes on. Dealer has determined several instances of engine misfire. Initially too, a more urgent indicator light came on (amber) indicating that the coolant level is low. A yet more urgent indicator light comes on (red) indicating the engine is overheating and the engine is reduced to running on two cylinders. However, this indication appeared only shortly after the engine was started, and surely at that point, the engine was far from overheating. On other and subsequent incidences, engine misfires during the first seconds following start-up. After 3 to 5 seconds, engine usually stops misfiring. On a couple of occasions, this misfire-at-start-up event has been accompanied by a faint odor of antifreeze. The most recent misfire-at-start-up event included a faint smell of something/not fuel or oil, and gray smoke from the exhaust. Because dealer has tested the cooling system (okay) and no hint of coolant has been found on the ground or engine compartment, I'm now assuming that coolant is getting into one or more of cylinders, either from the engine head or from the turbo charger (it is water-cooled, I'm told) and is then coming out of the exhaust. Both tail pipes are carboned up. Mention of is made on several web posts and is apparently a common occurrence with ecoboost engines?? based on my vast (high school) knowledge of chemistry and the oxidation process, that just ain't right. I have asked fmc to replace the vehicle. They have thus far declined to do so.

- Belton, MO, USA

Apr 222014

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle sputtered and shut off while in traffic at approx. 35 mph. This has happened 3 more times, it is now at the dealer for the 4th time in attempt to repair. Ford has so far been unable to provide the dealer with an adequate explanation or fix. The dealer has been more than cooperative but is at the mercy of Ford. A vehicle shutting off for no apparent reason and without warning could lead to serious injuries.

- Southampton, PA, USA

Jun 032014

Escape 4-cyl

On the first incident I was slowing down to make a left turn in a busy intersection. The service engine now default light came on and the car stalled. I was nearly killed as cars had to swerve to go around me. The second and third incidents happened as I slowed down to make a right hand turn. The car has also stalled at stop signs.

- Cleves, OH, USA

May 082014

Escape 4-cyl

I have 2013 Ford Escape titanium.I have to have the car towed into coughlin Ford, johnstown, oh twice. This is what the car was doing. Vehicle bucked and lurched and went into limp mode. The car quit and would not restart. I called Ford roadside assistance and had it towed to coughlin Ford, johnstown, oh. Coughlin called and said that they could not find anything wrong with the car. On the second occasion the car ran very rough, the engine fault light came on. Again it did the same problem. Could barely get it home. I was on a busy highway nearly being hit both times. Again the car was towed to coughlin Ford. Later was called saying they could not duplicate the problem. We are senior citizens and very afraid to take the car anywhere. Twice we have had to rent a car.

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Jun 122014

Escape 4-cyl

Since our 2013 Ford Escape had the Ford recall 13S12C and 13S12D completed in early April, the vehicle fuel mileage has dropped by an average of 2 mpg. Some aerodynamic features of the vehicle were compromised under the recall to help keep the engine from over heating and starting a fire. Its a good thing we leased this vehicle because we will be returning it to the dealer when the lease is up and most likely will not purchase a Ford vehicle to replace it. Buyer beware of 2013 Ford Escapes built in late 2012 and early 2013 with the 1.6 liter ecoboost engine.

- Beloit, WI, USA

Mar 302014

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle bucked, lurched and went into "limp mode" and would not accelerate over 40 mph on a 70 mph interstate highway (just as I was trying to enter the highway) engine service light came on and I called Ford roadside to have it towed to the dealership. This was actually the second time. This had happened previously but I cannot find the date - that time, I was entering the same interstate and the car did the same thing and I "limped" the car to the dealership (only being able to drive 40 mph on a 60 mph four lane highway.) on 6/3/2014, the car did the same thing as I was attempting to enter interstate 35 (70 mph) - again - bucking, lurching and then going into the "limp mode". very scared to drive this car anywhere as I fear being hit or killed on the highways because of the cars inability to go anywhere near the speed limit. This is very much a safety issue especially for the area that I live in because all the roadways around me are at least 60 mph or higher and Ford has not been able to fix this problem. The car's engine is now idling very rough, too, so there are other issues with this engine.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Jun 012014

Escape 4-cyl

My 2013 Ford Escape started with a jolting, rocking and rough ride. The engine fault service now light came on. If you turned it off and restarted it, would be ok and light would not come back on. This started around 28,000 miles. I took to Ford dealer and they kept for a day, hooked to computer and told me nothing was coming up as wrong. They took it out on the road and could not replicate it. But they did fix 5 recalls on it! 4 days later with the air conditioner on while making a left turn on a busy road, the engine went completely dead. I nearly missed having a car hit me broadside. Then 5 days later as I was making a right hand turn, the engine once again completely died. By some very good luck the car behind me was able to go around me. I had my small grandson and granddaughter in the back seat. They could have been seriously injured had I been rear ended. I called the Ford dealer and was told my the service manager what did I expect them to do since it keeps telling them nothing is wrong when hooked to the computer ( in a very sarcastic tone). Then again today, the engine went completely dead coming out of my granddaughter school in front of a school bus!! I think Ford is going to wait until people actually die in a an accident before even attempting to try to correct this problem. I am so distraught that I don't know what to do. GM waited to long and look what happened to them!

- Bel Air , MD, USA

May 312014

Escape 4-cyl

Car stalled while driving at 35 mph with no warning, nearly causing an accident.

- Smynra, GA, USA

Jan 062014

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V583000 (engine) and stated that the parts were not available. The dealer did not give a specific date when the parts would become available. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the contact's vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 08/14/2014

- Livingston, NJ, USA

May 252014

Escape 4-cyl

As I was slowing to turn left the car stalled in the middle of the intersection. And again, as I stopped at the stop sign, it stalled again. I took this car into the dealer ( third time) because of the stalling issue and I had just picked it up from the dealer service department, (who said they could not find anything) when the car stalled a mile away from the shop. It was closing time on a holiday weekend, when I picked it up, so they were closed by the time I turned around.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Nov 132013

Escape

Engine fault, service engine now. Automobile loss of power, stall, engine cuts off completely at any given time. Hopefully to help so many people on this site with the same problem. My vehicle did this for many months and always the same answer from Ford and dealership...no error code so nothing is wrong. Finally it happened as I pulled up to dealership for oil change. So they could clearly see what the car was doing and there was an error code. I looks to be addressed by Ford tsb 13-7-5 superseded by Ford tsb 13-12-12 wiring harness fault in signal return splices. Why has NHTSA and Ford Motor Company not nationally published this information so all dealership understand (hopefully) the solution to this very dangerous problem. Amazing so many dealership are not aware of all Ford tsb's.

- Troutman, NC, USA

May 192014

Escape 4-cyl

2013 Ford Escape as I back out of parking lot, car dies, engine light comes on and oil light appears also. Car also shut down at busy intersection. Took car into dealership next morning, started car up and it died, did this 3 times and the Ford service man witnessed this. They have had car 4 days in the shop. Shop foreman has driven car home to see if it can be duplicated and can not. They say when they hook up to computer no problems register. They just called and said I have to pick up the car today, they can't keep it any longer. If it happens again, to bring it in. Very frustrated. Hope I don't get hit and injured!!

- Belton, MO, USA

Sep 252013

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle started with warning 'engine fault service now'. restarted vehicle and message was gone. Later that day while driving we noticed severe jerking of the vehicle while changing speeds and noticed the engine fault warning was displayed. Pulled vehicle over. Restarted and the warning was gone. Brought to dealer for over 2 days and they were unable to reproduce error and therefore unable to fix anything. Months later the problem started recurring again while reducing speed on a highway exit resulting in extreme vehicle jerking as if transmission was failing, at this time we noticed the engine fault warning had reappeared. Contacted Ford service center and they will take another look, but without a recall there will be nothing that can do. With so many similar complaints it is astonishing that this is not a known resolvable issue for Ford.

- Fairport, NY, USA

Mar 112014

Escape 4-cyl

The car stalls intermittently. The first time 3/11/2014 was the day following my service for oil change and tire rotation. I was pulling away from my house and the car just stalled. I put it into park and the car restarted. The next time was 3/17/2014, again I was pulling away from my house and the car stalled, started beeping and a service engine now light came on. I restarted the car, parked and called the dealership. A towing company picked up the car and took it to the dealer. The dealer informed me that nothing showed up in the memory and they could not do anything because it wasn't happening for them. They kept the car for several days before I picked it up. Approximately 2 weeks later the car stalled again while I was on the freeway on ramp. I tried to call the dealer but the phone would not work. Ford took the car again and could not find anything in the memory. Within 2 weeks this happened again while getting onto the freeway. In addition to the stalling problem, the sync system has reset itself, the compasses are not functioning properly, the external temperature gauge doesn't work all the time and now the phone randomly starts calling people. I was given a phone number for corporate by the dealership. I called and after playing phone tag for several days the representative (joshua) told me that if it stalls again that I should not attempt to restart the car and I need to call the roadside assistance number and wait for them to come. In addition, he said under no circumstances should they attempt to restart the car because if they do it will reset the memory and Ford cannot fix the problem. I asked about the recalls on my car and was told there were none; however, I was on the website and there are 2. I asked why Ford did not send me a recall notice and he told me that Ford doesn't do that. I am afraid to drive my car. Its been to Ford 7 times now. Help!

- Corona, CA, USA

May 132014

Escape 4-cyl

While turning at a speed of approximately 5 mph the car stalled causing the loss of power steering and power brakes. This was the third incident of the car stalling. "williamsburg Ford and preowned" serviced the car today and found no fault codes. Claim that they can not service the car without Ford's authorization via "recall". this vehicle is potentially dangerous once a stall occurs to a driver from side or rear impact. This needs action from the NHTSA and Ford.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

May 142014

Escape 4-cyl

The "engine fault, service now" light came on and the car would not accelerate. I had to pull over and hit ok in order to turn off vehicle. When I got out of the car it smelled like burning in the engine. After researching this online it is worrisome that this is not part of a recall yet. It seems there are many of these Escapes with the same issue, some catching fire. Please advise!

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Apr 122014

Escape 4-cyl

2013 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to recall notice problems. The dealer informed the consumer, the part had not been manufactured, and it would be awhile, before any parts would be available. The consumer referenced recall # 13V583000.

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

May 092014

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 40 mph, the contact was advised by another driver that smoke emitted from underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where flames were seen from under the hood. When the contact moved away from the vehicle it exploded. There were no injuries. The fire department extinguished the fire. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 27,000.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Apr 152014

Escape

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle started making a clanking noise. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. When the vehicle was observed the front tires were bent outward. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who stated that the under pan needed to be replaced in order to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 14V165000(structure, frame and members); however, it did not completely repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Hampshire, IL, USA

Oct 012013

Escape

2013 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to "engine fault- service now" warning appeared on the dash when starting vehicle. Consumer states vehicle stalled and lost all power. The consumer stated the first engine fault light happened in October 2013. He turned the engine off and re-started it again, and the light didn't come back on. The second fault occurrence as he was leaving the house in mid-February. The vehicle moved very sluggishly and didn't appear to be getting any power. On March 15, 2014, the vehicle stalled and lost all power. The only message that displayed said to put the vehicle in park. Fortunately, the vehicle started again. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but a diagnostic test didn't reveal any problems. The dealer kept the vehicle for 2 weeks, with no success in finding a problem. The next morning, the engine fault service no error message appeared on the dash. When his wife attempted to drive away, the vehicle accelerated sharply and took off down the road at a high rate of speed, leaving her with no control of the acceleration or speed of the vehicle. She applied the brakes, and the vehicle stopped. The consumer drove the vehicle to the dealer, and on the way there, it repeatedly sputtered and then it suddenly accelerated and lunged forward all the way to dealer. Even the engine fault code displayed on the dash, the mechanic was unable to get an error code on the computer. The mechanic test drove the vehicle with the consumer, and it was then the vehicle exhibited everything the consumer was referring to. When they returned, the mechanic, hooked the computer back to the vehicle, and an error showed a harness issue, which was related to a wire splicing into two wires, which somehow became tangled during assembly.

- Deming, NM, USA