CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

The 2013 is the first model year of the Escape's 3rd generation and proves once again that you want to avoid the first model year when at all possible.

2013 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 152016

Escape

On at least four occasions lost ability to accelerate car. First two times it was self limiting. The third time car stalled was started again I drove it and the same thing happened, could not accelerate and it also seemed that the car in motion was not responsive. For the third occurrence I brought the car to the dealership, they could find no issues with the car and could not duplicate the behaviors I had described. The fourth time I had just that day picked the car up from the dealership after being serviced for a leak in the coolant hose, my 60,000 mile check up and for my check engine light that was on. The hose being replaced, the check engine light was reset and found to have no reason for the engine light to be on. I drove the car home and while in park it stalled. I stated it back up and it kept exhibiting the same inability to excel, I seemed to have little con troll of it, it stalled again, started again and I pressed on the gas until I was home three blocks away. I felt the car not safe to drive, I called the dealership and had them send a tow truck to pick up my car and bring it back to the dealership where it is now. When it stalled I was on a city street and able to pull over with no harm.

- Burke, VA, USA

Nov 102016

Escape

The myfordtouch system will sporadically shut down. At times this shut down is evidenced by a loud pop through the audio speakers, then the audio goes out and the bluetooth phone connection resets. Often it will display an error screen saying "shutting down to save battery" with a progress bar. That progress bar never finishes to the right before the system restarts. This will happen multiple times during a trip, with no similar characteristics between trips where this issue occurs (day/night, highway/city, warm/cold, driving or stopped, none of it matters) and I can't recreate it on demand. It will happen one day and then not for a week or two. The lack of ability to recreate means that the Ford dealer will not repair it. The Ford service rep suggested I replace the battery and on his advice I did. However, this not fix the problem. He tested the alternator, and checked for error codes all with no change in the situation. Ultimately it has been with the dealer 3 times for service, with no resolution. I have video of it occurring on 11/6/2016. It has happened as far back as July 2016. Most recent occurrence was today, 11/10/2016 date entered in field below is last time it happened.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Oct 272016

Escape

A door latch with a fractured pawl spring tab typically results in a "door will not close" condition. A door that opens while driving increases the risk of injury. Difficulty shutting drivers door. Recall status: Recall incomplete. Remedy not yet available

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Oct 112016

Escape

Takata recall when I accelerate a strong fume smell gets inside the cabin.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Sep 122016

Escape

Recall-doors open while vehicle is moving

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Aug 182016

Escape

Today I hurt a pop sound and L looked under my car and saw something hanging. My local chevron station mechanic said it was my "heat shield". it had ripped to shreds. Last Nov. At santa margarita Ford I had major transmission work done on my 2013 Escape. My mechanic doesn't think the heat shield was put back on correctly. Same dealership wants to charge me over $400 to replace it. No way!

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Oct 312015

Escape

Door latches broke on 3 separate occasions. 04/17/14, 04/02/15, and 10/31/15. First one happened when I opened the rear driver side door and then closed it. It was like metal hitting metal, no way to close and latch door. Second time closed and locked door, when I came out of grocery store, driver door was open about 1/2 inch. Tried to close door but it was again metal hitting metal. Had to drive home holding door shut and drive with one hand, right turns especially dangerous. Third incident passenger rear door, opened door, when closing it, it was metal hitting metal again. All three times I had my 2 small grandchildren in car seats in the back. This is a life threatening situation that needs immediate attention from Ford to correct these door latches. Besides the danger it is an expensive fix. It has cost me almost $900 for these repairs. Ford needs to fix this before some one is seriously injured or killed. The only one left to break is the front passenger door. This is a big concern for me!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 092016

Escape

The latch systems on both rear doors have broken causing them to fly open. The driver's side rear door broke in January of 2016 upon opening in the garage, the car was stationary. The second rear door broke 6 months later, in June of 2016, also when the car was stationary. In both cases a passenger had to hold the doors closed on the inside to be able to get them to the dealership without them flying open while driving down the street. Each door cost over $300 to repair.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 102016

Escape

Driver rear door latch broke, door will not shut. Flew open while I was driving. Despite this same issue with other Ford models, dealership would not even attempt to get Ford to warranty this. Cost me $340.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Apr 122016

Escape

Looses power, unable to accelerate even when gas pedal pushed to floor. It's been to the dealer twice. No problems detected. Unable to duplicate. Seems to occur while driving various speeds 55-45 mph, city driving, stop and go traffic. Usually occurs after a stop/go traffic lights, right hand turns. Occurred after first time between 25K?-30K miles. 2013 Ford Escape 1.6 ecoboost engine.

- Sumter, SC, USA

Apr 282016

Escape

While driving on a highway the from of the bottom heat shield on my car just dropped and started scrapping on the pavement. By the time I was able to pull over the shield was pretty scraped up. It appeared that whatever was suppose to hold it up, was not there. I know that I did not run over anything or have anything hit the underside of my car. That afternoon I brought it to a Ford dealership in rutherford, NJ where I was charged $368.84 for remove and replacement of the heat shield. This Escape is garage kept and there should have been no reason for this happening.

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Mar 282016

Escape

Latches locks linkages this is the secon door with problems. First tha back door and now the driver door doent close. It opened during driving and doesnt close. 3/28/16.

- Lajas, PR, USA

Feb 102016

Escape

Correspondence with flood Ford of East greenwich, ri to: Michael whyte (Ford service adviser), re: Crash risk with 2013 Ford Escape (stalling while driving and also lack of being able to accelerate vehicle while engine is running). Vehicle was brought to 2 different Ford dealers for same problem and was told that they could diagnose and/or replicate problem. This issue and circumstance has been reported numerous times upon goggle searches (please see below). I contacted the Ford customer relationship center again today to document the situation surrounding our vehicle (case # 8980601). Please note that I had contacted them originally on February 29th (case #8916920) and they referred me to the flood dealership after we had brought the vehicle to the tasca dealership on February 28th and 29th. They tried to contact the service department at flood Ford at 4:00pm today but were not able to get through. I also contacted the consumers for auto reliability and safety and they responded back with the following message and strongly emphasized not to drive the vehicle because of the potential crash risk. I am also in the process of reporting the defect to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and have also contacted the wjar consumer advocate department surrounding our dilemma to see if they can help us as well. Hopefully the experts at Ford can help provide additional insights as to how to best address this situation. With best regards, victor www.autonews.com/article/20140815/oem11/140819918/Ford-recalls- > 2013 -Escape-for-11th-time-this-time-for-wiring-problem > > > M.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Escape/2013/engine/engine_stalls_shuts > _do > wn_while_driving.shtml > > www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/Ford-Escape-stalling-problems-contin > ue- > 160000-vehicles-recalled/

- Cranston, RI, USA

Dec 182015

Escape

Car stalls when driving very dangerous! Ford has no idea whats wrong!

- Little Egg Harbor, NJ, USA

Feb 152016

Escape

Using the over door handle assist on the driver's side when exiting the vehicle, both ends snapped off (broken at the base) causing me to hit myself in the face and cut my nose with one of the broken ends. My glasses did prevent the broken end from hitting my eye.

- Ferndale, MI, USA

Dec 252015

Escape

Major problem with Ford vehicles spontaneously shattering lift gate glass. 2013 Escape's rear glass spontaneously shattered two times in 10 days. In both incidents the car was stationary. The first time the car was in freezing temps, warming up w/defrost on. The second time the car was in freezing temps but not started.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 292015

Escape

My car runs fine when I start it after it has been sitting for a while. If I make a stop and turn my car off, and then restart it within a few minutes, it begins to stall as I am driving. When this happens, I have to shut my car off and restart it. Most times I have to restart it 3 to 4 times before it stops stalling. This is unsafe because I am typically in traffic when it stalls. So I have to stop wherever my car stalls in order to restart it. This normally happens on city streets.

- Lansdowne, PA, USA

Sep 242015

Escape

My car has had a total of 12 recalls. In the last 3 months I have had the car to wilson Ford four times for the same problem. The first time it happened, I was on the interstate going to work. The car stuttered, acting like it wasn't getting any gas and wanted to stall. I was afraid I was going to get hit from behind. The car would only go about 30-40 miles an hour. Wilson Ford said they replaced a map sensor. I drove the car for about a week. The same problem occurred. Wilson's told me the sensor was bad. The same problem again. They then said they had to reset the computer and fix a fractured wire. My husband was driving the car last Thursday. My grandson was a passenger. This problem again occurred. This is a safety issue. I have complained to the dealership and also Ford company without any satisfaction. This problem occurs when the car is in motion. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA on Sept 28 via telephone. I spoke with amy around 7pm. I gave her all my info. We were cut off by her line. I'm not sure all info was recorded. I have also contacted the wv state attorneys office. My car is still at wilson Ford. I have not heard from them.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Aug 282015

Escape

The latch on the rear driver's side door broke. I did not slam it or even shut is hard. I was able to bungie the door closed and got it to the dealer to fix the problem. I went to pick up the vehicle after the work was complete and when they went to get it they said the driver's side door would not shut. The attendant who went to get it said the door was open slightly when he got in. So I had two latches break within a matter of hours, and I still don't have the vehicle with me. I came home and saw that there were recalls on some of Ford's other models. This is concerning because it seems as though these latches break for no reason and at random times. I have a young daughter and now it will be in the back of my mind will another latch break when she is in the vehicle, or will my wife or I have to worry about falling out of the vehicle while driving. Ford has recalled latches on other vehicles and from the pictures I have seen look almost identical to the the ones that broke on ours.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Aug 272015

Escape

My 2013 Ford Escape rear passenger door latch, the part which catches the metal bar which is connected to the vehicle, does not close and securely shut the passenger door. It will remain open and open up if I make a left hand turn. The latch mechanism is malfunctioning and does not keep the rear door closed.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA