Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

2013 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 112016

Takata recall when I accelerate a strong fume smell gets inside the cabin.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Sep 122016

Recall-doors open while vehicle is moving

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Aug 182016

Today I hurt a pop sound and L looked under my car and saw something hanging. My local chevron station mechanic said it was my "heat shield". it had ripped to shreds. Last Nov. At santa margarita Ford I had major transmission work done on my 2013 Escape. My mechanic doesn't think the heat shield was put back on correctly. Same dealership wants to charge me over $400 to replace it. No way!

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Oct 312015

Door latches broke on 3 separate occasions. 04/17/14, 04/02/15, and 10/31/15. First one happened when I opened the rear driver side door and then closed it. It was like metal hitting metal, no way to close and latch door. Second time closed and locked door, when I came out of grocery store, driver door was open about 1/2 inch. Tried to close door but it was again metal hitting metal. Had to drive home holding door shut and drive with one hand, right turns especially dangerous. Third incident passenger rear door, opened door, when closing it, it was metal hitting metal again. All three times I had my 2 small grandchildren in car seats in the back. This is a life threatening situation that needs immediate attention from Ford to correct these door latches. Besides the danger it is an expensive fix. It has cost me almost $900 for these repairs. Ford needs to fix this before some one is seriously injured or killed. The only one left to break is the front passenger door. This is a big concern for me!

Jun 092016

The latch systems on both rear doors have broken causing them to fly open. The driver's side rear door broke in January of 2016 upon opening in the garage, the car was stationary. The second rear door broke 6 months later, in June of 2016, also when the car was stationary. In both cases a passenger had to hold the doors closed on the inside to be able to get them to the dealership without them flying open while driving down the street. Each door cost over $300 to repair.

Jun 102016

Driver rear door latch broke, door will not shut. Flew open while I was driving. Despite this same issue with other Ford models, dealership would not even attempt to get Ford to warranty this. Cost me $340.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Apr 122016

Looses power, unable to accelerate even when gas pedal pushed to floor. It's been to the dealer twice. No problems detected. Unable to duplicate. Seems to occur while driving various speeds 55-45 mph, city driving, stop and go traffic. Usually occurs after a stop/go traffic lights, right hand turns. Occurred after first time between 25K?-30K miles. 2013 Ford Escape 1.6 ecoboost engine.

- Sumter, SC, USA

Apr 282016

While driving on a highway the from of the bottom heat shield on my car just dropped and started scrapping on the pavement. By the time I was able to pull over the shield was pretty scraped up. It appeared that whatever was suppose to hold it up, was not there. I know that I did not run over anything or have anything hit the underside of my car. That afternoon I brought it to a Ford dealership in rutherford, NJ where I was charged $368.84 for remove and replacement of the heat shield. This Escape is garage kept and there should have been no reason for this happening.

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Mar 282016

Latches locks linkages this is the secon door with problems. First tha back door and now the driver door doent close. It opened during driving and doesnt close. 3/28/16.

- Lajas, PR, USA

Feb 102016

Correspondence with flood Ford of East greenwich, ri to: Michael whyte (Ford service adviser), re: Crash risk with 2013 Ford Escape (stalling while driving and also lack of being able to accelerate vehicle while engine is running). Vehicle was brought to 2 different Ford dealers for same problem and was told that they could diagnose and/or replicate problem. This issue and circumstance has been reported numerous times upon goggle searches (please see below). I contacted the Ford customer relationship center again today to document the situation surrounding our vehicle (case # 8980601). Please note that I had contacted them originally on February 29th (case #8916920) and they referred me to the flood dealership after we had brought the vehicle to the tasca dealership on February 28th and 29th. They tried to contact the service department at flood Ford at 4:00pm today but were not able to get through. I also contacted the consumers for auto reliability and safety and they responded back with the following message and strongly emphasized not to drive the vehicle because of the potential crash risk. I am also in the process of reporting the defect to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and have also contacted the wjar consumer advocate department surrounding our dilemma to see if they can help us as well. Hopefully the experts at Ford can help provide additional insights as to how to best address this situation. With best regards, victor > 2013 -Escape-for-11th-time-this-time-for-wiring-problem > > > > _do > wn_while_driving.shtml > > > ue- > 160000-vehicles-recalled/

- Cranston, RI, USA

Dec 182015

Car stalls when driving very dangerous! Ford has no idea whats wrong!

- Little Egg Harbor, NJ, USA

Feb 152016

Using the over door handle assist on the driver's side when exiting the vehicle, both ends snapped off (broken at the base) causing me to hit myself in the face and cut my nose with one of the broken ends. My glasses did prevent the broken end from hitting my eye.

- Ferndale, MI, USA

Dec 252015

Major problem with Ford vehicles spontaneously shattering lift gate glass. 2013 Escape's rear glass spontaneously shattered two times in 10 days. In both incidents the car was stationary. The first time the car was in freezing temps, warming up w/defrost on. The second time the car was in freezing temps but not started.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 292015

My car runs fine when I start it after it has been sitting for a while. If I make a stop and turn my car off, and then restart it within a few minutes, it begins to stall as I am driving. When this happens, I have to shut my car off and restart it. Most times I have to restart it 3 to 4 times before it stops stalling. This is unsafe because I am typically in traffic when it stalls. So I have to stop wherever my car stalls in order to restart it. This normally happens on city streets.

- Lansdowne, PA, USA

Sep 242015

My car has had a total of 12 recalls. In the last 3 months I have had the car to wilson Ford four times for the same problem. The first time it happened, I was on the interstate going to work. The car stuttered, acting like it wasn't getting any gas and wanted to stall. I was afraid I was going to get hit from behind. The car would only go about 30-40 miles an hour. Wilson Ford said they replaced a map sensor. I drove the car for about a week. The same problem occurred. Wilson's told me the sensor was bad. The same problem again. They then said they had to reset the computer and fix a fractured wire. My husband was driving the car last Thursday. My grandson was a passenger. This problem again occurred. This is a safety issue. I have complained to the dealership and also Ford company without any satisfaction. This problem occurs when the car is in motion. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA on Sept 28 via telephone. I spoke with amy around 7pm. I gave her all my info. We were cut off by her line. I'm not sure all info was recorded. I have also contacted the wv state attorneys office. My car is still at wilson Ford. I have not heard from them.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Aug 282015

The latch on the rear driver's side door broke. I did not slam it or even shut is hard. I was able to bungie the door closed and got it to the dealer to fix the problem. I went to pick up the vehicle after the work was complete and when they went to get it they said the driver's side door would not shut. The attendant who went to get it said the door was open slightly when he got in. So I had two latches break within a matter of hours, and I still don't have the vehicle with me. I came home and saw that there were recalls on some of Ford's other models. This is concerning because it seems as though these latches break for no reason and at random times. I have a young daughter and now it will be in the back of my mind will another latch break when she is in the vehicle, or will my wife or I have to worry about falling out of the vehicle while driving. Ford has recalled latches on other vehicles and from the pictures I have seen look almost identical to the the ones that broke on ours.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Aug 272015

My 2013 Ford Escape rear passenger door latch, the part which catches the metal bar which is connected to the vehicle, does not close and securely shut the passenger door. It will remain open and open up if I make a left hand turn. The latch mechanism is malfunctioning and does not keep the rear door closed.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Apr 172014

Door latch broke twice while car was parked. Both times I was shopping and came out to find door latch popped open. First time was 04/17/2014, rear drivers side and second time was 03/28/15, driver side door. When this happens you can not close the door or latch it in anyway. I had to find rope and bungy cords to try to secure it shut. I was transporting my grandchildren at the time, one preschooler and one infant. This is a very dangerous situation. After 2nd latch broke I talked with a Ford car salesman who informed me that they have had many problems with the door latches.he informed me that they have been recalled on certain Ford vehicles.this is a serious safety hazard! children could have been killed if door suddenly swung open while driving, especially if you turn a corner and have no control of the back door.

Mar 152015

The back left rear door opened while driving highway, with my 9 year old daughter in the back seat. Thanks god no one get hurt. But it was a very traumatic moment for us. Then when I visit the dealer Ford mayaguez puerto rico they said that I must pay for replacements of latches. I look for the safety recalls of my vehicle Ford Escape 2013 and it was the safety recall #NHTSA campaign number 13V-085 latches/lock/linkages. The dealer said that my unit by VIN # was not included in the recall. I have a concern, it happen to my unit and there are a lot of Ford Escape vehicles affected, it could be worst, I ask for your help in this matter. Is not fair that my 2013 Ford Escape is not included in the recall when that problem happen to it, thank you in advance. I can not use it if I have to park it because the door doesn't close. Help me please.

- Lajas, PR, USA

May 072015

99% of the time I put my foot from the gas to the brake, my foot ends up under the brake pedal on the undercorner before I make a quick adjustment to get my foot on top of the brake where it belongs. This happens everyday since I got the vehicle. You can actually see where there is a worn spot under the brake pedal and on the very most right side of it. I curse it every single time, every single day. One of these days I can see it coming. I would say that this has been a problem since the vehicle was built.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA