2014 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Escape:

2014 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Jan 012016

Acceleration was fine until I hit 20,000 miles. However when I step on the gas pedal after starting the car the rpms go away and then come way back down and then it accelerates and jerks forward. This is an extreme safety issue. I took it to the Town & Country Ford dealer here who said they couldn't replicate the issue. I test drove with the mechanic and it didn't happen once. It accelerated better than it did before so I'm not sure if something was adjusted. Of course it has come back. It happens when I drive it and my son told me it jerked a lot when he drove it last night. Given that this has been a problem for what seems like 15 years with the Ford Escape Ford needs to do something to fix it. Even though my dad worked for Ford for 30 years and I've been a loyal customer I don't trust this car so I will never buy another Ford.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 152015

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Escape. While accelerating from a complete stop to approximately 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact shifted the vehicle into neutral and restarted the vehicle. The failure recurred on several occasions when the contact accelerated from a complete stop. The contact also stated that the failure always recurred shortly after starting the vehicle and never occurred more than once during one consecutive trip. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer informed the contact that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V005000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Sep 012015

A few months ago, I had filed a complaint on the 2014 Ford Escape SE 1.6L turbocharged ecoboost with I-4WD my mother currently owns. She had acceleration problems with the car. At a stoplight or whle moving at a decent pace (about 20-40mph), the engine would suddenly rev towards 4000-5000 and not drop into drive. This had concerned me alot. Mom called keller bros. Ford here in lititz, Pennsylvania, and said that she will have to take her car down for a software update. The update fixed everything. No acceleration problems. And since this software update, I've noticed a huge difference. It feels like there is more horses in my mom's car than there was before the update. The update happened 4-6 months ago. I feel much safer knowing that her car won't end her in an accident. She currently has over 16,000 miles, and since that time frame, no "drop-outs" (< as I call them) have happened.

- Leola, PA, USA

Nov 072015

I experienced on three occasions that this vehicle misfires, stumbles, shudders and almost shuts off under heavy acceleration while attempting to merge onto a highway.the last time this problem occurred I was forced to pull onto the breakdown lane and almost caused an accident due to highway traffic traveling at 70 mph and my inability to attain a suitable merging speed. I have further observed that this situation has only occurred and could be replicated during rain and high humidity. This problem is a definite safety hazard that needs to be addressed!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 272015

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Escape. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V005000 (fuel system, gasoline); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Austintown, OH, USA

Apr 222015

I have issued a complaint about three and a half months ago. Again, my mother is still having acceleration problems with her car. On April 22nd, she stated that she was going up a hill, and the car suddenly started revving to 4000-5000rpm. At one point, she said she lightly went on the gas to see if the fuel would kick in and it revved up 500 RPM past the redline, and still no acceleration. One day, my mom is going to end up being rear-ended when this happens and I would not like that to happen. Ford absolutely needs to do something about this. I've scrolled through all complaints of this model year and I've seen that at least 50 people are experiencing these problems. Ford must fix this (that means issue recalls!!!)!!!!!

- Leola, PA, USA

Feb 142015

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Escape. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number:15V005000 (fuel system, gasoline). The contact stated that the part needed to remedy the vehicle was unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 5/28/15 updated 9/17/2015

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Jan 122014

Escape 4-cyl

Pulling out of my driveway, engine dies with no warning. Put into neutral to restart. Pulling out of driveway onto the hardtop road, engine dies with no warning. Traveling at 20 mph or less. This has been going on for 2 months now. Doesn't happen when the car goes to the dealership...can't seem to figure out what is causing it.

- Marion, VA, USA

Jul 142014

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

Approximately one month after purchasing this vehicle strong gas fumes were detected coming inside the car through the ventilation system. The problem occurs only when the vehicle is restarted after being warmed up. Still under warranty we returned the vehicle to the dealership for repairs. They replaced a short section of flexible manifold hose that had developed a crack. The problem went away for about a month before returning. Again the dealership replaced the same hose. The repair lasted about another month or so. The third time it was serviced they did not replace the hose but wrapped it with silicone duct tape to seal it. This repair lasted less than a week. Again gas fumes were detected inside the vehicle. It appears that the Ford company does not have any idea how to permanently fix the problem. At least 3 other incidents involving the same model vehicle have occurred at this dealership. Is this another looming recall" how many other 2014 Ford Escape owners nationwide have had the same issue"

- Hillsboro, ND, USA

Jan 102015

Escape 4-cyl

Car would not start. Ford replaced the fuel pump.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jan 012015

My mother owns a 2014 Ford Escape SE with the 1.6L ecoboost engine. She has noticed that many times, she lightly steps on the gas, and the car suddenly revs it's engine in the 3000-4000 RPM range when the transmission is in drive. Basically, it didn't want to go. She took it to the dealership to see if they could find out the problem, and they said nothing was wrong. I sure would hate to see my mother seriously hurt due to these problems with her car.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Oct 142014

Escape 4-cyl

There's a strong odor of gasoline in the Escape, especially after filling it up with gas. I have also noticed a leak of gas underneath the vehicle.

- Millsboro, DE, USA

Oct 182014

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving along with cruise control on at 73 mph, when I could no longer accelerate, my Escape just died with no warning lights, stall out or anything. Just as if someone turned it off. I had to coast to the side of the road. I waited a few minutes and tried to start it again with no luck. When I turned the key over, it seemed like it wanted to start but was not getting the gas to. I tried 3 more time and finally called Ford roadside assistance and had it towed to the nearest Ford dealership. I am waiting on a reply (with no loaner etc) the reason I buy new is for peace of mind. Not even, 10,000 miles on the car and it brakes? what gives. I have already taken it back to the dealer once (the day after I bought it) because it tries to stall when switching from reverse to drive, but the dealer made some excuse and said to watch and see if it continues. I am just glad that I was within cell phone signal range because I had just not been a few minutes before (scary).

- Borger, TX, USA