2014 Ford Escape steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Escape:

2014 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Aug 132016

While driving 50mph just before 90deg. Corner light came on dash power steering just quit. Was barely able to pull over and stop. I shut car off and check found nothing. When I restart problem went away took car to dealer but it read no codes so they wont do anything. So when will it happen again? find hard to believe when hook up it only reads what is wrong and no history of what happened.

- Cornelius, OR, USA

Jan 052016

The contact owns as 2014 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the while making a left or right turn at various speeds, an abnormal noise emitted from the steering wheel. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,000.

- Lawrenceville, NJ, USA

Jul 252016

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Escape. While driving 60 mph, the transmission blew out and the steering column fractured. The vehicle was taken to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Jul 092016

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering failed. The vehicle was restarted and operated properly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering failed and needed to be replaced. It was unknown if the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000. The vehicle VIN was not available.

- Vernon, CT, USA

Jun 052016

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 3 mph and making a left turn, the front passenger side wheel suddenly separated from the vehicle. The contact's vehicle crashed into a second vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering mechanism was defective. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Mar 152015

The steering would not center and lost power and locked up could not turn right or left.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Feb 132015

Car just exited the highway. Drove approximately a quarter mile and made a right turn. The steering locked up in mid turn. Fortunately there were no cars parked on this particular street or there would have been an accident. Managed to straighten wheel and able to pull in a parking spot. Car's electrical system started shutting down to save battery power. Had car towed to Ford dealer. They say the alternator was weak. Five days after the incident and still waiting for the part. Lost confidence in the product. Car is nine months old.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 192014

Escape 4-cyl

My wife pulled up driveway, I happened to be outside next to car when she pulled in. We suddenly heard loud crunching sound and she stopped. When we found nothing I asked her to back up. We heard crunching sound again and she said the steering wheel was not controlling car. She immediately stopped. We discovered right front wheel pushed against tire well of body frame. Next day when tow truck lifted car, we discovered the ball joint assembly had come apart. Perry Ford (san diego) confirmed ball joint appears to have come apart without any obvious sign of damage due to impact or driver fault. Note: My wife had just come off freeway, traveling 15 miles from work and 1 mile from off ramp to our home. If she had been just another 5 min on freeway traveling 65-70mph...I hate to imagine what would have happened. Please investigate this matter with Ford.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 222014

I was waiting in line to enter the freeway. A yellow warning sign came on in the car, and then there was no control of the steering wheel. It locked. I was able to crank on it with all my strength, put on my hazard lights, and my daughter hung out the window to wave us over a few inches to the right. I then entered a safe lot to call roadside assistance. But, while I was on the phone with them, the yellow light went off, and the car steering wheel moved.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Aug 242014

Escape 4-cyl

Steering wheel suddenly stopped working when I stopped at a gas station and gave an error message "steering assist fault service required". car is barely 3 months old.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Nov 142013

11/13. Had car for 2 months. Stopped for gas, fueled up got in to leave power steering gone. Had to call husband to come get car as I could not turn the wheel. Had vehicle towed to Ford dealer. Dealer not helpful, said they were able to see power steering was lost unable to fix. Vehicle or computer somehow fixed itself? happened again 8/22/14. Thankfully it happened in front of my home & did not need assistance. Having vehicle towed to Ford dealer in am.

- Farmingville, NY, USA

May 302014

Power steering has gone out in this new vehicle 3 separate occasions. When looked at by a technician, they do not know what is wrong. Been in the shop for over 20 days.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 012011

Escape 4-cyl

The vehicle's steering is too sensitive at higher speed. Generally speaking above 65 mph any movement of the steering wheel will cause the vehicle to go that direction. When a correction is made, the vehicle goes the opposite way (too much) which tends to make vehicle feel and look as if it wanders on the roadway. From what I understand this is due to "electronic steering." Many complains are found online of the same problem with other drivers. This is a dangerous crash causing problem and drivers need to be on high alert for this potential problem. I would think if this is investigated, crashes with causes of driver inattention whereas a vehicle goes off the right side of the road or left of center, sensitive steering maybe the root of the problem in many cases. The vehicle has been inspected by two Ford dealerships and found nothing wrong. I feel this is a engineering problem such as the ignition switches on the GM products. This was all pointed out to the regional customer service manager heather nabb. Ford's response to this problem is until there is a "failure", there is nothing they will do.

- Leetonia, OH, USA

May 092014

Escape 4-cyl

While driving on highway I accidentally depressed the keyless start-stop button. The engine shut off, power steering and brakes were lost and engine would not restart by pushing start-stop button. I was able to slow car - with other cars close behind- shift gear shift to neutral and apply brake pedal so that start-stop button would restart engine. I have had Ford dealership check keyless start-stop system and they indicate that system works as it should. Start - stop button is located in drivers right knee area and is two inches from similar looking climate control button. Power steering and brakes were lost with engine off and car in motion. I contacted Ford Motor Company and they referred us to the dealership. This is a dangerous design flaw.

- Richmond, VT, USA

Dec 122013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving to pick up my daughter from school and the car steering stiffened up. I was in the parking lot so luckily nothing happened. I stopped and restarted the car but it was still stiff that it was impossible to turn and take car out of the lot. I had to leave the car there and bring the kids home on my own. Not what you can expect from a new car and certainly very luck Y to not happen on the highway. Ford saying it is a manufacturing defect and they forgot the harness in the power steering. It was then taken from a new car and placed on my car. I am not comfortable with it but they said they cannot give me a new car.

- Teaneck , NJ, USA