6.9

2016 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Escape:

2016 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Oct 312016

Escape

While driving the Ford Escape on a main road today the vehicle suddenly started to idle very rough, the orange wrench light came on and I could not accelerate. The car decelerated rapidly as I was going up a slight hill. I was able to coast into a parking lot, where I shut the car off for several minutes, then turned it back on and proceeded home. I have called the Ford dealership to bring the car in for service.

- Mineola, NY, USA

Mar 102015

Escape

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Escape. The contact stated that there was a strong vibration when driving the vehicle. The contact noticed that an interim solution was to drive in the S gear and, within a few miles, change the gear to drive to prevent the vibration. The dealer and manufacturer were notified of the failure and indicated that there was no repair solution. The approximate failure mileage was 0.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Jul 232016

Escape

We went on vacation in our new Escape and the transmission started to slip surge and other things that came close to causing 2 accidents. Something should be done about Ford being allowed to put out faulty transmissions for years. My transmission had to be rebuild with only being a few months old. Something should be done about this.

- Amelia, OH, USA

Jun 222016

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

On May 6, 2016 we purchased a 2016 Ford Escape titanium 2.0 AWD. On 6/22/16 I brought the vehicle in for service due to a shuddering when the car is shifted from reverse to drive and gas is applied. The service department of seymour Ford of jackson, mi, who have been very helpful, performed a reprogram of the PCM. On 8/15/16 I brought the vehicle in with the same shuddering complaint. Seymour phoned the Ford hot line to ascertain if there were any additional recalls. Seymour was advised by Ford to compare like vehicles on their lot. They tested a 2015 and 2017 Escape "both had same issue". I was informed by the service department to be sure to keep my foot on the brake when shifting from reverse to drive and wait for the gear to engage than accelerate. I found under complaints.com other owners throughout the us who have made the same complaint. One has even had Ford acknowledge there is a problem and they are working on it. I informed the service department that I understand they did not build the car; however, if this continues to occur I would be back. They informed me they were there for me. That said it appears either Ford is not telling their dealers there is a problem and or they are telling their dealers to stonewall. Either way Ford should at least make it known to the dealers and the owners of the vehicles that there is a problem and they are working on a solution. We paid good money for the car and we are retired on a fixed income, although we are under warranty, I do not want to be constantly going to the service department to have the car looked at with the same results. Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Aug 012016

Escape

Was driving vehicle at 35 mph then engine died, service engine now light came on, message center said contact dealer. Restarted after put in park. Checked for codes with generic scan tool, obd2 code P2112 in memory. Contacted dealer purchased from for service. Was told no codes, but battery had been disconnected, clock was reset and all radio presets erased and bluetooth erased.

- New Franklin, OH, USA

Apr 302016

Escape

We have a new 2016 Ford Escape. After about 1,000 miles noticed a shuddering of the transmission when shifting. It happens when we shift from park to drive, park to reverse, or reverse to drive. Took to Ford service station at about 3500 miles as it became a real concern. Tech could not find problem. Checked social media to see if others were having same problem with transmission. There are numerous complaints regarding this transmission issue. We will continue to take the Escape back to Ford as it appears to be a complaint of many 2016 Ford Escape drivers with these vehicles. The transmission could fail at any time while driving this vehicle. Ford needs to be made accountable as they continue to sell these vehicles knowing this problem exists.

- Girard, PA, USA

Jun 192016

Escape

Transmission started acting funny around 5 months after getting my Escape. I would put it in reverse and it would jerk or not go into gear a few seconds. Then it started shuddering when I would drive it. At first maybe a few times a day. Yesterday it started shuddering and jerking all day. At one point I thought something had hit me or I had hit something as my car literally went forward and a loud clunk was heard from behind. Scared both me and my passenger as it felt like I had hit something. I am really scared to drive this thing because I never know when it will start jerking, shudder, etc. I had an SE 2013 and had no trouble with the trans but it was not a titanium model, which I believe is the problem. I am afraid to pull out of our drive today when I leave for work as it is very busy and I don't know if it is going to stall, shudder, jerk, whatever. Ford needs to do a recall on their Escapes at least the titanium models. They have all the computer stuff on those and although mine is not a top of the line titanium, it is still a titanium. I can't get this car in until next Monday a full week away. The dealership (taylor Ford) said his service department is full of transmission problems. Doesn't that tell you something??

- Taylor, MI, USA

Jun 172016

Escape

While driving at highway speed, the car shuttered and flashed warning lights, the power was decreased, then shuttered again after I pulled over and turned it off

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 012016

Escape

Vehicle will chatter and vibrate when going from reverse to drive mode to go forward, even when totally stopped to go forward. Bangs in when applying gas light or hard trying to get out of way of on approaching traffic in street and parking spots. Bought it brand new in January 2016 started from day 1 with problem, have not token to Ford dealer yet but I did call them they know of problem, says cannot fix it because they say Ford has their hands tied up and will not authorize to have it fixed they are aware of problem

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Mar 232016

Escape

The contact owns a 2016 Ford Escape. While accelerating to approximately 5 mph from a stop sign, the vehicle stalled. The "engine fault service now" warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was turned off and restarted. While driving, the engine lost power and the transmission shook severely. The contact stopped again and waited approximately one minute then the vehicle started normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The failure recurred three times in one week. The vehicle was repaired under warranty by the dealer the first time the failure occurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 45,121....updated 04/19/16

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jul 212015

Escape

Vehicle will chatter and vibrate when going from reverse to drive mode to go forward, even when totally stopped to go forward. Bangs in when applying gas light or hard trying to get out of way of on approaching traffic in street and parking spots. Bought it brand new in July 2015 started from day 1with problem, taken it to Ford dealer 3 times they know of problem, says cannot fix it because they say Ford has their hands tied up and will not authorize to have it fixed yet. That they are aware of problem.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA