2005 Ford Escape Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 252016

Escape Hybrid

The brakes are hard, runs all the way to stop this hard.el wheel can not turn easily to the sides. It gives me the code U0418, U0413. Is is not due to wear is a manufacturer fails

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Jul 072016

Escape Hybrid

Brakes go stiff at random times while driving for no presented reason and cause a shock to driver and have to let go of brakes then press down to see if they will work. Happens in most if not all kids of conditions, not just one specific kind of situation. Has happened at least 10 times in the past 6 months.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Jun 282016

Escape Hybrid

Intermittent loss of braking over the past 12 months, with the 3rd occurrence resulting in a collision on June 28, 2016 on a city street. Vehicle has had intermittent brake and ABS warning lights with no diagnostic codes, and warning lights eventually reset with no additional action taken. Brake system has been serviced several times without resolution.

- Toledo, OH, USA

May 282016

Escape Hybrid

Both front brake caliper flexible brake lines failed at the same time. I was fortunate that I was at low speed, hooking up my trailer at the time. No accident occurred. The brake fluid dumped on the inside of both front tires.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jun 042016

Escape Hybrid

In normal driving, with no warning, "brake" and "ABS" warning lights illuminate along with "service brake system" display. Considerable effort is required to slow the vehicle and stopping distance is 2-3 times normal. I ended up in a ditch because I could not stop in time.

- Whitmore Lake, MI, USA

Jan 022015

Escape Hybrid

Brake ABS brake light on and brakes do work right, I took it to a dealer and they said some kind of pump is bad and it cost $5000 to fit it. Lots of people having the same problem. I think Ford should recall those cars for safety. I don't think no brakes should cost $5000 to fit. I M scare to drive it.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jan 152016

Escape Hybrid

Computer controlling the brakes malfunction. I was on a state hyway when the dash light came on to warn of brake failure, and a couple of seconds later I had no brakes. I turned the motor off and back on, and I had brakes. This happened off and on until I was on ladson road going to a friends house and the brakes would not work and I had to call a tow truck and be towed home. This scares me and I will not drive the car until it is fixed. Ford says it will cost $5000 to fix it. I have to get my son to carry everywhere. I am 82 years old and need my car !!!!....updated 06/15/16

- Ladson, SC, USA

Dec 292015

Escape Hybrid

On ladson, SC road my brake light warning came on and I had no brakes. This happened three times before, but I pulled off the road and turned the engine off then turned back on and brakes worked. This time on ladson road, I could not get the brakes to work, and I had to call a tow truck to take the car home. I cannot drive the car, and feel stranded at home. I am an 82 year old widow. I have to get my son to take me where I need to go. He has to get off work to do this. I need my car. Please help. According to the Ford company it costs $5000 to fix. I do not have $5000. I live on a fixed income.

- Ladson, SC, USA

Sep 012015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that the brake pedal was applied and did not respond. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V526000 (hybrid propulsion system) and was unable to determine when the remedy and part would become available to complete the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 172,912. Updated 11/19/15

- Ripley, MS, USA

Apr 242015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving at any speed, the contact would experience a sporadic loss of brake control. The ABS and the brake warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic stated that the master cylinder failed. The vehicle was repaired however the warning lights continued to illuminated. The mechanic then stated the hydraulic control unit would also have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 262015

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

First, sporadic loss of brake control; very brief; then, ABS and brakes lights came on. Dash said "service brake system." Brought it to local dealer, who said it needs a new master cylinder & hcu.

- Asbury Park, NJ, USA

Feb 042015

Escape Hybrid

Driving down the highway with my family, a car swerved into our lane cutting us off. We hit the brakes, the ABS and brake light came on and the brakes only worked when we slammed on them! had to have the car towed as it was not drivable. Mechanic said it needed a new ABS control module. Ordered that part twice. Took car to car computer specialist - said car was could not be reprogrammed. Bill is now over $2,000 and it has been over 2 weeks. Mechanic called Ford (lots of complaints online about this issue). They said they could try to reprogram it, but it could take up to 10 hours and may not work. Ford said the last problem they saw like this didn't work and the owner had to trade in for a new car! not only could this incident have seriously harmed my family, but now I'm out of a car and $2,000!

- Pace, FL, USA

Feb 222015

Escape Hybrid

I was stopped at a drive thru line my car made a noise I don't know how to describe accurately with words. I looked down and my ABS and brake light were on and the brake service needed was on the dash display. I put the car in park and turned the car off then on. All the same warnings were still there. I pulled forward slowly and when braking I still didn't stop in a reasonable time and almost completely missed the drive thru window. Needless to say a drive home at 10-15mph still felt like I was in danger of hitting someone because I could not judge stopping distance even with my foot applying full pressure on the brakes. From all the information I have found on line this seems a very apparent case of something Ford should be making a recall issue of high importance. I am hoping my reporting it here may help in preventing something very dangerous from happening in the future.

- Hickory Hills, IL, USA

Jan 152010

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

When the vehicle is warmed up and decelerating below 40mph they gasoline engine will shut off as the regenerative braking charges the hybrid high voltage battery. On a rare occasion during this braking, the gasoline engine will turn back on giving a brief surge which requires pressing the brake harder. It has done this since I bought the vehicle.

- North Reading, MA, USA

Jul 182014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

The brakes failed on the car. At first it locked and then the pedal went all the way to the floor. I didn't hit them again and coasted to a stop finally putting on the parking brake. Then I had the car towed. This happened again about five weeks later and this time it was exactly the same but, I hit the brakes a third time and the car stopped. After the first incident, the mechanic tried to recreate the problem and could not. This same thing happened a few years ago and we replaced -- at great expense -- the hydraulic control unit. I think this is a defect in this car.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jun 052014

Escape Hybrid

While driving, the braking power was lost and the ABS and brake indicators appeared. This has happened several times over the course of the past month. Fortunately I have not been on the highway, but there have been some near misses...accidents narrowly averted. This blog ( by ken yagelski details his similar saga, and he ended up paying over $7,000 in repair costs. I cannot afford that kind of bill, and I don't feel I should have to pay it when it is a known design flaw. Please help!

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 302014

Escape Hybrid

While coming up to a stop sign I started to press my brake and while coming to a stop the brakes stopped working allowing my vehicle to lunge forward a few feet without any brakes before the brakes kicked back in bringing my car to a stop. Also while idling around a parking lot my ABS started engaging causing my vehicle to start jerking forward, I wasn't even touching the brakes.

- West Fargo, ND, USA

Feb 192014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Upon start-up brake warning light on and "service brakes system" message. Brake needed to be pushed very hard to have any effect. Codes C1473 and C1525 come up. Very expensive computer component replacements needed.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Mar 052014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving my daughter home and pulling to a stop sign the brake and ABS light as well as the service notification showed up and it became very difficult to brake. After taking it to the dealership I was informed that the hcu and control module assembly were defective.

- Akron, OH, USA

Aug 052013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I pressed on the brake peddle. It was very loose and depressed easily about 1 inch, then stopped abruptly and held firm without slowing the car at all. After pressing down harder without being able to budge the brakes, I lifted and reapplied the brakes. This time they worked. The same thing happened again a coupe days later. I took it in to the Ford dealer and they told me the ABS module and master cylinder needed to be replaced. From my research, faulty master cylinder and ABS module are common for this vehicle.

- Pensacola Beach, FL, USA