2005 Ford Escape Hybrid suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 252016

Escape Hybrid

My well maintained 2005 Escape hybrid developed a rattling sound on July 26, 2016. At first the rattle in the right rear happened only on bumps in the road. I thought it was my car jack coming loose in its compartment. I checked that and the jack was all secured, not rattling. I continued driving home and the rattle became a banging sound, and the right rear inside wheel area started to rattle and move towards the interior as I drove. When I got home I looked around the right rear wheel well area and was shocked to see how extremely rusted it is. The other wheel wells show very little rust. I looked up the problem on a Ford owners website and found that many many other people have had this same problem. It is a safety issue because some people report that the rusted out shock absorber mount breaks loose and the vehicle body collapses onto the wheel, sending the car out of control. I can't believe that there isn't a recall on this common problem in the '05 Escape hybrid vehicles. I cannot drive my well maintained car because of the mechanical banging, the high potential for loss of control, causing an accident and personal injury. I'm attaching photos of the right rear wheel well and the right front wheel well to show that there is a definite defect in the right rear. Please give this complaint your immediate attention, and alert other Ford escape owners of this imminently very dangerous situation.

- Pleasant Lake, MI, USA

Jan 292016

Escape Hybrid

Vehicle has 95,000 miles on it and the entire back passenger rear well is completely rusted out, so much so that the shock is pushing up into the inside of the vehicle. The rest of the wheel wells are fine and show very little wear and the vehicle runs just fine. When doing some research on this issue, it appears that a multitude of people are encountering this very same issue with just that same specific spot. My fear is that this makes this very unsafe to drive in the event I hit a large bump or pot hole.

- Hugo, MN, USA

Aug 132015

Escape Hybrid

We noticed a clunking noise coming from the rear end of the vehicle. Upon inspection, we discovered the rear passenger wheel well was completely rusted out and the strut is barely attached. The rust holes are so large, that insulation is showing, and the strut is hitting the plastic piece going into the trunk space. The vehicle was deemed unsafe to drive by a mechanic. While researching this issue, I have found multiple online forums about this problem. It is always the same area (rear passenger side) and is causing safety hazards, such as ruptured tires and unstable steering. This is a safety issue that Ford needs to recall!

- Waunakee, WI, USA

Jul 082015

Escape Hybrid

Heard rattling sound over right rear tire. Upon inspection the shock mount had completely cracked due to rust, making the vehicle dangerous to operate. When I looked it up online I saw that many others report this exact same defect in the same location.

- New Haven, MI, USA

Apr 012015

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

The right rear wheel well/shock mount became badly corroded, resulting in the rear shock absorber and suspension being connected to a thin piece of metal, and the top of the shock absorber hitting against a plastic interior body panel. Had the thin piece of metal corroded entirely, a severe accident probably would have resulted. Various online sites report this same problem on the same year and model vehicle (2005 Ford escape), but no recalls, as they have been for other Ford vehicles and other years of the escape that have experienced this severe problem.

- Portage, MI, USA

May 182015

Escape Hybrid

The passenger side wheel well rusted through and now the shock mount rusted off.

- Northampton, PA, USA

May 212015

Escape Hybrid

Vehicle developed loud banging noise in rear of vehicle. Upon inspection it was discovered that severe corrosion has occurred in the right rear wheel well, separating the top of the right rear shock assembly from the body of the vehicle, affecting handling of the car. After searching this issue on the web, it was also discovered that this corrosion is a widespread and ongoing problem with these cars, and a known issue to Ford Motor Corp. Who has to date declined to take any action to rectify this major structural and safety issue.

- Denville, NJ, USA

Apr 252014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Over a few days I heard a banging sound in the car that I could not identify. My daughter looked under the rear passenger wheel well and noticed the shock was knocking against the rusted wheel well. The next day I went to a funeral and the shock pierced through the trunk. I called my body shop/mechanic and told him what the issue was. He said he had another Ford escape 2005 in his shop with the same exact issue. He said it was a manufacturer defect. Ford didn't do a recall on the 2005 models even though they recalled prior years. I had tried to contact rizza Ford about the issue but received no response. In searching the internet I realized there are at least 300+ complaints written about this exact issue and Ford's handling of it. My mechanic had to practically rebuild/weld the wheel well. I can't believe that Ford can be allowed to get away with ripping so many people off, especially with it being such a safety issue. This was a very expensive problem to fix and I didn't have enough money to get a different car. After this, I don't think I'll ever buy a Ford again. Why would I go with a company that can't even stand behind their own product and has no issues putting their customers safety at risk.

- Lansing, IL, USA

Sep 152014

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact heard a loud banging noise coming from the rear passenger wheel area. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic. The technician discovered that the rear passenger side wheel well and shock tower were corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but no assistance was offered. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Westland, MI, USA

Sep 032012

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

Right rear well corroded extensively. 4 inch hole exposing high voltage battery in trunk to water, salt, snow. Dealer states that vehicle is unsafe to drive due to risk of collapse of struts and risk of explosion/fire from high voltage battery exposure. Quotes more than $4000 to repair this vehicle with only 59,510 miles. Rear bumper and rear suspension both compromised. Rear bumper has no support on right side risking passenger injury in accident. Rear shock strut collapsing. Request investigation and recall action.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Aug 072014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on city streets, we heard a hollow thumping sound coming from the rear passenger-side wheel well whenever we went over a small bump. After externally inspecting the wheel well, we discovered that it was extremely rusted, and appeared to be in danger of completely disintegrating. Medium-sized pieces were flaking off with only a slight tug. An identical issue caused the recall of Ford escape models from the years 2001-2004, but Ford representatives to which I have spoken have indicated that they are not considering a recall for the 2005 model year. This is an extremely dangerous situation, and could cause crashes if shock or axle supports fail at highway speeds. This is clearly a design flaw, since this model is less than 10 years old with only 111,000 miles. Others have indicated that Ford is aware of this problem, but refuses to address the safety concerns.

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Sep 122013

Escape Hybrid

Right rear shock became detached from underbody of car creating hazardous condition due to advanced rust through.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Apr 122014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving hit a small bump then started to hear a banging in back passenger wheel. Pull over to look the hole shock tower was rusted out.

- Tuxedo, NY, USA

Mar 072014

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

Wheel house rotted out shock/spring broke thru wheel house hitting on hybrid battery.

- Grafton, WI, USA

Mar 102012

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

Right rear shock absorber mount broke away from fender well due to extensive rust in surrounding area.

- Shreve, OH, USA

Jan 022014

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated while driving at no particular speed, there was a loud knocking noise in the rear passenger wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the shock separated from the wheel well. The wheel well needs to be replaced in order to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jan 142014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving my vehicle and the "service soon" light came on then about 10 seconds later the "stop safely" light came on and my vehicle shutdown and would not restart. I had the vehicle towed to the nearest Ford dealership and found out that there was a failure with the electrical system that had to be reset (shutdown was to protect the hybrid battery). Once Ford fixed the electrical system to get car to start again, they informed me that the passenger side rear shock absorber had fully detached from the wheel house and was basically a dangling piece. Ford could offer no help "they didn't have the equipment or capability to fix" and said I had to go to a auto body shop to have the piece welded back to the frame. Turns out there is nothing there to weld, the entire connection has rotted out and needs to be replaced. From what I can find online this is a recurring issue on 2005 Ford escapes and Ford refuses to deal with it. Cars with these issues are extremely unsafe to drive. Luckily I was not involved in an accident when this happened but I was only driving 35mph on a side street, imagine what could've happened if I was traveling at 70mph on the highway and the piece just fell out. This is an extremely difficult fix that Ford owners should not have the burden of dealing with financially on a car that is less that 10 years old. My car is very well maintained and has a lot of life left in it, but now this fix is going to cost close to $2500. This should be further investigated so Ford has to fix this safety issue! has anyone considered filing a class action suit for defective car parts"?"

- Medford, MA, USA

Aug 082013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was en route to a repair shop to check a possible U-joint noise, and hit a repair bump in the road when my car made a very scary clunk at the right/rear wheel. It continued to make a banging /clunking noise. I continued on to the repair shop traveling at 25mph with my flashers on. They took the vehicle for a short test drive and confirmed the banging/clunking noise. They then put the vehicle on a hoist for a visual inspection and found the under-body frame around the right/rear shock mount had rusted away, and the remaining portion that was still attached to the shock was snapping and banging with any movement of the right/rear wheel. Since then I have not driven my vehicle. The repair shop has informed me that they have seen 5 more escapes since then, and only one had the same problem. It was also an Escape hybrid. They also advised me to contact your website and make a complaint.

- Wayne, MI, USA

Aug 092013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I presented my vehicle for pa safety inspection. Inspection revealed that the right rear shock tower had rusted out and needs to be fixed. This is a compelling safety concern.

- Greenville, PA, USA

Aug 072013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I noticed an unusual sound from the right rear end of my 2005 Escape hybrid a couple of weeks ago and was only able to look at it today. I was amazed to find the wheel well had rusted out at the attachment point of the shock and the upper part of the shock is hanging free. Then I looked at the other side and it is starting to go. Clearly the vehicle is unsafe to drive in this condition. I was hoping to keep the vehicle a few more years but it looks as though without major reconstruction it is junk at this point in time. Clearly the vehicle is out of warranty but it does not seem to me that the degree of failure seen here is unexpected under normal conditions especially in that I have owned the car since new and it has been well maintained. In a brief search of the web I have found that other escape owners have experienced this problem and that Ford is aware of this. I am concerned that with a potential for catastrophic failure Ford did not notify the owners to check for this problem.

- Batavia, IL, USA