2006 Ford Escape Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 152014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving my 2006 Ford hybrid escape on the highway, the ABS and parking brake lights came on as well as a warning alarm sounded. The brakes went completely out, and I had to push the brake pedal all the way to the floor before I could slow down. This is the second time in about 3 months that this event has occurred.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Aug 222014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Approximately 8-9 months ago I felt like the master cylinder was going out in my 2006 Escape hybrid. I took it to a local shop that I trust a few days later and the mechanic drove it and thought it was ok so no repairs were performed. However, at this time he did not perform any sort of a computer diagnostic test because he felt the brakes seemed ok. Fast forward to approx. 8/17/14, I pulled into my garage and before I turned my car off both the led message board indicated an issue needed attention (can't recall exact wording) and the red brake warning light on the dash lit up indicating the brake unit needed service. I took the vehicle back to the same mechanic and he performed a computer diagnostic test. He got back to following: "brake system diagnostics code: C1471 high pressure accumulator volume consumption plausibility failure. Recommend replacement of the master cylinder first and recheck system. If code returns the hydraulic control unit will need to be replaced." The cost to perform this work is nearly $8,900 and almost all of that charge is for replacing these two defective parts, not labor. The cost to replace the failing hydraulics exceeds the blue book value of the vehicle also. This vehicle has only 91,589 miles on it and the whole hydraulic system is failing. I checked out various internet boards and it looks like my problem is the same exact problem scores of others have experienced, and many of them right at the same approx. Mileage interval.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 302014

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the brake warning light illuminated. The contact also stated when the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle would not instantly stop and traveled abnormally to the floorboard. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the hydraulics code was present as a result the master cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000. The VIN was not available.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

May 132014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

At approximately 1:30pm, I was driving in sacramento making a right turn merging into traffic with my foot on the brake pedal when all of a sudden the petal dropped to the floor with no hydraulic pressure in it. The ABS light came on, the brake light came on, and the panel said "service brake system." I had my son in the car with me and I pulled over to the side of the road pressing extremely hard on the brake pedal to get it to stop. I immediately went to pep boys around the corner without brakes (except when I pressed hard on the brake pedal all the way to the floor). Pep boys looked at it and said it might be the master cylinder but they were not willing to sell me one until I had a Ford dealer look at the vehicle. When I turned the car back on, the ABS light was off, the brake warning light was off, and the service warning was off. Ford dealer looked at the vehicle, drove it around for 22 miles and nothing out of the ordinary happened. I advised Ford that pep boys had advised me there was a technical service bulletin (tsb) on intermittent brake loss for 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The Ford representative immediately snapped back at me "that doesn't mean its covered under warranty?" I then said, I care about my safety and want to know why out of the blue my brakes failed. When I went back to see if they found a problem, they stated everything was in normal working order and there were no codes in the system to indicate brake failure.

- Ione, CA, USA

Dec 192013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

The vehicle was and has been driving normally until standard braking situation of coming to a stoplight. As the brakes were applied the ABS and brake light came on and all power assist to the brakes was gone. I had to crush the brake pedal to get any braking at all. Luckily I'm strong enough to manually bring the vehicle to a stop. This was the first time (December 2013) since I've had the vehicle that this happened. It's now April 2014 and the same issue has returned (twice in a week). A very dangerous potential situation. However, after braking to a stop the vehicle can be turned off and back on to correct the situation (ABS and brake light turn off) and the brakes return to normal. I purchased this vehicle at auction from a fleet of vehicles. The sticker did say brake problems, however, after driving it I found only normal braking and attributed the "brake problem" to worn brake pads etc. I can only say that the "brake problem" they mentioned on the sticker must have been the same situation I've run into - so the fleet personnel must have been experiencing the same thing. This situation seems to me to be a much deeper design flaw and after researching online and seeing so many other similar complaints - this obvious flaw should be exposed and corrected on a vehicle recall basis before there are fatalities. It seems to me only a matter of time......

- Palm Beach Gardens , FL, USA

Apr 032014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving the vehicle and the red brake light came on with a message to check brake system. For the rest of the trip the brakes worked ok. I reached my destination and turned the car off. When I came back out and started the vehicle both the red brake light and the yellow ABS light were on. When I was pulling out of the parking lot I pressed the brake pedal but the car did not stop. I had to use the hand brake to stop the car from going into the oncoming traffic. I backed up and parked the car and called a tow truck. When the car was loaded onto the tow, about an hour later, the brakes worked again.

- East Orange, NJ, USA

Mar 212014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Coming to a stop to leave parking lot, I felt the brakes shutter as if was sliding. The skiing light came on for about 2 seconds, vehicle motion stopped, then the ABS light came on and got a message on dash the get bake system serviced. ABS light in on all the time and the ABS system does not work. Will be taking to repair shop today for evaluation and repair. This seems to be a known issue with this vehicle model. Recall"??"

- Shawne, KS, USA

Mar 172014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

My 2006 Escape hybrid suddenly lost braking power, occurring as I attempted to slow to exit off of I-95 to my home. The ABS and warning light came on, at the same time, the brake pedal went to the floor board but there was just enough to get slowed down pushing as hard as I could and luckily the off ramp was up hill. I was going to pull off and get towed but decided being on the side of I-95 was too scary and instead drove, despite the failure. I went 5mph and made it home. The next morning the brakes were miraculously working fine. Now I am too scared to drive the car and have read of others that spent tons of money without the car being fixed.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Dec 052013

Escape Hybrid

Bought the car from novato Ford, now journey Ford in 2008. A few days ago I had to brake hard, but as far as I could tell the antilock braking system (ABS) did not engage. The brakes worked and the car stopped/. the next day I noticed that as soon as I started the car the ABS and brake light were on. I took it to a local repair shop where they ran a diagnostic scan, which returned code C1475. The non-Ford repair shop said they would need to follow Ford's technical service bulletin and the repair would cost 3500 in parts and another $700 in labor. I am writing because it seems highly unusual to me and the service personnel who have reviewed this matter for this to occur. This is Ford's service bulletin

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 092013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Feel for a moment like you are driving in ice(slippery). Then service brake system appear with the triangle with the admiration sign inside.

- Troy,, IL, USA

Mar 252013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Part 1: I purchased this used vehicle from what is a well known dealership in my area of living on 3/21/13. As you can see from the date the first brake failure happened, it was 4 days after I drove the vehicle off the lot. The brake and ABS lights illuminated on the dash on my way home from work. Thankfully, besides being scared to death, I was ok. The dealership towed my vehicle and stated they "miraculously" (my sarcasm) had brakes when driving it from the tow truck into the shop. They had great difficulties figuring out what was wrong and had even talked with the Ford company and came up with the hydraulics system being the issue which was then replaced by the dealership. At a later time with further occurrence, I was informed the modular had also at the first brake failure been replaced, although there is no proof of that on my service record (another issue). After replacing these items, the dealership continued to have difficulties trying to get the brake and ABS lights from illuminating on the dash and apparently had to unhook some vacuum pump to correct issue. Following this I was assured everything was fixed. Second brake failure was on 5/26/13. Thankfully, I was just coming to a stop at my residence when this occurred! again vehicle was towed. An error code was found and reset and assured everything was ok. This is also when I did some digging and requested the previous owners name. To my amazement, this had happened once to the previous owner.....funny, the dealership and Ford were involved and stated it could have been a modular or a "fluke" and nothing was done at that time and the vehicle was traded shortly after. Hmmm..I inherited a problem.

- Greenwood, WI, USA

May 172013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving along in traffic when all of a sudden the brakes wouldn't function at all, even with two feet pressing on the brake pedal with all of my strength. The brake loss seems to occur about once a month, and now occurred twice in August. After shutting the vehicle off and restarting it, the brakes work again.

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Jun 212013

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph and depressing the brake pedal the ABS warning light illuminated and the warning chime was also activated. The brakes also failed to respond when they were applied. The contact continued to depress the brake pedal until they engaged. The failure occurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated the master cylinder booster assembly was leaking brake fluid and not engaging. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Missoula, MT, USA

Jun 092013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving about 35 and the ABS light and anti skid light came on, when at slow speed the car started doing a chugging and then it went on battery. It did this all the way home. I am luckier than most my man is a mechanic an put it on the computer and it stated where the problem was. I also looked online and see hundreds of people complaining about the tone ring. In 5 months my 16 year old will be driving this car full time and now I am real concerned for her safety. Some one recall this tone ring, people are loosing brakes!!!!

- Milford, DE, USA

Jun 092013

• 3,024,244 miles

- Milford, DE, USA

Dec 162012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving up to a stop sign when I felt like I had no brake control to stop. I had to depress the pedal as far as I could and prayed that I would stop before the busy intersection. When I came to a stop, the service brake system code came on and chimed. The ABS light was lit, along with brake warning. Luckily we were only a few blocks from the house, that we were able to carefully make it back home. After taking the vehicle in for a brake system warning before where they diagnosed a faulty wiring harness and replaced at my expense. Now that we were able to get the vehicle to the dealership they have stated that the hydraulic control unit was a problem and possibility of the master cylinder. All this at a cost of $4500+ parts and labor. After just finishing paying off the vehicle loan we own a vehicle that doesn't stop. Had I crashed the vehicle I'd only be out my deductible. Thanks Ford! I regret purchasing this vehicle after hearing of other owners experiencing the same issue, with no help from Ford on repairing a device thats meant to provide safety.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Jul 022012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Total brake failure while driving.

- Corona, CA, USA

Aug 152010

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Multiple continued instances of complete brake failure. Since the initial occurrence, already documented on this site (ODI id number : 10349431), it randomly recurred at least 10 times over the past 2 years, including 3 times in a single trip in June 2012 and two additional times in July 2012. The brake failures typically occurred during hot weather when running the air conditioner, but not always. Every time we thought we'd "figured out" a pattern to the failures, the brakes would go out at a different time than they ever had before -- at a higher speed, or while slowing for a stop light going uphill versus when we were trying to slow to a stop at the base of a steep hill with a marina in front of us. We finally sold the car fearing for the safety of our family, others on the roadways, and our finances. No wonder Ford quit making these vehicles...

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 272012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was about to exit the parking lot of a grocery store when the brakes went into a non-power brake mode. I was rolling to the stop sign. I probably wasn't even going 15 mph. As nothing happened when I touched the brakes, I hammered them and came to a sharp jerking halt. It was a little frightening as oncoming traffic was going 45-50 mph. Then the ABS and brake system lighting came on. If I had not known how non-power brakes felt, I probably would have slid into oncoming traffic. This could have been fatal. I see online a lot of complaints with this same issue with the braking systems of the Escape hybrids. I am not sure why it is not covered on the 100,000 mile/ 8 yr warranty and also, why there has been no recall. I see there is a recall for windshield wipers. I seriously think this is a little more of a safety issue.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jul 262012

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the ABS warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact tried to apply the brakes but to no avail. The contact had to use the emergency brake in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was shut off and restarted however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Alexndria, VA, USA