2006 Ford Escape Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 262016

Escape Hybrid

My vehicle has 75,000 miles on it. I bought it Oct.9,2015 with 72,000 miles on it. In May 2016 the engine started cutting out and the message would read "service engine" along with a yellow wrench appearing on the dash. I had the vehicle taken to the local Ford dealer and was told I needed a harness. I paid $1004 for the new harness and they also installed a fan for the hybrid system. The car did it again a few days later and I had it towed back to the dealer. The service department told me they had made a mistake and had to call Ford to get the correct codes to fix the car. I was told it was done and picked it up. The same thing happened less than 4 days later. I had the car towed again and let the dealership send my car home with a mechanic for 2 days. I was told nothing is wrong and picked it up. I now have the ABS light coming on, the red triangle safety light coming on, the red brake light coming on, the low tires light coming on (it stays on) and the yellow wrench light coming on. At night when I turn on my right blinker the high beams come on. The dealership says there is nothing wrong and no codes come up on their machine. When I brake I have to push very hard and sometimes the brakes lock up on me. I have avoided accidents so far but I am concerned at this point. I do not want to be injured or killed and I certainly do not want to injure or kill anyone in an accident that could be avoided, if Ford had a mechanic that knows what is happening with the car. When I am driving the car will suddenly shut off in traffic and I have to stop, put the car in park and restart it. This is good for about 10 minutes before it acts up again.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Oct 012014

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving approximately 35 mph, the high motor temperature and stop vehicle safely warning lights displayed as the vehicle suddenly lost power and stalled. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the motor electronics coolant pump was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Beth Page, NY, USA

Jul 092016

Escape Hybrid

Our vehicle seemingly randomly shuts off all power to the engine and the electric motor. This can happen while we are moving or stopped in an intersection. We get a message of stop safely now on the dashboard. When you are in the middle of an intersection waiting to turn left in six lanes of traffic and your car stops for no apparent reason this isn't very safe. This has happened about 30 times. Sometimes it goes a year without a mishap or three times in one day.

- Marshall, NC, USA

Aug 032015

Escape Hybrid

I had gone va beach to Washington D.C. and was on the way back when the vehicle had completely shutdown just before the hampton roads bridge tunnel in newport news. We were on the interstate during the entire trip and was lucky to be in the right lane. A aaa be tow truck pulled us off to the side. We tried to restart it but it shut off. Everything else was working fine. I went back the next day and the vehicle worked fine. I had it checked out by the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it. I just had the cooling pump replaced because of the recall. I looked at the manual and it stated that when the high voltage battery gets too hot that it will shut off. This could cause a serious accident. I believe that Ford should find a way to allow the vehicle to still operate on gas power when high voltage battery needs to cool down and to find a way to allow better ventilation so the battery does not get so hot since it is located in the trunk where people put their belongings.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Apr 302015

Escape Hybrid

Was driving to work in the morning. Had been in the car approximately 10 minutes when the ABS, brake, and service brakes, indicators came on all at once. Depressed brake pedal only to discover that I did in fact not have any brakes. Turned on emergency flashers and began to merge over into right hand shoulder, repeatedly stomping on brake pedal. Was able to come to a stop. This incident happened while I was approaching a very busy 3-way intersection, off of a major highway. Turned car off and back on to see if this was a malfunction, but all three indicators came on again. Had vehicle towed to Ford dealership. Paid $5280.03 in parts and labor to have faulty hydraulic unit repaired, and hcu and hybrid system bleed. Had not had any problems with this vehicle in the past. Very thankful that this incident did not cause an accident or injuries to myself or others.

- Wauna, WA, USA

Oct 032014

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V526000 (hybrid propulsion system) and stated that the parts were not available. The dealer did not provide a specific date for when the parts would become available to schedule the recall repair. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the part would become available. The contact continued to experience the failure in which the vehicle was extremely slow to pick up speed upon pressing the acceleration pedal. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Friendsville, TN, USA

Nov 192014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

On cold morning, car started drove down the road about 5 miles and the car just died, saying "brake safely now." Seems to happen only on cold days when heater is on. It will not start again for 30 minutes. It will start, but will continuously die. We had called Ford in middlesboro, ky and spoken with frank who said our vehicle did not have any recalls. I then found out it had a recall. I took it in over the weekend and he then claimed on Monday that the recall item had been fixed. However, when I checked the website, it confirmed the problem had not been fixed. This has been going on for about a month now. We have had the oil changed, battery replaced and it checked by Ford of morristown, tn. They claim they can't find out whats wrong with it. We have read other people's similar complaints who said it was either the "electric motor water pump" or coolant pump.

- Jonesville, VA, USA

Jun 112014

Escape Hybrid 3-cyl

We purchased this Ford Escape hybrid in August, 2012, after procuring a pre-sale evaluation at Ford dealer 1, including a full VIN search for any incomplete recalls.the evaluation found nothing incomplete.returning home 6.11.14, on our residential street, the escape without prior warning flashed ¿'stop vehicle safely¿ and simultaneously turned off all power. Research indicated a failed oem mecs coolant pump (tsb 08-24-5), and we had issues getting the correct part from Ford dealer 1 and sourced a dorman part from the local X auto parts store, supplying it to an ase-certified shop for installation (vehicle inoperable/on a lift). Another ¿'stop vehicle safely¿ event occurred 6.24.14 with my family in the vehicle on an expressway entrance ramp, with the escape taken to Ford dealer 2 for evaluation. Ford dealer 2¿'s VIN check found csp 07B48 and tsb 09-18-6, not available previously. Ford dealer 2 made repairs consistent with the csp/tsb on 7.12.14 at our expense. These serious safety implications well-known to Ford (both csp 07B48/tsb 09-18-6 and tsb 08-24-5) were not identified by Ford dealer 1 in our pre-purchase inspection, or by Ford in a prior investigation and repair of the corrosion issues in this escape. We are concerned that known/identified safety issues generating an errant BCM signal disabling the car made this particular escape a ticking time bomb. We could not have been aware of the issues despite our diligence, but Ford had direct access to that information.we were fortunate when/where our failures occurred. For anyone else in a similar escape with the csp 07B48/tsb 09-18-6 and tsb 08-24-5 repairs not already accomplished, the NHTSA should compel a long-overdue recall for the affected vehicles.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jun 052014

Escape Hybrid

While going about 73mph in passing lane-heard "beep" dashboard had red triangle lite up and a message to stop safely now--then car just stopped!! I was in the far left lane--pulled off into median--read manual--started car up and went--on return trip same thing--although now I was always looking for my "exit"--although was panicking going thru tunnel in boston. Ford had recall on this system that ended in 2009--I bought this in 2012. Brought to Ford dealer--they said there was no recall and for a starting fee of $120/hr they could take a look. I called Ford in mi-told too late--too now I have printed out recall and will bring to a different dealer on Monday. Saw that this is an ongoing safety issue that Ford will not take ownership of.

- Duxbury, MA, USA

Jun 172014

Escape Hybrid

We were driving East on I-26 in South Carolina at 65 mph in 3 lanes of traffic when the triangle hazard warning light on the dash sounded and lit up saying "pull over safely now". at the same time, with the gas peddle floored, the speed of the car was slowing by the second! the gas peddle did not work. We were able to pull over and turn the car off without getting hit by oncoming traffic. Per the manual, we waited awhile and restarted the car, and were able to get it home. I called the Ford customer care line to ask if it was safe to drive the car and would this happen again. They were not helpful at all. They basically told me to take it to a dealership. Our local dealership said they knew nothing about the issue I described, but diagnosed the problem as being an mecs pump failure for $135. The replacement cost would be $800. Due to the high cost quote and knowing that it only takes 45 minutes or less to change this pump, we took it elsewhere. The part is $277. Our concern is that how could Ford dealers not know about this dangerous defect, when in 3 seconds you can pull up hundreds of websites covering this failure, and the dangerous and potentially fatal accident it could cause. Now I have found this us dot website which has hundreds of complaints on this issue also, I am hoping more people will come forward to get these cars off the road.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

May 142014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Error code is "stop safely now". I was driving, and all in the sudden - an error message came up on dash display "stop safely now". immediately, the car was totally shut down right after, lost the ability to stop, and I have no controls of any thing. I was lucky that I'm in a middle of a parking lot. I almost got hit with the car drove right behind me. What if this incident occurs on a freeway at a high speed. My car is fully well maintenance with such low miles for 2006.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Sep 192009

Escape Hybrid

While driving on the freeway my car lost all power and said stop safely now. I pulled to the side of the road and 10 minutes later the car started up and I was able to drive home. The car did not do this again for over a year. At that time I was driving in tucson AZ and it lost all power in the middle of an intersection.fortunatly it started right away and I was able to get to a parking lot.after a lot of research we replaced the electric cooling motor only to have it continue to shut down with the stop safely now displayed. After more research we replaced the blend door actuator with no results. Ford really needs to do a recall and fix this problem before people die. The car shuts down with no warning and it happens so fast. If there is no where to pull over you are stuck in the road and a target for other vehicles to run into.

- Amado, AZ, USA

May 082014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Time of day: 1800, temperature about 80F. "stop safely now" message appeared on console. Vehicle slowed down while traveling at 65mph on an interstate highway during a heavy rush hour traffic. Fortunately, I was traveling on the left lane and safely moved to the left curb and within seconds the engine died. I kept trying to start but no success. While on the phone with the insurance company for a tow truck, I tried again, and the engine restarted. I was able to continue driving home for about 25 minutes, approximately 15 miles. While approaching a traffic light, the "stop safely now" message appeared and this time the car died in the middle of the street. This time, it died within 3 seconds after the message appeared. It was a major safety hazard when other cars were approaching and with very little room to stop and react. This was in a 35 mph residential zone. I had to call a local police department to assist managing the traffic. After about 15 minutes, I was able to start the car again and continued the last 2 blocks to my resident. This is a serious safety issue that could have resulted in multi cars accident had I not had the opportunity to drive to the curb before it stopped.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Sep 162013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Electric assisted power steering not functional. Dealer troubleshooting consisted of reading codes, then indicating that the entire rack and pinion assembly needed replaced ($2200). Replaced the assembly, still doesn't work. The electronic steering control module was replaced, still doesn't work. The repair shops and the dealers have inadequate information and training to repair these electric steering systems. There should be adequate information and training to identify the failed component, as opposed to swapping out large assemblies, and still not fixing the problem. These systems appear to have a high failure rate, and present a huge safety issue when they fail while driving! please issue a recall asap!

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Aug 102013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving on I-195 East going towards bwi the engine just cut off for no reason or warning then a red traingle appeared stop safely I was able to pull over safely was almost rear ended by a tractor trailer the car would not turn back on for about 5 min after it started I had no power what so ever when about 2 miles at 30 miles per hour and it did it again managed to get it home based on what I have been reading why has Ford not recalled this issues or are they waiting for some one to get killed there needs to be a recall before someone gets hurt. I am looking into getting a lawyer if Ford does not want to fix it.

- Elkridge Md , MD, USA

Jun 202013

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated while driving various speeds the service soon light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the jumper harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 36,000. Updated 8/13/13

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Mar 182013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

1) we have been receiving a yellow wrench light indicating maintenance needed off and on for a couple of weeks even though we were well within the maintenance period. This turns out to be an issue with the blend door for allowing air cooling of the hybrid batteries. 2) the power steering went out completely for the car. We have had no prior problems with the steering, and the system check showed no problem (I believe it checks fluid levels) so the problem appeared to be electrical.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 252012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Driving on the interstate and the car shuts down displaying a stop safely now error.... apparently a faulty pump. The same pump that we've already replaced 3 times..... not only is this annoying but it's a huge safety problem. The vehicle loses all power!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 272012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

While traveling on an interstate hwy at 70 mph and passing a semi, the engine shut off and the stop safely now warning came on. There was no warning, I lost speed and barely moved out of the way of the truck. This failure almost cost me and my passenger our lives. The car started again about half an hour later but only ran long enough to limp to a gas station. We called aaa, had the car towed to a dealership where they diagnosed it as either the ignition switch or the PCM...I have two sons who are top mechanics. This is not the problem. They believe a wiring harness for the hybrid battery is defective, and that there was a letter sent to all hybrid owners. I took this letter to the local dealership when I received it. They said it didn't pertain to my vehicle and did not perform the required maint. Really" this is a serious safety hazard. How many accidents, deaths, or near misses must happen before Ford reacts and actually owns up" fyi blogging is out there for us all!

- Bentonville, AR, USA

Jul 282012

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford escaper hybrid. The contact stated that a triangle warning symbol illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the failure was diagnosed as the electronic motor cooling pump trans axle having overheated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and a complaint was taken. The contact stated that the battery had also failed several times. The dealer performed a diagnostic that was unable to locate a failure code. In addition, the air conditioner, water pump, electronic battery and the cooling fan were replaced but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 73,000.

- Murrieta , CA, USA