2006 Ford Escape Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments

Aug 262016

Escape Hybrid

My vehicle has 75,000 miles on it. I bought it Oct.9,2015 with 72,000 miles on it. In May 2016 the engine started cutting out and the message would read "service engine" along with a yellow wrench appearing on the dash. I had the vehicle taken to the local Ford dealer and was told I needed a harness. I paid $1004 for the new harness and they also installed a fan for the hybrid system. The car did it again a few days later and I had it towed back to the dealer. The service department told me they had made a mistake and had to call Ford to get the correct codes to fix the car. I was told it was done and picked it up. The same thing happened less than 4 days later. I had the car towed again and let the dealership send my car home with a mechanic for 2 days. I was told nothing is wrong and picked it up. I now have the ABS light coming on, the red triangle safety light coming on, the red brake light coming on, the low tires light coming on (it stays on) and the yellow wrench light coming on. At night when I turn on my right blinker the high beams come on. The dealership says there is nothing wrong and no codes come up on their machine. When I brake I have to push very hard and sometimes the brakes lock up on me. I have avoided accidents so far but I am concerned at this point. I do not want to be injured or killed and I certainly do not want to injure or kill anyone in an accident that could be avoided, if Ford had a mechanic that knows what is happening with the car. When I am driving the car will suddenly shut off in traffic and I have to stop, put the car in park and restart it. This is good for about 10 minutes before it acts up again.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Aug 042010

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving various speeds, the power steering malfunctioned and the wrench light illuminated, which made it extremely hard to maneuver the wheel. The contact mentioned that the vehicle resumed normal operation after turning the engine off for several minutes. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Jan 012016

Escape Hybrid

Vehicle was parked. Restarted and power steering wouldn't work. Yellow wrench warning, and power steering listed on fault indicator. Will take to dealer.

- Salem, OR, USA

Nov 242015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while parked, the power steering failed. In addition, when the vehicle was being driven, the steering wheel seized and was difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 137,000. VIN was not provided.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 152015

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Abrupt loss of power steering assist. Electric power assisted steering system failed. Does gives message "service pwr steering" on dashboard, but provides no useful function. Car did not crash at time of failure, but controlling it was very difficult, requiring high physical effort to move steering wheel. Though manufacturer has recalled 2008 model for this problem, 2006 is not on the recall and manufacturer refuses to provide repair.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jan 262015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph and making right turn, the steering wheel seized and the service power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 157,872.

- Allison Park , PA, USA

Aug 122014

Escape Hybrid

Traveling home on the interstate at about 70mph and the motor shut off, giving me a 'stop safely now' with the red triangle light on. I stopped, waited a few minutes on the roadside and it started again. Headed home again, when about a mile and it happened again. Waited a few minutes by the road, then took off. This time I turned off the A/C and made a few miles to the house.

- Enterprise, MS, USA

Jul 172014

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while parking, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the torque sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that there was a manufacturers recall related to the failure however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 102014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Completely lost power steering with no warning while making a right turn into oncoming traffic. Left me in a dangerous situation without power to turn the vehicle in time to avoid the incoming traffic.

- Monrovia, CA, USA

Mar 012014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

My 2006 Ford Escape hybrid sporatically looses power steering without any warning or clear indication of root cause. It has happened while making turns on resident streets and while traveling at high velocity on major highways. The manufacturer has replaced parts at a combined cost of ~3500 and the car continues to have the same problem. I believe Ford does not understand the problem nor have they adequately evaluated the risk of the issue. I would not even consider letting my wife drive this car due to the amout of force it takes to control the car once the steering goes out.

- Marblehead, MA, USA

Apr 092014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

It is so obvious that Ford has a major problem with their power steering on most of their hybrids and they should recall this problem. I totally lost steering that was very dangerous it was like being at the gym to try and steer my 06 feh.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Sep 162013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Electric assisted power steering not functional. Dealer troubleshooting consisted of reading codes, then indicating that the entire rack and pinion assembly needed replaced ($2200). Replaced the assembly, still doesn't work. The electronic steering control module was replaced, still doesn't work. The repair shops and the dealers have inadequate information and training to repair these electric steering systems. There should be adequate information and training to identify the failed component, as opposed to swapping out large assemblies, and still not fixing the problem. These systems appear to have a high failure rate, and present a huge safety issue when they fail while driving! please issue a recall asap!

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Mar 182013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

1) we have been receiving a yellow wrench light indicating maintenance needed off and on for a couple of weeks even though we were well within the maintenance period. This turns out to be an issue with the blend door for allowing air cooling of the hybrid batteries. 2) the power steering went out completely for the car. We have had no prior problems with the steering, and the system check showed no problem (I believe it checks fluid levels) so the problem appeared to be electrical.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 012009

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at any speed, the steering wheel would seize and she would be unable to move it for a few seconds. After waiting a few seconds, the steering wheel would reset itself and perform as normal. The dealer made two attempts to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. No repairs were performed. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 31,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Cabot, AR, USA

Apr 202010

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Ford escape. While attempting a turn at speeds of 10 mph, the steering wheel locked as the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact moved the vehicle from the roadway and shut off the engine. The vehicle was able to be restarted and resumed normal operation after two attempts. The power steering warning light was no longer illuminated. The vehicle had not been diagnosed by the dealer. The failure and current mileages were 33,000.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

Jan 232010

Escape Hybrid

Electric controlled brakes, & electric controlled power assist steering. Seeing all that is happening to Toyota I thought I had best report my incidents to someone so that a file could be started and history could be made of defective issues with Ford Escape hybrid mine is a 2006 model and everything started just after the warranty expired. I now have 73,000 miles on the vehicle and it is always the most expensive part of the system that seems to fail according to Ford service writers. I iod some investigation when my brakes failed and it was just a wheel sensor that malfunctioned but it caused a major brake system failure and I was told it was the control module after I checked the cost I told Ford to take the fuel-saving vehicle and put it in a junkyard and then I was told by another service tech that the sensor just needed to be reset an that would be just a little over $300 so I had it serviced and now after a flat tire I am told that my power assist control unit needs replacing the owners manual said that after you use a donut tire that this could happen and again I am told it is the most expensive part to replace. My mechanic told me that Ford has the only machines that could reset these sensors, so pardon my laymans terms but Ford has you by the !@#$%.since they control the situation. I do however believe that outside electrical fields have an effect on these electrical sensors. It could be as little as a pavement sensor that controls signal lights to any other electrical field that damages these sensors that are not shielded. Thank you for reading my thoughts.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 222009

Escape Hybrid

Power steering failed while driving. Vehicle was taken to dealer for repair. Manufacturer diagnosed as "power steering control module" and replaced part. Less than two months later, power steering failed again. Vehicle again was taken to dealer for repair and diagnosed as "power steering pump wiring harness melted" power steering wiring harness part is currently not available and part is being manufactured 3 weeks after incident.

- Washington, DC, USA