1.3

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments

Nov 152016

Escape Hybrid

Power steering module suddenly malfunctioned

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 052016

Escape Hybrid

Power steering failed suddenly while driving nearly causing a serious accident. This appears to be a known problem for 2007 Ford escape vehicles and there is a recall - but for some reason it only covers 2008-2011 even though the message boards show dozens of 2007S with the exact same problem. In fact, my vehicle was manufactured in the same Kansas City plant during the covered period (after August 18, 2006), yet it is inexplicably not included in the recall. After having the power steering module replaced with a used one. The steering failed again after barely a day. This is a widespread problem that should be included in the Ford 14S05 recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 242015

Escape Hybrid

Power steering quit while pulling into a parking lot. Display showed a yellow wrench and "service pwr steering" message appeared. Drove the vehicle home then to the dealership on manual steering. Very difficult to turn vehicle on manual steering. Dealership detected a bad steering module and replaced it with a new one. The problem appears to have been resolved.

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Nov 012014

Escape Hybrid

The vehicle was being driven on my home street at low speed when power steering failed suddenly, resulting in manual steering only. With great difficulty, vehicle was then parked. Dashboard error message displayed: Svc power steering.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Jul 042014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

While pulling into a parking space, my car suddenly became extremely difficult to steer. The yellow wrench light lit up, and the digital read-out said to service the power steering. I took the car to the dealer two days ago. They are still trying to pinpoint the problem. They are now replacing the module, but advised that may not work; if it does not, they say the steering rack will need to be replaced. I am aware of Ford's recently announced recall of 2008 and later escapes for power steering failures. After discussing that with the dealer, I called Ford customer service and spoke with a representative. He said my car is not covered by the recall. I told him I understood that, but perhaps their recall should be expanded. He asked why I was calling, and I said the dealer had told me to call and start the claims process. At first, he told me there was no claim I could make because the recall doesn't cover my car, but ultimately gave me a case number. (I don't know if he actually a claim or just gave me a number to get me off the phone.)

- Riverside, CA, USA