2008 Ford Escape Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 152016

Escape Hybrid

The vehicle stalled and lost all power to the engine with a "pull over safely" sign while on the freeway back in September 2013 wherein I was told to have the cooling part for the hybrid battery replaced. I was told the part was faulty. The replaced part had to be replaced again that same week by another dealership with Ford. Fast forward to today, and the same red triangle warning lights appeared and the part needs to be replaced again. The warranty for the part is only for 2 years, but after 3 years with the part, the dealership is telling me it needs to be replaced again. I find this aggregious in nature and a racket that Ford is taking advantage of their customers. The make and model were a part of a recall specific to this very issue, but my specific VIN number was not included in this recall, so I'm out of options for Ford to address this issue themselves, telling me that it is out of warranty and they will not assist me with the replacement/costs and now I'm expected to come out of pocket again for the same issue. The original situation occurred while traveling 70mph on the I5 southbound near lake elsinore, ca in the hov lane on the freeway, and two days ago it was stationary and could not be started after driving it that morning after sitting for one hour.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 202016

Escape Hybrid

It was been more than couple years ago when I had error message" stop safely now" on my Ford 2008 Escape hybrid. During that time, I was driving interstate round 50-60 miles per hour and all of sudden, it stop the engine. I took the dealer the next day. They get it fixed. Until recently, May 22, 2016 and June 20,2016 the error "stop safely message" came back. I took to the same dealer I used to go but this time. I left it for 2 days but the dealer said it will take a while to diagnose whats is the issue. I had to rent a car for those days but my car was not fix or the dealer saying it will take a while. I am sure they know what is the error code. Is this a recall?I seen other complain in here almost the same like me.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Apr 262015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving approximately 30 mph, the "turn off engine immediately" warning indicator illuminated. The contact pulled over and waited approximately 30 minutes before the vehicle was restarted. After the vehicle was restarted, a lock with a key warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle was previously serviced per an unknown recall for the same failure in 2013. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- San Fransisco, CA, USA

May 212016

Escape Hybrid

When the engine was warm, the engine would surge then stall at highway speeds (55+). a red hazard light then came on, and a stop safely message came on. Pulling the vehicle over, and restarting the vehicle allowed further driving for another 20-30 miles before the issue would happen again.

- Ames, IA, USA

Feb 252016

Escape Hybrid

After approx. 10 minutes of stop and go driving at <5mph a tone sounded, a red triangle lit, and the led indicated "stop safely now." The engine did not stall, shut down, or give any other indication of a fault, therefore I continued driving at <15mph to the nearest parking lot and turned off the engine. After I returned several hours later the engine started normally with no fault indication, and I was able to drive home without any further fault indication. I read on the web that this had occurred with other 2008 Escape hybrids and was due to a faulty hybrid system electronics cooling pump. One complainant indicated that the 2008 Escape hybrids had been recalled for this issue, but the recall does not show on your, or on Ford's, database for this vehicle. Has this been reported previously, and was there a recall?

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Nov 232015

Escape Hybrid

In 2012, I was driving on freeway at approx 70mph when I heard the warning sound and red light warning me to "stop safely now." I had to cross four lanes of traffic and barely got to the shoulder before the power shut down completely. I waited and it restarted, but it did it two more times before I reached my destination. I called and took my vehicle for repair, which was determined to be the coolant pump (cost $1010.96). The next year a recall for this issue occurred and I was refunded the cost for repair. Today, 2015, the same issue occurred. This time I had just pulled off from a traffic light making a U-turn, so traveling maybe 10 mph when I got the same sound and warning red light as I felt the engine losing power. I got through the busy intersection and safely to the shoulder. I immediately drove the vehicle to the dealership. This time I was told the issue was the throttle body. It was cleaned and reprogrammed (cost $369.15; I was told my vehicle is not in the VIN# group). While the costs have been high financially, we are mostly concerned about the potential costs from having the vehicle suddenly lose power and shut down. Both times I have been very lucky to avoid crashes. Same symptoms, different diagnoses; concerned about what might happen next.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 272015

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the engine stalled as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000. Update 01/13/16

- Covina, CA, USA

Oct 192015

Escape Hybrid

Electronic throttle body failure equivalent to the customer satisfaction program but told my VIN number is not in the applicable group. Loss of all engine power while on the freeway traveling at 65mph with a semi tractor trailor behind me. I was barely able to get the vehicle onto the side of the road.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Mar 292015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving various speeds, the stop safely now warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle decelerated independently. After shutting down the vehicle for several minutes, it resumed normal operation once restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician determined that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not affected by a customer satisfaction program. The contact experienced the failure described in the program. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 132014

Escape Hybrid

Vehicle gasoline engine power quits with no warning. I have experienced this only when driving on the highway and only when driving for more that approximately 20 minutes. A "pull over safely now", or words to that effect, appear on the information screen. The electric engine will continue to work if it has charge. The car will restart almost immediately, but will quickly stall again if the engine is not allowed to cool down. This is very dangerous as it occurs only at high speed.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Jan 192006

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Warning light came on to "stop vehicle safely". we pulled off highway, car restarted. This kept happening, finally had car towed to local garage. They determined it was a code indicating a problem under recall, and advised we take it to the Ford dealer. Local garage had cleared out error codes, so Ford dealer said we had to wait until it happened again, they would then repair it. This means we cannot trust the car, and must only drive within a towing range. How long does Ford have to repair a known problem, or can they tell owners to wait until the car actually has the problem again?

- Glen Ellen, CA, USA

Jan 032015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving approximately 35 mph, the engine stalled without warning. After restarting the vehicle, the rpms began to increase rapidly. The vehicle was driven with caution due to the excessive hesitation. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the throttle body was stuck and required replacement. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 125,700.

- Bethel, NC, USA

Sep 292014

Escape Hybrid

The issue has happened several times. Latest was 2 days ago. While driving, the car acceleration all of a sudden drops to zero and the car will not go. It does not shut off but it cannot be driven. After about 2 or 3 minutes a message comes on the dash that says "it is safe to shut off your vehicle now." Once the vehicle is shut off and I wait about 5 minutes I can start it again. It happens while driving down the road. There is a recall issued for this problem but because there isn't a yellow triangle warning on my dash Ford and the dealer will not do the recall because there is a shortage of parts. So I have to drive an unsafe car until there are parts available all because I don't have a code. Dealer claims there is a ground fault wire problem and refuses to do the recall. This is really unsafe when driving down the freeway and all of a sudden the car comes to a complete stop on me. They know it's a problem for people but won't fix it because they don't have the parts even though recall letters came out in October. It's now January.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 122014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Refer to tsb-08-24-5 and recall 14S19. Escape hybrid experienced the exact failure described in the recall notice while passing another vehicle at 70 mph. The engine shut off and a red triangle appeared. Vehicle was repaired the next day at the owners expense by an authorized Ford dealer who noted the tsb number on the repair invoice. This VIN number was excluded from Ford's list as a covered vehicle. Ford representatives denied any interest in refunding the repairs costs even though the vehicle was in the group and failure was exactly as described in the recall notice. Ntsb needs to expand this recall to all vehicles with this failure even if they are not on Ford's list.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 312014

Escape Hybrid

As I was driving to work, I accelerated and at about 40mph a red triangle with an exclamation point in the middle showed up on my dashboard and my engine shut off. Very scary! I have looked online and it seems to be an issue with the cooling system. I had to deal with the triangle of death a couple years ago and now this. I will be taking it to the dealer today! it looks like there are quite a few people that have had the same issue! Ford needs to recall this item! it is very dangerous!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 082013

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway and the vehicle abruptly lost power, a triangle with an exclamation point came on in the dashboard and the data system said "stop safely now". this happened multiple times during the same drive. The dealership replaced the mec pump. About one year later the same issue began occurring multiples times per day until I was able to get it to a dealership. They replaced the throttle body, the issue occurred again. They replaced the transmission, the issue occurred again. It is now at the Ford dealership getting diagnosed yet again. This is a very serious safety issue and must be resolved.

- Avondale, PA, USA

Sep 302014

Escape Hybrid

Engine died multiple times in a parking lot. Car had been idling and had recently been driven over thirty miles on the highway and the ambient temperature was over 90 deg F. had the car towed home because the dealer service dept was closed. The next day the dealer was unable to reproduce the problem and no dtc found in ECM. Paid the dealer for diagnostic time and picked up up the car. One week later, the car died again while driving at about 10-20 mph. Dashboard display said to pull over and park safely. After waiting for 30 minutes for the engine to cool, we were able to drive the three miles home. The next day at the dealer, no dtc found in the ECM, but the dealer said that the symptoms pointed to a throttle body problem. They were unable to recalibrate the throttle body, so they asked us to approve paying for a throttle body cleaning, which we did. This seems to indicate that the hybrid system directs the engine to shut off whenever it detects a sensor problem that it can not resolve. Most cars would produce a cel illuminated on the dash and set a limp home mode. The Escape hybrid seems to just shut off and let you hope for the best. This may seem like an irrational response to a modest problem, but these were the same things that happened before when the problem was diagnosed as a pump problem for the electronics, which is now a safety recall for 2005-2008 Escape hybrids. To compound the problem, the dealer did not offer to refund our previous payment for the pump replacement. I had to ask for it and am now waiting for them to give me a refund, even though the Ford website clearly states that they should expedite refunds for prior work done once a recall is started. Unhappy on multiple levels.

- Soquel, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Escape Hybrid

The electronic coolant pump is known problem and Ford is finally supposed to be fixing this through a recall October 2014. (www.greencarreports.com/news/1094407_2005-2008-Ford-escape-hybrid-recalled-also-Mercury-mariner-hybrids). driving in New Mexico on a family vacation, the car suddenly says to stop safely now warning comes up. Mind you that we are in the middle of no where and it's over one hundred degrees with two small children in the car. Somehow, we barely make it into las cruces, nm about an hour later. So, after waiting a few hours they tell us that their hybrid tech isn't there and is on vacation. Really" it took a few hours to figure out that he wasn't there" anyway, they suggested to try and continue on to phoenix, AZ where they would know what to do. So, we try heading out, but the car goes out again as soon as we get on the freeway. So, we do the pull over and restart thing about twenty times until we make it back to the las cruces dealership. We had to stay in las cruces for a week, costing us thousands of dollars in what we now call the adventure of a lifetime. This has recently happened again with our escape, and they want to charge us again to fix this. Ford needs to get it's act together, or I will not be purchasing from them again.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Sep 232014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

My wife left our house to run errands in our 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. She didn't even get out of the neighborhood before she got the "stop safely now" warning, and the vehicle went into "limp home mode". she turned around in a neighbor's driveway and came back home. I took it to the dealership today thinking that it might be the mecs pump for which there is a recent recall. It turns out that it was the throttle body causing the warning. Even though there was a NHTSA investigation on the throttle bodies of these vehicles (DP12006), the 2008 Ford Escape hybrids were not included in Ford consumer satisfaction program #13N03, which extends the warranty of the throttle body on some escape models (among other vehicles). So, I now have to spend $775 to replace a part that was known to have issues. Luckily, my wife was not on the highway with our 2-month old daughter when this occurred. I don't quite understand how escapes from 2005 to 2012 were part of the investigation, but the preliminary evaluation PE13-003 only applies to 2009 - 2012 models.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jul 192014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

When driving at higher speeds (approximately over 50 mph), the car would suddenly lose engine power and the "stop safely now" message would come on. The car would go into limp-home mode and allow me to pull over to the side of the road. Turning off the car and restarting it would alleviate the problem for a few more minutes of driving. This happened about 15 times on a 60 mile trip home, allowing me to drive anywhere from one to 10 miles at a time before the engine shut off. This was accompanied at times with an engine overheating message. I took the car to the dealer for a repair. They claimed it was a malfunctioning electronic throttle body and replaced it for about $1000. A week later, the same thing happened twice on a 30-mile highway trip when driving at higher speeds, but has not happened since then.

- Washington, DC, USA