2008 Ford Escape Hybrid miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments

Sep 102015

Escape Hybrid

Ignition had to turn several times take key in and out. Then one day just would not start. Vehicle was stationary.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Nov 152014

Escape Hybrid

When I push down on the gas pedal the car would shut the engine off and give me a red triangle symbol and tell me to pull over safely. I would then turn the car ignition off and restart the engine and it would be fine again. I then did some research and found that this was an issue with 2008-2011 Ford escapes and the issue was a faulty throttle body which Ford issued a recall for. I went to the dealer to have it replaced, but the recall that was issued only applied to Ford escape non hybrids even though it was the same issue. This issue had been going on for 1 year before I had it replaced in Nov of 2014.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 252016

Escape Hybrid

After approx. 10 minutes of stop and go driving at <5mph a tone sounded, a red triangle lit, and the led indicated "stop safely now." The engine did not stall, shut down, or give any other indication of a fault, therefore I continued driving at <15mph to the nearest parking lot and turned off the engine. After I returned several hours later the engine started normally with no fault indication, and I was able to drive home without any further fault indication. I read on the web that this had occurred with other 2008 Escape hybrids and was due to a faulty hybrid system electronics cooling pump. One complainant indicated that the 2008 Escape hybrids had been recalled for this issue, but the recall does not show on your, or on Ford's, database for this vehicle. Has this been reported previously, and was there a recall?

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 282013

Escape Hybrid

While driving 65 miles per hour an alarm sounded and the odometer read "stop safely now." I lost all power to the vehicle and was able to pull over safely. I was able to restart the vehicle with no problem and continued on my way. When I reached 60 miles per hour the same thing happened. This continued to happen 6 times and then the odometer read "high engine temp" and the vehicle then died and made a "whirling" sound. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership and when I got there they told me "I was able to start it right up." The dealership found it to be tsb 8-24-5. the coolant pump was not working and needed to be replaced. Ford is well aware of this problem and still have not placed a recall on this!! what will it take, people to die when this happens? for me, this was the last straw. I traded in my 2008 Ford Escape hybrid as I no longer felt safe in this vehicle!!

- Robbinsdale, MN, USA

Apr 242011

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

I was traveling through nyc on rt 95 during rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic. All 3 lanes were traveling at 65 mph with no breakdown lane due to construction in the area. The car for no apparent reason displayed the "stop safely now" message and the engine died. By some miracle the jersey barriers blocking the breakdown lane opened up for about 100 ft and I was able to pull over. The car loses all power when the stop safely now message appears. This is a hazard and this car should be recalled for this problem. It turned out the cooling pump needed to be replaced. No car should simply shut off when driving. It creates an extremely dangerous situation. I had 18 wheelers and a stream of cars behind me and had the breakdown lane not been available, there would have been a multiple car crash with potential deaths. It is hard to believe that there have been no accidents due to this problem. This car is unsafe to drive because you have no idea when the engine will shut off. The car needs to be redesigned so that the stop safely now message never shuts down the engine.

- Plainville, MA, USA

Sep 052010

Escape Hybrid

Driving on a highway when I suddenly lost all power. The dashboard of the vehicle showed a symbol of an exclamation point surrounded by a triangle. Moreover, the dash stated "stop safely now." At this time we had been traveling in a work zone that was one lane, and surrounded by concrete barriers, with no shoulder. A tractor trailer was following closely, so when I all of a sudden went from 65 to no power whatsoever, I was almost hit. Furthermore, I had to block traffic to turn off my vehicle and to restart it. My 2008 Ford Escape hybrid repeated this same occurrence many times. Since the first incident, this has happened numerous times, unfortunately all occurring on highways where I was traveling at significant speeds. I have spent a lot of money that has not resolved this recurring problem, which is a significant safety hazard. Ford has not posted any recalls, but the blogs have shown that many others have suffered from this occurrence. Please step in and advice Ford that although the "limp home mode" may be for the safety of the vehicle, it is not safe for me.

- Richmondville, NY, USA

Jan 132011

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Red triangle light with exclamation lights up on dash. Can not accelerate past 15 miles per hour.

- San Ramon, CA, USA