2008 Ford Escape Hybrid seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments

Sep 012012

Escape Hybrid

Since the first time I experienced a braking failure incident I have done a lot of research&visits to mechanics to retrieve codes thrown from the car off diagnostic machines. Replacing the hcu carries a premium price tag of $5K-7K. Prior to the first accident, there is no obvious way that I could have damaged the hcu with my very normal driving habits (I.e.no history of towing, no long downhill braking)&the hcu is not a component susceptible to wear to the point of early failure. I believe that the Escape hybrids braking system is defective by design (hence the tsb)&fault lies with Ford.I consider this brake failure very serious&a problem that Ford had never bothered to notify me about or recall.my attempts to get Ford's attention on this matter have been fruitless.to summarize NHTSA is not concerned B/C nobody has gotten killed by these defective brakes. Ford claims no responsibility for this very serious&significantly dangerous design flaw.after several episodes of brake failure I found tsb 05-8-5 (8/5/05 NHTSA id#10017553:escape hybrid vehicles exhibit the yellow ABS&red E- brake warning lamps illuminating after the engine is started, &an increase in brake pedal effort)Ford claims no responsibility to deal w/the problem.its not safe to drive w/O the repair, it had no value being broken, &I did not have the conscience to sell the vehicle w/a dangerous problem.Ford failure to proactively address this safety issue is rather appalling.Ford abandoned me w/a$7,000 bill to repair a problem that is solely related to their poor design.first accident description:ABS warning light&service engine light illuminated on cluster."service brake system"&"regenerative braking disabled" illuminated on message board. On the highway in rush hour traffic, upon extreme braking, brakes failed to stop the vehicle in time to avoid a rear-end collision with the vehicle stopped in front of me.

- Pacific, MO, USA

Apr 212013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Vehicle would show a warning message at highway speeds stop safely now and the first time it had done this was approx 1 yr from the date of me buying the vehicle. On the morning of April 21, 2013 the situation occurred only that this time I had a vehicle directly behind me and another in the line to my right. My only option on a 2 lane highway was to swerve to my left to avoid any other vehicles being involved. With no control over brakes or acceleration I hit the metal center divider air bags all deployed except for my drivers steering wheel. With this my car was declared totaled but I have incurred many additional costs due to this vehicle failure. Looking at the website 100+ complaints and only 1 investigation. Something needs to be done.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA