1.3

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 032015

Escape Hybrid

My 2008 Ford Escape hybrid has a power steering recall out. The vehicle was taken in to a local dealership to be repaired in accordance with the recall. However, within three days the power steering shut off without warning. The point of the recall was to address this issue of sudden power steering shutoff without warning. After talking with the dealership, they acknowledged that the recall does not adequately address the problem and multiple customers have complained that the power steering is still failing after being "fixed" in accordance with the recall. There are 1.1 million vehicles affected by this recall and Ford has yet to properly address the issue. This recall has been in effect since May 2014 and the problem is not being fixed.

- Arcadia, OK, USA

Dec 112012

Escape Hybrid

I experienced the "sudden loss of power steering". took car into service and they argued with me but finally found and repaired the issue. This was about 2 years ago. I think I was charged for the repair. Can I get my money back from the service dept since the was identified as a defect?

- St Helena, CA, USA

Apr 062015

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

May 2014 recall involved the power steering control module and torque sensors that could cause loss of power steering making it difficult to steer. I had been noticing slipping in my steering wheel with slight pulling to opposite side. It happened in straight driving condition such as interstates but seemed more noticeable as I was navigating a curve. I took it to my Ford dealership with a recall notice I had and told them I was having these problems and concerned. They checked it out and told me they had reset a power steering control module and sent me on my way. It seemed alittle better at first but then started noticing again same problem. 10 month later I totally loss my power steering while driving home with my family. It became difficult to steer and I almost hit a truck coming around curve. Took it back to my Ford dealership was told torque sensor gone out and Ford service department says call recall hot line staying they felt should be taken care of under recall since I had been in with it before and torque sensor was part of recall. I call hot line set up case and was denied by Ford saying at the time of service during first recall visit I made they had found no defaults so they only reset power steering control module and closed recall out on my escape. I am outraged that Ford did not take into consideration their on certified mechanics and staff who advises me that this problem should have been detected and fixed with my visit that I had been having problems. Instead this continued to escalade until I totally lost power steering that could have caused wreck and ending badly. I feel Ford has taken recall efforts as cheap as possible with resetting these power steering control modules rather than taking extra steps in replacing torque sensors that were part of.

- Dandridge , TN, USA

Mar 072015

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Parked the car at night, next morning the power steering didn't work at all.

- Dacula, GA, USA

Feb 122015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel seized and the contact lost control of the vehicle. The contact was able to veer to the right and stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 300,000.

- Foster City, CA, USA

Feb 072015

Escape Hybrid

Local Ford dealer complied with Ford recall notice two months ago on steering column. They said there were no problems with the sensor. Last weekend, "power steering assist fault" light came on. Never before hand a problem with steering or had ever seen this indicator light. Within 24 hours of first seeing the warning light, the power steering failed completely. I took it to the dealer yesterday. This morning the dealer tells me I need to replace the steering column, to be paid for by me personally, as it is not covered by this recall (which incidentally stated it would replace the steering column if necessary). Approx. Cost $1200, which I have authorized. Googling around the internet, it seems I am not alone.

- Fairbanks, AK, USA

Jan 162015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the contact stated that the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply excessive force to the steering wheel in order to turn the vehicle. In addition, the power steering assist warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic diagnosed that the power steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jan 202015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while at a stop light, the steering wheel seized without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The failure mileage was 81,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jan 012015

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the power steering failed causing the steering wheel to seize. The vehicle was previously taken to the dealer where the techniciansmade unknown repairs to the vehicle. The problem did not recur until recently. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Nov 102014

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. The contact stated the vehicle stalled intermittently. The contact mentioned that a knocking noise emitted from the steering column as the power steering seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the contact's vehicle was affected by recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The vehicle was repaired. However, the second day after the software was reprogrammed the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who diagnosed that the entire steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 117,540.

- Passaic, NJ, USA

Nov 182014

• 1,990,000 miles

Car steering just stopped working and car became almost impossible to steer. Almost had accident. Took it to Ford dealer ship and they will charge over $900 to repair and take 2 days. Steering column must be replaced according to Ford dealer.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Sep 102014

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning and excessive force was required. The vehicle was merged to side of the road where it was turned off and restarted. The vehicle resumed normal function but the failure recurred multiple times. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician informed the contact that they would only update the software and could not replace the pscm. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer for a diagnosis and they stated that the pscm needed to be replaced. However, the part could not be replaced under the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and did not offer further assistance. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

May 142014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

This was already registered on this website, although no one has contacted me. I have also been in contact with sarah mcshane. This is in reference to recall 14V-284/14S05, where Ford escape and mariners lose their power steeting. Our vehicle actually lost its ps a couple of weeks before the recall. We took the vehicle to Washington (pa) Ford. They had to replace our ignition to get the recall code. Once they did that, they completed step 1 of the recall to reprogram the power steering module. At that point, Washington Ford closed out the recall, saying that it was fixed. This was before I was able to test the vehicle. As soon as I drove off of the lot, the ps continued to turn off and on. To this day (4 months later), the ps continues to turn off and on at random, accompanied by a loud click from the steering column. Woltz and wind Ford let us know that they contacted Ford corporate, and they were told that no work could be done on the recall, since it was closed. This seems like an error, and we need to have our recall opened back up. Please contact me asap to help me from wrecking. Numerous times, I have been going 60 or 70 mph on the highway when this has happened, resulting in near death. This cannot be safe or a responsibility of me, the owner.

- Upper St. Clair, PA, USA

Aug 022014

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

I had my 2008 Ford Escape hybrid serviced at koons Ford after receiving safety recall 14S05 from Ford Motor Company. The recall is to repair a potential safety issue related to the electric power steering system. After receiving the repair to correct the issue in safety recall notice 14so5, my vehicle developed steering / suspension problems. At highway speeds the steering on the Ford escape is now very sensitive causing the vehicle to feel unsteady at times. (if feels like it is swaying slightly from side to side.) we first noticed the issue within a week of having the repair done. As we caravanned to our summer vacation, my wife was driving behind me on the highway. At a rest stop she asked if I was tired and having trouble driving. She informed that from her vantage point it looked like the car was swerving. I was well rested and shared with her that it also felt as though the steering / suspension was loose. We have also noticed, at low speeds, that the steering wheel has more play to it now.

- Washington , DC, USA

Mar 012014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was making a corner at approximately 40 mph when my power steering gave out. If I had not been a wrestling coach, I would have had an accident. If my wife had been driving, there would have been an accident. I immediately got myself to the dealership, where they had to replace the entire steering column because of a broken part. I have had two friends where this has happened. I just recently received a recall notice 14S05/NHTSA recall 14V-284. I went to the dealership and found out the recall which affects the steering mechanism is a computer program that produces the same effect and not a structural problem of the steering column. I am having the repair done today, but I am concerned that there may be other dangerous structural problems out there with the steering column. My experience has not been unique.

- Broomall, PA, USA

Dec 262012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

12/26/2012 I was making a U-turn and my steering wheel locked up. Almost hit the light post, another car, almost ran up on the curb and almost hit a rock/boulder sign. Problem went away once I restarted car. Car sat in mechanic shop for weeks, due to back order, and was finally fixed. A new steering column cost me $1064.35 - I also have the original part. 10/26/13 I was driving on freeway, at midnight, and was two hours away from my house. My car kept slipping and the steering wheel was loose. I almost hit the freeway median multiple times, almost hit multiple cars, and almost spun out while on my drive home that night. I did not have a tow truck come because state farms computers were down and I'd have to pay $69 a mile if a tow came- and I was still two hours away from home. I took my car to my mechanic the next day and was told, again, that I am lucky to be alive. My U-join was completely broken and was told that this is also related for the steering column. I paid another $287.06 and had a new U-joint placed. I contacted Ford about this steering problem, when my column had to be replaced, and they told me that they have no documented reports of an issue and that there is no recall. The internet states otherwise, and I read thousands of accounts of people getting into accidents due to their steering wheel locking up.

- Oakley, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

While driving in a residential street at 30 miles per hour the steering wheel locked up for about three seconds during a deceleration period approaching a stop sign. This occurred while trying to move the vehicle slightly to the left in the center of the lane correction.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

May 162014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

My vehicle is part of the Ford recall for the power steering control module. Ford is refusing to cover it, even though our VIN is reported on Ford's recall website as part of the recall.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 082014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Car goes limp. Ford has tsb 08-24-05. Mecp fails. Poor design. Has gone limp on me ~8 times. Each time car drifts to a stop regardless of location, speed, etc...(eg, can be going 75mph on highway) and it goes limp. Cannot move afterwards for minutes. Many cases of this happening have been reported. Tsb 08-24-5 states that some 2005-2008 Escape hybrid and 2006-2008 mariner hybrid vehicles may exhibit a red triangle light and codes indicating a transaxle overtemp. This condition may result in reduced power as the system activates fail safe operation. Codes P1A0E, P1A0F, P0A3C, P0A3E, P0A7A, P0A7C and P1A0D may also be set.

- Lee, NH, USA

Apr 292014

Escape Hybrid

The power steering locked up on me as I was driving making it impossible to drive the car. I was able to pull over and stop the car because I happen to be driving very slowly at the time and shut off the car and then restarted it. After I restarted it the steering worked fine. I looked online to see why that would happen and I found 302 other people complaining of the same problem www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2008/Ford/escape/steering. the complaints say that this will happen more and more frequently and can happen when driving on the highway. Ford is not doing a recall apparently even though this lack of steering happens with no warning as people are driving at high rates of speed. This is very dangerous!

- Brooklyn, NY, USA