2008 Ford Escape Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2008 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Mar 202014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Power assisted steering locked upon starting the car, this has happened every time I start my car and I have to restart my car 6+ times to get my steering to unlock. The steering wheel shakes at stoplights and is favoring the left when driving straight. When the steering is locked it is near impossible to turn the car. I have to worry every day that the car might lock up on the freeway when I am driving to work. I have seen hundreds of other reports like this on the internet yet no recall...

- Eden Prairie, MN, USA

Mar 032014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Lost power steering totally on my Ford escape. No warning lites were displayed. Have had the steering stop a few times before and stopped vehicle and restarted and no problems. Per Ford when I asked in past it was something to do with the sensor located in steering column but nothing showed up in the computer. I have emailed Ford and received a response that there is no recall or financial assistance to repair problem. They recommend I save the receipt of about $1700. In case they do a recall later.

- Milan, IL, USA

Feb 022014

Escape Hybrid

Several times since buying my car in Nov 2013 my steering wheel has locked up on me so that it is extremely difficult to turn the wheel, typically when turning a corner, almost causing accidents. I have been very lucky that there were no other vehicles around since I was unable to pull completely over in one case and I was unable to complete the turn in my own lane in another. I am very worried that this will happen in traffic and myself and others could be injured or even killed. And neither Ford or warranty company is willing to repair/replace.

- Escalon, CA, USA

Mar 182014

Escape Hybrid

I stopped at a stop sign and attempted to turn left up a hill. The steering locked and for a second or two I couldn't turn and was afraid I would crash into the hillside. After braking the steering column unlocked. I took it to the dealer and they were unable to duplicate the problem so they recommend replacing the whole column at my expense.

- Studio City, CA, USA

Feb 132013

Escape Hybrid

This has happened multiple times.... while driving slow (5-10 mph) and turning, power steering goes out making it extremely difficult to turn the wheel. This has resulted in near head-on collisions more than once when the turning radius could not be maintained and I drifted over into oncoming traffic. This is a major safety concern that many others with these electric power steering Escape hybrids have had. I will not let my wife drive the vehicle now until we have saved enough to fix the problem (quoted $1,400).

- Asheville , NC, USA

Feb 252014

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Steering wheel developed excess play and now pulses and vibrates with minimal pressure on the steering wheel. Steering has not yet failed but taking car into the dealership tomorrow. After reading about similar problems with Ford's electronic power assist steering I'm now afraid to drive the vehicle. Other problems seem to be reported at similar mileage to our vehicle's.

- Palmer Lake, CO, USA

Feb 032014

Escape Hybrid

While driving the car I came to a stop sign and the steering wheel started to vibrate and jerk when the car was stopped. This continued for the drive to work, at each stop the steering wheel was moving. When leaving work, after starting the car, found that there was no power steering. Turned off the car and re-started it, the power steering came back. Since that time the problem has become more frequent. Sometimes I have to restart the car a few times before the steering activates. We just dropped it off at a dealership for inspection, our local garage could get no help from Ford on what was required for the repair or what the computer codes meant, other than they were related to the steering column. So now we are being told by Ford that the repair can range from $600 to $1,500 to fix the problem, but they are not sure what it is, and that they do not believe what was reported on the internet is the cause. If all of the symptoms match the others listed how can the problem be something else?

- Wheatfield, IN, USA

Sep 132012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Stopped at intersection waiting to turn left. Turned the wheel left to make the turn while applying the accelerator. The power steering support went out, making it almost impossible to turn the vehicle. The wheel was partially turned and would essentially not turn any further. At the same time it felt like the brakes were not as effective either. After approximately two seconds, power was restored to the steering and I was able to recover and complete the turn. This has happened three times, all in left turns from a stop while attempting to begin the turn. After the third time I took the vehicle to the dealer. The Ford dealer replaced components of the steering column in an attempt to fix this, and so far it has not returned.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Nov 242013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

The first time this occurred was approximately 5 months ago (est. 132K miles) while driving in city traffic, I swerved and brake quickly to avoid a road hazard (large pothole) estimated speed was under 20 mph. The power steering failed and the vehicle continued to run in electric (hybrid) mode and was able to muscle it off to the side of the road. Restarting the engine resolved the issue and the car has been fine until two weeks ago. The second time was in late November, mileage 135K, was slowly turning into a traffic circle at approx. 10 mph, without warning power steering failed the same as the previous time. I was able to stop and restart the car which restored the power steering. After the second experience I did some research online and am seeing that this is a known issue and has been reported to your Agency (three different web sites with multiple complaints). I find it hard to believe that a recall has not required - someone will get hurt if this happens at highway speed to an inexperienced driver. I have worked as a professional mechanic and have a decent comprehension of vehicle systems (1974 - 1995), my comments are based on years of experience. I have not verified this, but one of the web posts states that Toyota experienced the same issue and did a recall."F=38&T=21918&P=316290&hilit=steering+failure#P316290"100317-power-steering-failure/page5 I will appreciate your attention to this so that Ford will take steps to rectify this dangerous condition. I have not had any other safety concerns with this vehicle since we purchased it new in 2008. I plan to report this to my senator, and state officials. Please advise the best way to move forward.

- Edgewater, MD, USA

Jul 202013

Escape Hybrid

After backing out of my garage, I put my vehicle in drive and went to turn the wheel to point it to drive down the alleyway and suddenly realized I could not turn the front wheels. I almost hit the tree beside the garage and had to take my foot off the gas and hit the brakes hard. I tried again and again to turn the wheels and could not figure out what had happened as it was fine when I drove it and parked in the garage the day before. I turned the vehicle off and restarted and found I could barely steer so had to backup and then go forward a couple inches at a time until after about 30 times back and forth could line up enough to pull straight into the garage. The vehicle is still waiting to be towed to the Ford dealer for repair. I had been starting on my way to the airport to pick up my daughter, son-in-law and three year old granddaughter so thank heavens the power steering did not go out when I was on the freeway going to or from the airport because we could have lost control and been killed.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Mar 132013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway at approximately 60 mph when all of a sudden my steering wheel tightened up where it made it very difficult to maneuver. Fortunately, it wasn't a busy day and I was able to get off to the side of the road. I'm confused why Ford has not issued any recall on this issues before someone gets killed. I understand my vehicle has a lot of miles, but 85 percent of my miles are freeway miles. My resolution was to spend $2,000 out of pocket and have the issue repaired.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Mar 282013

Escape Hybrid

For the past two or three weeks I have noticed a progressively worse shaking and vibrating in the steering column, especially when the vehicle was coming to a stop or resting. On the 27th of March, 2013 I started the vehicle and the steering was really difficult, as in the power assist wasn't helping. The brakes were still working fine. When I shut the vehilce off and restarted it, the steering was being assisted by the eps again. This was the first time it happened, but researching the problem it seems like it will get progressively worse.

- Wasilla, AK, USA

Feb 232013

Escape Hybrid

While coming to a stop I felt the steering wheel get tight and I noticed that the vehicle had lost it's power steering. I then noticed the wrench light had illuminated. This is a very dangerous defect if this were to happen going around a curve or making a turn if could cause an accident.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Feb 132013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

I was driving along and loss all power steering it was very hard to turn around a corner and if I was going any faster I probably would have not made it. I have been reading online that this is not a random occurrence several escape owners have had loss of steering.

- Richland, MO, USA

Feb 022013

Escape Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

Steering wheel has been shaking when car is stopped and at low speeds. Power steering does not work at times when car is started, I turn it off and restart the car and it works. While coming to a stop at around 35 mph the power steering failed, shut off the car and turn it back on and it still did not work. Steering wheel shakes left and right and makes a bad noise while in park and at low speeds. Have not taken car to be serviced yet.

- Altoona, IA, USA

Jan 222013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Power steering quits working while driving. Can happen at low speeds or normal driving speed. Malfunction was intermittent. Power steering would start working properly after shutting engine off and restarting engine. Problem has become more frequent and getting power steering to come back in operation after restarting has become less frequent. Steering this vehicle is very hard without power steering, making it very un-safe to drive.

- Dover, FL, USA

Jan 172013

Escape Hybrid

The auto had just had the pump that cools the hybrid engine replaced at a cost of $590 when we noticed that there was a jerking in the steering wheel when stopped. The wheel would jerk to the right and left and make a "clucking" noise. Once the car was moving the jerking seemed to stop. But then we found that when we started the car there might be no power steering or power forward. The car would have to be forcibly steered to the side and the engine turned off. Starting the engine again, the car had power steering and engine power. This began to happen nearly every time the car was started, and the jerking of the wheel every time the car was stopped at a traffic signal or stop. While the problem has yet to cause a dangerous situation the potential is certainly there should the same circumstances occur while driving. Having reviewed the web sites for problems with the 2008 escape there are literally dozens of similar complaints. One site lists nearly one hundred complaints exactly like mine and in some there have been accidents and potential injury. Ford is stonewalling everyone on this even when the mileage is less than 50, 000 miles. Often they say they know nothing of the problem and refuse to offer assistance in meeting charges that range upward to $1700. Given the information that I now have I consider this to be very dangerous and am hesitant to drive the car. The lack of concern by Ford seems to me to be a serious matter and one that should concern NHTSA.

- Taos, NM, USA

Dec 042012

Escape Hybrid

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering assist deactivated. The contact depressed the brake pedal and was able to stop the vehicle. The contact then shut the engine off and after a several minutes, was able to restart the vehicle and regain power steering assist capabilities. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the steering column would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Mar 222011

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

When I was driving on several occasions, the steering wheel would lock up and scare the heck out of me. Just today, while driving in town, I was turning left in the home depot and the steering locked up. Having experienced this several times before, I knew to grab the wheel tightly and continue my turn. My real problem is that I am now giving this car to my (daughter) new driver as her daily car. I am very concerned. I just read several blogs on several sites and all of them state that the dealers don't know and can't duplicate the problem. I have around 70,000 miles now on it, and no longer have a warranty. Besides a very tight budget, I am concerned for my daughter. Please advise. Also, please don't tell me you haven't heard of this problem either...

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Sep 182012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

Does someone have to die before Ford recalls these cars to fix the hybrid cooling system in these vehicles. I have fixed the problem once myself (two years ago) and now it is happening again. These cars shut down on the highway with out warning because of something going on with the hybrid system. This time my wife was in the passing lane when it happened. One day someone is going to die from this problem because it only happens when you are traveling at higher speeds (on a highway) the red triangle light comes on and automatically shuts down the car. Some family will be killed because of this and Ford will be caught knowing about the problem and doing nothing to fix it.

- Owasso, OK, USA