1.3

2011 Ford Escape Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Escape Hybrid:

2011 Ford Escape Hybrid Owner Comments

Nov 252016

Escape Hybrid

The power steering failed as I pulled my escape from a parking space on a city street; I could go forward or back but only turn the steering wheel with great effort. I drove home with great difficulty, barely able to turn the wheel for the turns I had to make -- it was a very dangerous situation. I checked the nhsta website and learned that Ford has issued a recall for model year 2008-2011 escapes made in the Kansas City, mo. Factory due to power steering failure and that NHTSA has an open investigation into the issue. The dealership manager towed it the next morning and told me that it would cost $2100 to replace the power steering column and housing. When I asked why it wasn't covered under the the recall when it met all the criteria, he said because it's a hybrid - the recall only applies to non-hybrids. However, the manager said he would try to get it covered. He was able to get Ford to cover two-thirds of the cost; I still had to pay $500. The manager was great, Ford was not. I'm extremely upset by Ford's position that hybrids aren't covered under the recall when the problem is exactly the same and the car met all the criteria. It was a terrible way to treat a life long Ford owner. Things would have been even worse if it weren't for the manager who was very customer-oriented.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 312016

Escape Hybrid

This complaint is closely related to a 2014 recall relative to electric power steering assist on Ford escape and Mercury mariner vehicles, however Ford states my VIN was not covered under the recall. Ref: NHTSA action#DP15001, NHTSA 14V-284, Ford 14S05. Problem: On a nearly-daily basis, the power steering assist (which is all-electric on this vehicle) "drops out" briefly - typically for 1-3 seconds - often during a turn. The vehicle steering has a strong tendency to "center" so for a driver without upper body strength this could easily cause loss of control. On two occasions the power steering assist has stopped and remained inactive after re-starting, which required me to visit a repair shop to have the software reset - a 5 minute process performed with a programmed ipad. Ford's recall center and customer relationship center took the case #, but want me to visit a dealer and pay for a diagnosis. Issue has occurred both turning and not turning; low speed and highway speed, cold and warm weather.

- Andover, CT, USA

Mar 302012

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

The steering wheel loses power while the vehicle is in motion. The vehicle needs to be turned off and restarted again to fix the problem. This problem often happens in cold weather and usually in the morning. The steering wheel also makes a weird sound before it loses power. I have friends who have the same vehicle but of different year and they had to replace the whole steering column.

- Woodside, NY, USA

Jul 242013

Escape Hybrid 4-cyl

At 40-45 mph hear wheel bearing noise. Dealer confirmed and both right front bearings (main and carrier) replaced by Ford dealer. Still had noise after replacement. Dealer confirmed that the carrier bearing just replaced was bad. Replaced carrier bearing again but still having same noise. Dealer stated there have been many wheel bearing problems, and that faulty bearings are coming to Ford from vendor. Problem as yet not resolved. Seems Ford is unable to identify which bearings are bad without installing them. I am concerned with potential wheel lock up at speeds, especially a front wheel.

- Forestville, NY, USA