1997 Ford Escort engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Ford Escort:

1997 Ford Escort Owner Comments

Jan 011998

Escort LX 2.0L

We bought the car used with approximately 50,000 Km (30,000 miles) on it. The car would always use about a liter (Quart) of oil to every oil change. This was not a big deal because having the oil down a quart when you were changing it was not a big problem. At approximately 150,000 Km (90,000 miles) we had to start adding oil between oil changes. Within a year and 20,000 Km the car could not use a tank of gas before you had to add oil. When I took the engine apart I found that Ford had failed to properly install one of the oil control rings causing it to seize up and start burning excessive amounts of oil. I told our local dealer about the problem and asked them to supply the parts I had to replace in order to fix their mistake. Their answer was that if you can get 100,000 Km (60,000 miles) out of a car you should be happy. In conclusion my complaint is not with the car so much as it is with Ford's unwillingness to own up to their mistake.

- , Sechelt, BC, Canada