$2,850.00

1. replace transmission (2 reports)
1998 Ford Escort transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Escort:

1998 Ford Escort Owner Comments

Dec 282015

Escort V4

No beef here. I LOVE my Ford Escort !

Always has gotten me from Point A to Point B safely in 3 easy steps: 1: fill up the gas tank 2. keep coolant filled 3. oil filled & changed periodically

ONLY $25 TO FILL THE GAS TANK! GREAT GAS MILEAGE TOO!

I LOVE MY ESCORT!

- , Cleveland, TN, USA

Jun 012013

Escort SE 2.0L

My wife went to back out of a parking space at her office one afternoon and heard/felt a significant "thump." She got out to see if she had hit something. Nothing there. Got back in and drove home with no problems. Next day it wouldn't go into gear. After shifting from P to R a couple times, we got it to go. Had it towed to the shop, and they told us the transmission was completely shot. They also said this is a common problem with this vehicle. What could we do? It was worthless without a transmission, so we decided to pay the $4000 to get a new one shipped up from the Lower 48 and installed. Now we've got a new tranny with a 1 year warranty. We'll be selling this van before the warranty expires.

The moral of the story is that anyone who owns 1 of these should get rid of it before 100,000 miles. I have additional posts for the other problems we've had....all starting right around 100,000.

Update from Feb 11, 2014: This was accidentally posted for the wrong vehicle. I meant to post it for our 2005 Grand Caravan. The 1998 Escort has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I just went over 128,000 miles and have had no problems that I wouldn't consider to be normal wear and tear.

- , North Pole, AK, USA