1. engine rebuild (1 reports)
1999 Ford Escort engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Escort:

1999 Ford Escort Owner Comments

Jul 272006

The car suddenly started shuttering when I'd start it up. I thought maybe "well it was really hot today so maybe it was just having an issue". I drove it around the parking lot while it did this to see if it'd stop (just rolling) and it did. A couple of days later it started shuttering really bad and just stalled. It started right up after that. My mom took it in for an oil change, but sadly they told her it just stopped working. It wouldn't even start up. I took it to a guy. Some #4 something in the engine was defective and it had been hitting something or other for a while. The whole engine needed to be rebuilt or get a new one. The car isn't even worth much more than 3000! My parents didn't want to fix it so if I paid for it I'd get it. I had to have it rebuilt because a different engine could have the same thing. I called ford, they couldn't do anything and there was no recall. NOW after 15,000 miles the car is stalling when I put it in reservse.

- , 30096 Villa Alturas, CA, USA

Jul 022006

Escort ZX2

About six months after I bought my Escort (I bought it with 62,000 miles on it), I would try to start my car, and it would stutter like it wasn't going to start. However, after a couple of tries, it always starts, even now--three years later. I've heard this problem is very common in Escorts, but it's still a pain to deal with.

- , McHenry, IL, USA