2003 Ford Escort steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Escort:

2003 Ford Escort Owner Comments

Jan 282010

Escort LX3

I've had my Ford Focus less than 2 years and I've had to replace the transmission ($1,200 - automatic), I had a cracked head in the engine ($2,100), the brake lights don't work (wiring harness on the hatchback, which is another serious reoccurring ((not reoccurring)) problem with escorts), the plug in lighter broke, and yesterday the steering wheel locked and the key wouldn't turn.

When it happened I didn't have the luxury of "googling" the problem. So after 20-30 minutes of yelling, cussing, beating my steering wheel and steering column... the key turned.

I got home and Googled the problem and wasn't shocked to see that this is yet another major reoccurring problem in the LONG list of complaints with the Ford Focus. I did try the key tapping method (hitting the key with a hammer or screwdriver) and luckily that did work. I'm going to attempt the advice given by post #98 and see if that works for me as well.

I will NEVER buy another Ford. I will bash Ford and their products for the rest of my life.

- , McDonough, GA, USA