2. replaced spark plugs (3 reports)
  3. change the head (1 reports)
  4. factory recall (1 reports)
2001 Ford Excursion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Excursion:

2001 Ford Excursion Owner Comments

Jul 092016

Excursion XLT 6.8L V10

Second time I have had a plug blow out of the head.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Jan 222016

Excursion Limited 6.8L V10

We just purchased this vehicle and sure enough right before Winter Storm Jonas, I was driving on the highway and heard a pop, thought I hit something, and pulled over. Ended up driving the sputtering vehicle home to find out it was a spark plug that popped out. My husband tried to fixed it, but needless to say, the threads were all messed up. We went thru 36 inches of snow without our 4WD vehicle, and ended up having it towed to where he bought it (and had an extended warranty). They fixed the popped spark plug by installing a helicoil. My husband and I picked up the vehicle and headed home...when POP, it happened again, this time to a different spark plug! This is beyond frustrating!!! We're just waiting to hear what their solution is this time.

- , York Springs, PA, USA

Nov 232014

Excursion V8

Ford Motor Company knows this is a problem and has not ordered a recall. According to the web, it says it happens after warranty expires, which is exactly what happened. This is the second occurrence. This is a huge inconvenience, not to mention there is no Ford dealership in our town and so we have to take it to our own mechanical shop. If Ford knew about this, why don't they take care of the problem instead of thinking it will just go away?

- , Soldotna, AK, USA

Oct 292014

Excursion XLT 5.4L

click to see larger images

spark plug ejected from cylinder head spark plug ejected from cylinder head

This truck has cost me so much in repairs I'm pissed. It has been maintained correctly. I just built the transmission at 124K miles to a tune of $2,400. This morning after dropping off the kids I hear a loud pop followed by some really nasty engine noise and the truck is barely moving. I pop the hood and find the ignition coil blown to bits and the spark plug is MIA.

What really pissed me off is I went online to find out what happened and found a ton of posts with the exact same problem and Ford has yet to recognize or recall this issue. I currently own a 2006 & 2014 Mustang and a 2013 Chevy Camaro. I plan to do some house cleaning and dump all the Fords. It makes me wonder how much money in non-repeat customers these clowns are losing because they won't take responsibility.

When I asked my daughter what car she wanted she said an F150 crew cab. I think my little girl and I need to have a talk.

- , Weston, FL, USA

Jun 152012

Excursion Limited 6.8L V10

I agree with all of the other people in this and many other forums out there. This is a major problem and Ford is turning a blind eye for a real fix. It is unfortunate that it happens only after the warranty has expired. I even tried buying an extended warranty and they would not sell me one.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 192011

Excursion Limited V10

Second time in two years, Ford should do something about this as it sounds like an ongoing issue for many ford owners.

- , Yuba City, CA, USA

Nov 152008

Excursion V10

I have lost two spark plugs in the last two weeks on my excursion. From the research I have done i am not the only one with this problem. on consumeraffairs .com, there are thousands of ford owners who have had the same problem and have posted there complaints. I have read your posting on this matter, and I think that Ford and NHTSA response is wrong and unfair to the consumer. Something needs to be done and this matter needs to be reopened.

- , Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Oct 152007

Excursion Limited V10

This happens more than Ford will acknowledge. It happened to my brother twice in two weeks. There was going to be a class action suit but the NHTSA said it was not a safety concern so there could be no suit. I spoke to a lawyer who instructed his clients to take Ford to small claims court and they all won. I have not had my truck repaired as of yet but will be making the arrangements today or tomorrow. I will speak to the local dealer and Ford customer service today. Hopefully I will not have to eat the cost of this repair myself. A dealer in a nearby town estimates the repair to be at least $5,000. Because of the need to disassemble the front of the vehicle to remove the motor. This is pure bullsh*t and I will be fighting this to the end.

- , Wyandotte, MI, USA