1.4

1998 Ford Expedition miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Expedition:

1998 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Oct 052005

Expedition 8-cyl

My wife was driving her 1998 Ford Expedition on the highway when her spare tire suddenly fell from beneath the vehicle and kicked up the rear end. Fortunately, she did not lose control, and the cars behind her were able to swerve around the loose tire without incident. Upon inspection, we found that the cable which supports the spare tire snapped off at the end. Our local Ford dealer says there is no recurrent problem, and that we can purchase a new spare tire carrier (just like the defective one) for $100. However, with a simple search online, I found numerous documented cases just like mine where the spare tire mechanism failed and loose tires have caused crashes and injuries. I do not think it is responsible to put these vehicles back on the road when the tire can fall out at any moment.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA