1998 Ford Expedition wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Expedition:

1998 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 222014

Consumer writes in regards to tire defect issues purchased at a retail store. The consumer stated he believed he purchased unsafe tires from a local retailer. A technician informed him, the tires were showing signs of premature wear.

- Bullock, NC, USA

Feb 202009

While driving on the highway on 02/20/2009 I experienced a blow out on the passengers right front tire. The speed was about 60 mph. I then experienced a second blowout 30 days later 03/20/2009 on the left rear drivers tire. Once again this was about 1.5 -2 hrs of highway driving. My whole family of 4 was in the SUV at the time. Now I don't feel safe with the other two tires.

- Aledo, TX, USA

Aug 162008

The contact owns a 1998 Ford Expedition. While driving approximately 65 mph, the contact heard a clunking noise underneath the vehicle. The rear driver's side tire detached from the vehicle. The contact veered to the other side of the road. There were no warnings prior to the failure. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and repaired. The failure and current mileages were 308,000.

- Glenwood, IL, USA

Jun 012008

On Sunday, June 1st 2008, I was traveling southbound on the highway 99 in my wife's 1998 Ford Expedition from fruitridge rd to florin rd. As I exited onto florin rd going westbound, I heard what sounded like plastic caught on the side. I pulled into the 76 gas station on florin road and East parkway to asses the damage. The valve stem on my nearly new Goodyear Eagle GT II 285/50-20 tire had torn. The horror is that I decided to take my wife's truck and leave my 2002 Ford Excursion at home that morning because it had my boat attached and I didn't want to move it. This incident could have resulted in extreme harm done to my wife and children. It cost me time and money to correct this problem.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 122004

While vehicle was parked rear passenger side tire blew out. Dealership was notified, but did not resolve the problem. Big-O, lt26570R17.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Dec 172002

Expedition 8-cyl

While driving at 80 mph, vehicle's left rear tire experienced a blow out. The dealer stated that the tire was defective and replaced the tire free of charge. A second tire was found to be defective. A metal belt was sticking out of the sidewall, which was the same place where the other tire failed. Scc

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 101999

Expedition 4WD

These are areas that have had an impact on other components of the vehicle such as tire wear, and brakes. My mechanic stated this is a recurring problem with Ford motor that should be addressed.

- Beaver Falls, PA, USA

Apr 082002

Vehicle would rock at any speed due to stabilizer bar bolts missing, and allowing bar to hang from vehicle. Mechanic had bolts replaced. This problem also caused tires to wear uneven.

- Hampton, NJ, USA

Oct 262001

While driving 30-35 mph and making left turn, vehicle felt like it was going to flip over. This happened again at 20 mph while turning right. Dealer towed vehicle and was checking vehicle at this time. Consumer stated the dealer replaced all the tires.

- Alta Dena, CA, USA

Jul 212001

Blow out problem similar to those reported for Firestone tires. Tread separation. 8/32 left on tire at time of failure. (dot number: M6T6 wdor tiresize: P265/70R17)

- Colonial Heights, VA, USA

Jul 132001

Expedition 4WD

This is a report about a near crash which was caused by a tire blowout. (dot number: ? tiresize: Rt/S)

- Glastonbury, CT, USA

Jun 012001

At 8:30 am on a cool morning, the tire suddenly exploded without any warning after only 3 miles on I-17, and a total of 16 miles from start up. The highway was dry and clean. I coasted to a stop without braking, or any steering problem. The outside side wall is completely seperated 3600from the tread. There are 25 radial splits in the sidewall, averaging 3" long, almost to the rim. The tread shows no damage. The inside sidewall has one damaged area near the tread. The tire was not hot. The other three tires appear to be ok, but so did this one prior to failure. I have photos, and will keep the tire for inspection. The tire was made in Canada. Please advise if you want the tire or photos. (tiresize: P255/70R16)( dot number: Tire size: P255/70R16 )

- Cottonwood, AZ, USA

Apr 292001

Expedition 4WD

While driving about 70 mph front left tire had a blowout. Goodyear, Wrangler, P-265/70R17. Consumer states tire was too blown apart to determine it there was a tread separation and feels that these original light truck tires should not be installed on a heavy SUV such as this.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Mar 232001

On interstate at 70mph vehicle became hard to control for about 2-3 miles. As we slowed down the tire blew out. Tire was smoking and shredded in several places. When returned home we tried to get medford Lincoln dealership in dothan, al to replace the tire. They stated it was a roadhazard and would sell us a tire for $135. We took the tire to a Goodyear dealership in dothan, al and thay stated they found a piece of plastic in the tire and said that was what made it shred and gave us a piece of plastic he said was lying in the tire. We took the vehicle back to medford and they said they saw the plastic the day before but never said anything about it to us. Was there really a piece of plastic in the tire and if so how did it get in the tire and why didn't medford Lincoln dealership in dothan, al mention it was in there, or was this just a cover up on there part? we noticed on a web site where there had been complaints about Goodyear Wrangler tires before. We just want the tire replaced and confidence that our other tires are safe. (tiresize: P255/70R16)( dot number: Tire size: P255/70R16 )

- Headland, AL, USA

Jun 161999

Expedition 4WD

Two front tires destroyed without impact to any object. (tiresize: P255/70516)( dot number: Tire size: P255/70516 )

- Hingham, MA, USA

Oct 202000

None( dot number: )

- Va Beach, VA, USA

Nov 072000

Windows- all power windows occassionally will not let up if down or down if up. Engine- when stopped, gives an intermitten vibration. Child locks- engages when unlock power locks. Turn signal- if steering wheel not straight, can't engage turn signal. Tires- making sound as if they will peel off at any moment. (tiresize: P255/70R16)( dot number: Tire size: P255/70R16 )

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 272000

Left, rear tire completely disentegrated while driving on interstate at 65 mph.( dot number: Tire size: P255/70rx1 )

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Jul 051999

Expedition 4WD

While driving our Expedition on the freeway at approximatly 55 miles per hour, over smooth dry road conditions suddenly the right rear tire exploded, I felt the truck lift up a little then we could hear the rim scraping on the road. I pulled over imediatly and could see that the tire looked as though it had disintegrated. After changing it with the spare tire I took it straight to the dealer where I had bought the truck, they told me I would have to call back later in the weak to talk to an representative so I called them back on Monday and they told me I must have hit something and thats what must have happend. I told them no I did not and that I am a carefull driver you see my wife and two children where also in the car with me at the time, besides I would have seen or heard the noise if I had hit something. They where very rude to me. Then I told my wife what they said and she was very upset with them ( korum Ford ) she called and complained and got very angry with them over the phone and they hung up on her, so we sent a letter to Ford Motor Co. I then took the tire to Goodyear and they at least treated me with some respect they said the tire could be sent out for independent study which if it showed no defect in the tire then I would have to pay full price or they could simply discount a new tire by 50% since it was a questionable cause. The Goodyear dealer told me in his opinion the tire Ford uses is too light for such a big truck, the Expedition falls just under the maximum weight limit for the tire and since it is a tall vehicle it leans a lot around corners putting a lot of stress on the tire.then I remembered that when the tire blew I had just come out of some S curves in the road. When the tire blew it also damaged the rim which is a $350 dollar rim and the cost of a new tire it was about $500 dollars!! a bit expencive for a blow out. But at least no one was hurt ! had I not been attentive to my driving we could have crashed into the fullsize van N

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Aug 102000

Expedition 4WD

Firestone wilderness/at, size P235/75R16, standard equipment on this truck were out of round, and wobbled. Tread also separated under hot weather conditions. Firestone was not contacted. Consumer replaced at own expense.

- San Antonio, TX, USA