1999 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Expedition:

1999 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 202009

Expedition

99 Ford Expedition blew out #3 spark plug and damaged coil, no forewarning of this, has 114,000miles, cost me $400 for a temp fix, ,was told this is a common problem with the 5.4 engine, garage installed a repair sleeve and special plug, ,no warranty, ,I was 800 miles from home, when the plug blew, I thought somebody took a shot at me...it also ruined the coil.

- Barnegat, NJ, USA

Mar 032009

Expedition

The contact owns a 1999 Ford Expedition. After the vehicle had been shut off for approximately 15 minutes, it caught fire. The fire department arrived and stated that the fire originated from the front driver's side of the vehicle, underneath the engine. A report was filed. The windshield and windows were all cracked and damaged due to the high flames. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact believes that the vehicle should have been recalled and she should have been notified of any defects. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were over 200,000.

- Bumas, TX, USA

Dec 222008

Expedition 8-cyl

While driving at 60 mph, the farthest rear spark plug on the driver's side of the Ford Triton V8 engine ejected from the head.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Oct 292008

Expedition

Driving home from doctor visit, heard a loud pop, and lost power, very loud engine noise as if I had no exhaust. Mechanic looked at it apparently the engine blew out a spark plug making it necessary to replace the cylinder head since it stepped the treads. And also broke the coil. Am on disability and fixed income, the repair cost is so high I have to wait and be without a car. Do not know what to do. The mechanic told me it is a common problem with this vehicle and Ford. And I researched the web and found out that many others experienced the same thing. Furthermore when going to Ford for repair, they say that the new head is a improved version. So if it is an "improved" version that mean that they know that there is a problem with the product to begin with. Ford should replace the faulty heads at no cost to vehicle owner.

- Coos Bay, OR, USA

May 062008

Expedition 8-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Ford Expedition. While driving 55 mph, the contact heard a loud noise coming from the engine. He managed to get control of the vehicle and pulled over. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic and they replaced a healy coil. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred two months later while driving at the same speed. A state trooper stopped to assist. The vehicle was once again towed to the mechanic and they performed the same repair. Less than a month later, the failure recurred again. The vehicle is currently at the contact's residence with a blown spark plug. The failure mileage was 100,000 and current mileage was 106,000. Updated 09/23/08. The consumer stated 3 sparks plugs had blown out from the engine. Updated 09/24/08. 8jb

- Horseshoe Bend, ID, USA

Jul 182008

Expedition

I own a 1999 Ford Expedition and my family has experienced (3) blown spark plugs! the Triton engines Ford makes have aluminum heads and spark plugs are blowing out. On May 6, 2008 was my first experience (cost $273.03) replaced helie coil. July 18th 2nd blowout with 3 young children late at night. Police officer has had 2 blown spark plugs on his Ford! (cost $1,502.02) had to remove head. #3 blowout last night pulling into my driveway with family on board. I will not take this vehicle anywhere again as these explosions can cause a car fire and I will not risk that or being stranded in remote camping area. I have wrote a letter to Ford board of directors- called Ford directly and at this time there is "no customer satisfaction programs" according to "amy" my case girl. Google "Ford Triton engine blown spark plugs" and you will see the many consumers frustrated and experiencing this. If my car catches fire and my family is injured or killed I will hold you and Ford personally liable as this is my written notification of this defect. There needs to be a recall and it needs to happen now!

- Horsehsoe Bend, ID, USA

Aug 202003

Expedition

97 to 99 5.4 Ford like to blow plugs out of the cast aluminum cylinder heads. They doubled the threads in 2000. It occurred to my 99 Expedition, out of warranty don't expectancy help from Ford maybe your dealer. My Expedition was 4 years old, at the time. Best advice buy GM forget about Ford unless you own a tow truck.

- Northville, MI, USA

Jun 212008

Expedition

My wife was driving to Colorado springs on hwy 24. She pulled away from a stoplight when she heard a loud slapping noise. She was able to get to the side of the road safely, despite heavy traffic. We had the Ford Expedition towed to the dealer we bought it from. They have called me to tell me the number 7 spark plug blew out of he block ruining the threads that hold it, in addition the coil pack was ruined. I have a warranty on this vehicle (it was bought used), the service manager is telling me they will not cover this under the warranty because it is a "maintenance issue". I informed him that I will not pay for this repair and he said he would call Ford to see what they are doing, lol. If my wife had been traveling at hwy speeds she could have crashed and the possibility of a fire was real because of the fact fuel was coming out of the spark plug hole and the coil pack was still firing. Something must be done.

- Peyton, CO, USA

May 222008

Expedition 8-cyl

Attn: I apologize first submission was incorrect phone number: This contains proper contact phone number 1999 Ford Expedition #3 spark plug blowout.

- Aurora, CO, USA

May 222008

Expedition 8-cyl

1999 Ford Expedition #3 spark plug blowout.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Apr 062008

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Ford Expedition - spark plug was ejected from cylinder.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Oct 132007

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Ford Expedition. The failure occurred in October 2007 and the again on March 21, 2008. The spark plug came out of the engine while driving 25 mph. He found the spark plug sitting on top of the engine. The service engine soon light was not illuminated until the following day after the failure occurred. The mechanic stated that your number three spark plug blew out the engine block. He also stated that if he were driving faster than 25 mph the spark plug would have gone through the hood and then the windshield. The manufacturer stated that the failure was not covered by the warranty and they are unable to assist him with the repair. The estimated cost to repair the vehicle was $3,000 to $7,000. The contact also filed a complaint with the consumer protection Agency and was not given a case number to reference. The vehicle was serviced on a regular basis. There are invoices available to show each time the vehicle was serviced and diagnosed. The failure mileage was 11622 and the current mileage was 13000.

- Riverdale , GA, USA

Jul 172007

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The #3 spark plug blew completely out of my 1999 Ford Expedition, Ford refuses to repair it saying that it must have been the result of some sort of abuse of the vehicle. After seeing thousands of these type of complaints from this particular engine class, it is reasonable to conclude that this is a serious design flaw, if the fuel rail had been compromised, the end result certainly would have resulted in a fire. I think that you should require Ford to either repair the affected defective engines, or compensate the owners for their repairs...

- Sandy, UT, USA

Jan 192008

Expedition 8-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Ford Expedition. While driving 65 mph, the contact heard a loud popping sound under the hood. The vehicle decelerated to 0 and would not accelerate. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The dealer stated that the spark plug popped out and stripped the engine head. One of the engine heads has to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were 70,306. Updated 02/15/08.

- Burlingame, CA, USA

Dec 132007

Expedition 8-cyl

1999 Ford Expedition 5.4 motor blew spark plug on passenger side-rear plug.

- Olney, IL, USA

Dec 052007

Expedition 8-cyl

I own a 1999 Ford Expedition. Yesterday, my fiance and kids were on their way to school when the engine failed. Upon inspection, we found that the engine had ejected the #3 spark plug on the passenger side. This caused the coil pack to "shatter" as well as the plug cable attached to it. I've done extensive searching on the subject, and there have been incidents reported of fires caused by these plug ejections. Also, hundreds of consumers have been stuck with repair costs of several thousand dollars. This is a common problem and should be addressed as a recall. Lives are at risk.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Oct 152005

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Ford Expedition. In 2005, while driving 55 mph, the contact heard a popping sound and stopped the vehicle. He noticed that the spark plug had come through the engine. A month later, the failure recurred. The purchase and incident dates were unknown. The current mileage is 130,000 and failure mileage was 90,000.

- Elkhorn, WI, USA

Jun 152007

Expedition 8-cyl

Dear sirs, I own a 1999 Ford Expedition, the engine seemed to be have operated fine until the # 3 spark plug blew completely out of the cylinder head. If the plug and the destroyed coil would have ruptured the fuel rail the vehicle would have gone up in flames. I hope that something can be done on the part of Ford to repair this unbelievingly, amazing, and very common safety problem Ford was brushing under the rug. The vehicle was past the waranty period so that won't be of any help, but this problem was incredibly dangerous

- Sandy, UT, USA

Feb 232007

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

5.4 Triton engine spark plug blown at 77,000 miles on my 1999 Ford Expedition.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Jun 012006

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

1999 Ford Expedition bought brand new at serramonte Ford in colma ca. Serviced in strict accordance every 5000 miles per Ford owner manual and at the same Ford dealership exclusively. Lost engine, timing chain at 55,000 miles, lost transmission at 130000 miles.

- Pacifica, CA, USA