9.2

$1,220.00

1. replaced spark plug and coil (6 reports)
  2. installed heli-coil, replaced all plugs & timing chain brakt (3 reports)
  3. spark plug thread repaired, removed intake manifold (2 reports)
1999 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Expedition:

1999 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Feb 212014

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L Triton

THE FORD COMPANY SHOULD RECALL THESE ENGINES AND FIX THIS PROBLEM!!! This is an inconvenience and a VERY expensive problem to fix, and we should NOT have to have this happen!! SP RECALL THE ENGINE FORD!!! You have some VERY angry customers and ones who WILL NEVER buy another FORD AGAIN!!!!

- , Corvallis, MT, USA

Nov 172013

Expedition 5.4L

I bought my truck in August, 2013. This is the 2nd time a spark plug blew! This sucks! With all the complaints out there about this problem, Ford really needs to do a recall. My truck is at the shop now, not sure how much they will suck out of me.

- , Carneys Point, NJ, USA

Feb 272013

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

Second TIME SAME CYLINDER NO COMPENSATION 3600.00 for NEW CYLINDER HEAD! NO CHOICE -but to PAY and complain right HERE! However, there is power in numbers - so IF THIS HAPPENED TO YOU PLEASE sign in - and COMPLAIN !

- , Renton, Washington, USA

Apr 172009

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

the cost of this fix should have been around 700.00 (or under) for a HELICOIL - they (FORD DEALERSHIP) did the "while we are in there" approach and charged for everything - without asking - just "we have to" 1973.86 (almost triple)

Now 3-1/2 years later the same cylinder (I'm guessing #3) blows the spark plug - stripping the threads again - and I am responsible for the repair (3600.00 +tax) ABOUT $4000.00 for a new cylinder head and "while we are in there" Please post yours also so we get SOMETHING out of this - Thanks

- , Renton, Washington, USA

Jan 172012

Expedition Eddie Bauer V8

OK - in two weeks, I have had this car throw two different spark plugs. Plugs are original - engine has never been tuned.

- , Great Falls, VA, USA

Jan 052012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

I have a 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition, While driving with my wife, all of sudden I heard this loud pop sound came from the engine, followed by loud rat-tat-tat

sound. got so scared i immediately pulled over, investigate what happen i notice the spark cable was hanging and split in 3 pieces and the spark plug was just sitting on top of the engine, it was very upsetting because i never heard such a thing, i had it towed to local Ford dealer and the service manager told me that this a common problem on Ford, that the spark plug will blow out, due to ford's poor engine design. While ford is blaming

the dealership technician from over torquing of the new plugs, the dealership on the other hand i s blaming Ford Company for their poor engine design, for the mean time we are the one who got stock paying for this outrageous charges. This repair had cost me $2644.53, i know others pay way more than this. Ford Company should realized that this problem is due to engine poor design, with so many complaint documented all over the Nation, Ford company should stop blaming others, and the Federal Government should step up to help the consumer resolved this problem, because this could be an emission problem.

- , Lakewood, WA, USA

Sep 242011

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Once again I have had another spark plug ejected from my cylinder head. I am furious that Ford knows they have a problem, but because of the expense involved in replacing both heads they choose to let consumers bear the burden of their poor design. This is unconscionable situation and a telling position which shows how committed Ford is to their customers.

- , Randle, WA, USA

Dec 202010

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

this problem happened without apparent warning. about 6 months prior, the "check engine" light came on, with emissions codes. just sayin'.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 282011

Expedition 5.4L V8

spark plug blew out, sheared off the coil on top of it. spark plug repair kit would have been easy to use if the spark plug hole wasn't so dang deep. hard to get tools in there

- , Orem, UT, USA

Aug 182010

Expedition Eddie 5.4L

on trip from Dallas to Kentucky the engine blew #7 spark plug out while my daughter was driving, freaking her out.

The dealer also found that the number 5 spark plug was leaking and ready to blow.

Dealer inserted heil coils and replaced the #5 & 8 plugs along with the coils.

The is the third time this year that spark plugs have been blown out of the engine.

Jun 092010

Expedition Eddie 5.4L

College daughter borrowed the truck for a 200 mile trip. The Spark plug left her stranded late night in an unknown area of town.

This is the second time the number 8 spark plug has been blown out of the engine.

Apr 202010

Expedition Eddie 5.4L

This engine has some miles on it but this sure is a strange occurrance. The # 8 spark plug was blown out of its socket, damaging the coil.