9.1

1. recall the engine! it's not safe! (9 reports)
  2. replaced spark plug and coil (8 reports)
  3. installed heli-coil, replaced all plugs & timing chain brakt (3 reports)
  4. fix kit from napa auto parts (2 reports)
1999 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Expedition:

1999 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 212014

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L Triton

THE FORD COMPANY SHOULD RECALL THESE ENGINES AND FIX THIS PROBLEM!!! This is an inconvenience and a VERY expensive problem to fix, and we should NOT have to have this happen!! SP RECALL THE ENGINE FORD!!! You have some VERY angry customers and ones who WILL NEVER buy another FORD AGAIN!!!!

- , Corvallis, MT, USA

Nov 172013

Expedition 5.4L

I bought my truck in August, 2013. This is the 2nd time a spark plug blew! This sucks! With all the complaints out there about this problem, Ford really needs to do a recall. My truck is at the shop now, not sure how much they will suck out of me.

- , Carneys Point, NJ, USA

Feb 272013

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

Second TIME SAME CYLINDER NO COMPENSATION 3600.00 for NEW CYLINDER HEAD! NO CHOICE -but to PAY and complain right HERE! However, there is power in numbers - so IF THIS HAPPENED TO YOU PLEASE sign in - and COMPLAIN !

- , Renton, Washington, USA

Apr 172009

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

the cost of this fix should have been around 700.00 (or under) for a HELICOIL - they (FORD DEALERSHIP) did the "while we are in there" approach and charged for everything - without asking - just "we have to" 1973.86 (almost triple)

Now 3-1/2 years later the same cylinder (I'm guessing #3) blows the spark plug - stripping the threads again - and I am responsible for the repair (3600.00 +tax) ABOUT $4000.00 for a new cylinder head and "while we are in there" Please post yours also so we get SOMETHING out of this - Thanks

- , Renton, Washington, USA

Mar 202013

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5 . 4

so i buy this used ford and two spark plugs blow out on me its a 1999 ford expedition and i want this recalled and for me to be reimbursed for the problem.

- , Prescott, AZ, USA

Sep 012012

Expedition Leather 5.4L

Ford should be ashamed to know of this issue and to do nothing about it!

- , Greeneville, TN, USA

Feb 192012

Expedition 5.4L V8

Had car in dealership exactly four months ago- had it in for a crank case problem / transmission slipping. $1,800.00 later, (and when truck was returned to us) engine was running very rough. Not even out of the dealers driveway, we returned the truck because the engine light turned on (this light has never come on since we bought the truck). Dealer diagnosed the problem as #3 spark plug defective and wanted $300.00 more to repair. We paid half after extensive arguing. Spark plug was repaired- engine light still on because dealer claimed engine needed tune up. Drove until four months when spark plug blew out of engine while on highway. When on side of road and hood open, started engine and fireball shot out of front right side of engine (where spark plug was coil was supposed to be). Shut engine off, paid $250.00 for towing. Never moved car since.....

- , Bridgeport, CT, USA

Jan 172012

Expedition Eddie Bauer V8

OK - in two weeks, I have had this car throw two different spark plugs. Plugs are original - engine has never been tuned.

- , Great Falls, VA, USA

Jan 092012

Expedition Eddie Bauer V8

Horribly disappointed - thought Ford engines were great.

- , Great Falls, VA, USA

Jan 052012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

I have a 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition, While driving with my wife, all of sudden I heard this loud pop sound came from the engine, followed by loud rat-tat-tat

sound. got so scared i immediately pulled over, investigate what happen i notice the spark cable was hanging and split in 3 pieces and the spark plug was just sitting on top of the engine, it was very upsetting because i never heard such a thing, i had it towed to local Ford dealer and the service manager told me that this a common problem on Ford, that the spark plug will blow out, due to ford's poor engine design. While ford is blaming

the dealership technician from over torquing of the new plugs, the dealership on the other hand i s blaming Ford Company for their poor engine design, for the mean time we are the one who got stock paying for this outrageous charges. This repair had cost me $2644.53, i know others pay way more than this. Ford Company should realized that this problem is due to engine poor design, with so many complaint documented all over the Nation, Ford company should stop blaming others, and the Federal Government should step up to help the consumer resolved this problem, because this could be an emission problem.

- , Lakewood, WA, USA

Sep 242011

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Once again I have had another spark plug ejected from my cylinder head. I am furious that Ford knows they have a problem, but because of the expense involved in replacing both heads they choose to let consumers bear the burden of their poor design. This is unconscionable situation and a telling position which shows how committed Ford is to their customers.

- , Randle, WA, USA

Aug 282011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

This was the first I'd heard of this problem. Decided to try and trade it in and another plug blew out. It's in the shop again! This time I'm selling it fast on Craigslist!

- , Blacklick, OH, USA

Oct 072011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

2nd plug to blow out of this engine.

Ford needs to do something about these known issues and stop sitting on their hands!

- , Blacklick, OH, USA

Jun 282011

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

On our way from Virginia to Washington my family experienced a spark plug blow out. We were able to have it fixed at a Ford Dealership in Little Rock, but it put us $500 and 2 days behind schedule (plus the cost of food and hotel rooms). The service rep at Ford was able to tell what the problem was immediately after I told him what vehicle I was driving. This is so common that there are companies making a fortune selling repair kits to fix Ford's screw up.

Ford can make all of the excuses they want, but it still their responsibility to produce a safe vehicle and they have let their customers down. This vehicle will end any further relationship with Ford by any member in my family.

- , Randle, WA, USA

May 232011

Expedition 5.4L V8

i started my 99 ford expedition this morning to a loud BOOM followed by what sounded like a helicopter flying under the hood of my engine!!! then noticed grey ish smoke coming out from under the hood !! after inspecting the engine i discovered that the second from the rear passenger side spark plug had blown out of the engine and was hanging by the coil wires. after contacting some local southern california mechanics i found out that this is a major issue and VERY common problem. i decided to look online to see if i could possibly fix this problem my self to save the $500 ( per spark plug/cylinder ) only to find out that this a MAJOR problem in the design by ford motor co......now in hind sight i can say that i did hear a sound coming from the engine prior to this disaster, i took the sound to be an exhaust leak coming from the passenger side. well i was wrong!! i found out that it was a spark plug on its way to play POP goes the weasel......but all jokes aside, im just a working family man with little money for repairs such as this. i keep up on my vehicles and never neglect servicing them.... but this is a serious and dangerous issue that can be harm full and potentially deadly.if something were to have happen to my family due to the negligence of an obvious manufacturing defect such as this, i dont know what i would do!!! .............

as it is i would consider hanging out at my local ford dealership reving up my engine in front of the showroom floor with my plug dangling by wires and sounding like a harley davidson is doing doughnuts under my hood.........bunch of crap!! ive emailed DONALD RICKETTS ( a lawer in southern cal who started a suit ) about this as well.

- , Victorville, CA, USA

Feb 012011

Expedition 4x4 5.4L Tritan

I was on a long trip with my family about 110 miles from home when the spark plug in my #2 cylinder blew out scared the sh*t out of me. i limped it home and went to napa auto parts and they had a kit just for this problem. it cost $75.00 bucks. its an adapter that cuts its own threads down the spark plug hole without getting any shavings in the cylinder you leave it there it comes with an extra long spark plug that threads in to the adapter and a shorter plug wire. permanent fix works great

- , Camp Verde, AZ, USA

Dec 202010

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

this problem happened without apparent warning. about 6 months prior, the "check engine" light came on, with emissions codes. just sayin'.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 282011

Expedition 5.4L V8

spark plug blew out, sheared off the coil on top of it. spark plug repair kit would have been easy to use if the spark plug hole wasn't so dang deep. hard to get tools in there

- , Orem, UT, USA

Aug 182010

Expedition Eddie 5.4L

on trip from Dallas to Kentucky the engine blew #7 spark plug out while my daughter was driving, freaking her out.

The dealer also found that the number 5 spark plug was leaking and ready to blow.

Dealer inserted heil coils and replaced the #5 & 8 plugs along with the coils.

The is the third time this year that spark plugs have been blown out of the engine.

- , Grapevine, TX, USA

Jun 092010

Expedition Eddie 5.4L

College daughter borrowed the truck for a 200 mile trip. The Spark plug left her stranded late night in an unknown area of town.

This is the second time the number 8 spark plug has been blown out of the engine.

- , Grapevine, TX, USA