8.7

1. recall the engine! it's not safe! (13 reports)
  2. replaced spark plug and coil (10 reports)
  3. installed heli-coil, replaced all plugs & timing chain brakt (4 reports)
  5. fix kit from napa auto parts (2 reports)
  6. heads rebuild with new ss threads (1 reports)
1999 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Expedition:

1999 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 202013

Expedition Eddie Bower 5.4L

THIS TIME THE VEHICLE HAD TO BE TOWED AGAIN AND THAT IS NOT CHEAP, THREE COIL PACKS AND SPARK PLUGS ALONG WITH A MECHANIC BILL, THIS ISSUE NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED FROM FORD, FORD HAS COST CONSUMERS MORE MONEY THEN JUST A NORMAL TUNE UP. THIS IS AN EXPENSE THAT FORD SHOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR AS A MANUFACTURE IN THE AUTO INDUSTRY, THESE VEHICLES SHOULD HAVE CAME WITH A WARNING THAT THE ISSUE EXISTED AND WILL CONTINUE FOR THE LIFE OF THE AUTOMOBILE, I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANOTHER FORD AS A RESULT OF THIS ISSUE.

Dec 052007

Expedition Eddie Bower 5.4L

DURING THIS EVENT FOR THE THIRD TIME I WAS ON MY WAY HOME FROM TOWN ABOUT 15 MILES AWAY FROM MY HOUSE WHEN TWO MORE PLUGS BLEW OUT THIS TIME THE PRESURE FROM THE PLUG BLOWING OUT BROKE THE COIL PACK AND NEEDED REPAIRED WITH OTHER PARTS, THE FORD DEALERSHIP SAID IT WAS AWARE OF THE ISSUE BUT OFFERED NO FIX.

Dec 222006

Expedition Eddie Bower 5.4L

ON 12/22/2006 WHILE DRIVING BACK HOME FROM RENO NEVADA THE ENGINE MADE AN AWFULL NOISE AND HAD NO POWER 55 MILES AWAY FROM ANY HELP, THE EXPEDITION HAD TO BE TOWED TO THE NEAREST TOWN. IT WOULDNT HAVE BEEN SUCH A BIG ISSUE OTHER THEN THE FACT THAT IT WAS -15 DEGREES OUTSIDE, WE HAD OUR FRIENDS WITH US WHOM ALSO HAD A 18 MONTH OLD BABY WITH HELP BEING OVER TWO HOURS AWAY GIVEN WHAT TIME OF NIGHT IT WAS 11:30 PM THIS WAS AN EMERGENCY SITUATION, A HWY PATROL OFFICER PULLED IN BEHIND US AND AND LEFT US WITH A BLANKET AND CALLED FOR THE TOWING COMPANY TO MAKE SURE HELP WAS ON IT'S WAY. WE ALL MADE IT HOME SAFE BUT THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE, IT SHOULDN'T HAVE NEVER TAKEN PLACE TO BEGIN WITH.

Apr 142007

Expedition Eddie Bower 5.4L

THIS WAS THE SECOND PLUG THAT HAD JUST BLOWN OUT OF THE ENGINE LUCKY FOR US WE WERE NEAR HOME WHEN IT HAPPENED AGAIN.

Feb 012015

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

This is the first time the spark plug blew out but the 4th time the coil has gone bad. So far between the other 3 coils and this blow out, I have spent over $3,600 dollars on repairs that FORD should have recalled and repaired on all these Tritian engines. It's not like this has been isolated instances nor is it only happening on Expeditions. Not only is is costly it scares it could give someone a heart attack with the explosion of a spark plug blowing out of your engine and could catch fire and by what I have read the Heliacoil seal may not be the end of the fix. Ford needs to step up and take responsibility for their vehicles after all Ford trucks are rated number one in their class and Ford should stand behind their products and stop trying to blame consumers for torching the plug too tight. Ford does my tune ups so if they put the plus in too tight they are to blame. So I have had 4 repaired and have another 4 more to blow before that is the possible end of this issue.

Step up Ford and take responsibility for your problems! This certainly will effect my decision to buy another Ford Truck. Might have to go to GMC.

- , Severn, MD, USA

Jan 052014

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L Triton

This is the 2nd time this has happened in this vehicle. The 1st time for this used engine that I replaced. After sitting with a blown engine for 3 years, I had to replace the engine back in November 2013. It blew this plug after Christmas with even very limited snow driving only.

I haven't had the money yet to fix it this time. This obviously should have been recalled a long, long time ago. This is by far the worst engine in a vehicle that I have ever had the misfortune of owning.

- , Bates City, MO, USA

Dec 272014

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

My daughter was driving our 1999 Ford Expedition when it started making a loud noise (sounded awful) and she had to pull over on the freeway. I drove over to help her and discovered it had blown out a spark plug. Never head of such a thing until I read all of the problems reported on this site. This will likely be a very expensive repair for an older vehicle in otherwise good shape. Very disappointed in Ford for not recalling to cover this problem. My last Ford.

- , Wodinville, WA, USA

Aug 012014

Expedition Eddie Bauer V8

This is a terrible design by Ford. I've had 3 blow out and now one can not be fixed with a heli-coil, so now I'm going to have to spend 50% of vehicles value to fix a problem that Ford should fix. We need a recall for the faulty installation of spark plugs in 1999 Ford Expeditions.

- , Elgin, IL, USA

Sep 012014

Expedition 5.4L Triton

This is first complaint ... of many to come. A fire resulted. Burning myself to save the truck after spark plug ejected. Bought the replacement plugs with self tapping thread sheath... they blew out... Bought the helicoils.. they blew out... tried high temp repair putty. Worked for 1 day.. total cost in lost work , repairs, time and pain...I'm a Ford guy... My 87 daily driver I expect to work on.. I don't expect to have to have someone follow me picking up spark plugs and carrying a fire extinguisher. Recall this engineering paper weight.

- , Sparta, NJ, USA

Jul 152014

Expedition 5.4L

I have had my coil packs changed 3 times All of them are different. I know what is going to happen when the ford starts idling rough, so I take it to a garage and have it put on a monitor and yeap it is another coil pack. The different garages I have been to know this is a popular thing that happens to these fords, I have been traveling 2 times when this has happened so, it is different garages that are telling me the same problem. One coil pack my son put in and even the parts person in the auto store this is a known problem. Ford should recall and fix the problem because everyone in this field seems to know the problem.

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Jul 182014

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

Well, lets start with that I love my 1999 Expedition 4x4. That being said, one day after almost perfect reliability for over 80k miles, it blew a spark plug out of the socket. I had maintained the truck at a local mechanic. It would be hard to pay dealer prices on an old Ford all the time.

- , Longmont, CO, USA

Feb 212014

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L Triton

THE FORD COMPANY SHOULD RECALL THESE ENGINES AND FIX THIS PROBLEM!!! This is an inconvenience and a VERY expensive problem to fix, and we should NOT have to have this happen!! SP RECALL THE ENGINE FORD!!! You have some VERY angry customers and ones who WILL NEVER buy another FORD AGAIN!!!!

- , Corvallis, MT, USA

Nov 172013

Expedition 5.4L

I bought my truck in August, 2013. This is the 2nd time a spark plug blew! This sucks! With all the complaints out there about this problem, Ford really needs to do a recall. My truck is at the shop now, not sure how much they will suck out of me.

- , Carneys Point, NJ, USA

Feb 272013

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

Second TIME SAME CYLINDER NO COMPENSATION 3600.00 for NEW CYLINDER HEAD! NO CHOICE -but to PAY and complain right HERE! However, there is power in numbers - so IF THIS HAPPENED TO YOU PLEASE sign in - and COMPLAIN !

- , Renton, WA, USA

Apr 172009

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

the cost of this fix should have been around 700.00 (or under) for a HELICOIL - they (FORD DEALERSHIP) did the "while we are in there" approach and charged for everything - without asking - just "we have to" 1973.86 (almost triple)

Now 3-1/2 years later the same cylinder (I'm guessing #3) blows the spark plug - stripping the threads again - and I am responsible for the repair (3600.00 +tax) ABOUT $4000.00 for a new cylinder head and "while we are in there" Please post yours also so we get SOMETHING out of this - Thanks

- , Renton, WA, USA

Mar 202013

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5 . 4

so i buy this used ford and two spark plugs blow out on me its a 1999 ford expedition and i want this recalled and for me to be reimbursed for the problem.

- , Prescott, AZ, USA

Sep 012012

Expedition Leather 5.4L

Ford should be ashamed to know of this issue and to do nothing about it!

- , Greeneville, TN, USA

Feb 192012

Expedition 5.4L V8

Had car in dealership exactly four months ago- had it in for a crank case problem / transmission slipping. $1,800.00 later, (and when truck was returned to us) engine was running very rough. Not even out of the dealers driveway, we returned the truck because the engine light turned on (this light has never come on since we bought the truck). Dealer diagnosed the problem as #3 spark plug defective and wanted $300.00 more to repair. We paid half after extensive arguing. Spark plug was repaired- engine light still on because dealer claimed engine needed tune up. Drove until four months when spark plug blew out of engine while on highway. When on side of road and hood open, started engine and fireball shot out of front right side of engine (where spark plug was coil was supposed to be). Shut engine off, paid $250.00 for towing. Never moved car since.....

- , Bridgeport, CT, USA

Jan 172012

Expedition Eddie Bauer V8

OK - in two weeks, I have had this car throw two different spark plugs. Plugs are original - engine has never been tuned.

- , Great Falls, VA, USA

Jan 092012

Expedition Eddie Bauer V8

Horribly disappointed - thought Ford engines were great.

- , Great Falls, VA, USA