9.3

$2,750.00

1. total replacement with 2nd factory re-finished transmisssion (2 reports)
1999 Ford Expedition transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Expedition:

1999 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

May 292012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Just had a transmission flush as was recommended by mechanic who informed me that my transmission fluid was "really nasty" & needed to be changed ASAP.

Had the flush & had a mechanic add some 'Luas Tranny Fix' into the tranny as well.

Started to notice some hard shifting. Especially hesitation & some shaking when vehicle hit 1500 RPM to 2000 RPM, noticed mostly at these speeds. Check engine light came on today... Dreading a complete transmission failure. Anyone else ave a problem like this??

- , Lawrence, MA, USA

Feb 102011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

Apparently this is a common failure at or around this mileage with this particular Transmission. So I've heard anyway. My father's E-250 with the same engine/transmission combo failed at the same mileage.

- , Blacklick, OH, USA

Jul 012011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

This truck has been meticulously maintained by me for all but 36,000 miles of it's life. I am the truck's 2nd owner and have only towed a dirt bike behind it on a few occasions. Purchased from Showcase Pontiac GMC on Camelback road in Phoenix.

The first transmission failure happened at 63,000 miles. The warranty purchased with the truck was just 80 and that's EIGHTY miles passed warranty. I had been bringing the truck to Mel Clayton Ford also on Camelback Rd in Phoenix for all of it's required service. Their service department was great and stepped up to get me a replacement factory rebuilt transmission installed for a total cost of $280.00 (TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY DOLLARS TOTAL)

My most recent transmission failure occurred this weekend (July 1st 2011) at the tender age of 131,000 miles. Now doing the math this transmission has only 68,000 miles on it. FORD HAS A MAJOR QUALITY ISSUE TO ADDRESS HERE.

I had the truck towed to Ken Grody Ford in Buena Park, CA near where I broke down. The service technician at this dealership is quoting me a replacement cost of $3,800.00 with the coolant pump and all labor. I think I'm getting screwed here and this is only the first of many complaints I'll be making public about my Ford.

Good luck to any of you who have had or will have similar problems with your Ford.

- , Orange, CA, USA