8.2

1. tap out the hole and insert heli coil (13 reports)
  3. run thread chaser and intall spark plug with lock tight (3 reports)
  4. clean and replace coil and spark plug (2 reports)
  5. replaced spark plugs (1 reports)
2000 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Expedition:

2000 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 072013

Expedition XLT 5.4L

This is some piss poor engineering. The spark plug buried 6" below the surface and poor material choice. When I tapped the aluminum, I used cutting paste. The aluminum just came off in small chips instead of nice slivers. A clue that some cheap beer cans were melted down. Installed helicoil and hoping the other 7 don't blow out.

- , Grayson, KY, USA

Jun 012012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

I limped it to shop immediately. After replaced plug with helicoil, has held for one year.

- , Lancaster, OH, USA

Jan 232013

Expedition Eddie Bauer V8

On major bypass around city and plug blew. Had to drive a ways to get out of traffic. Fumes were terrible. Luckily we found a shop close by that could repair it immediately. Said he knew exactly what happened because it happens all the time to the expeditions. Told him it was the second time. He said it would happen again. Terrible flaw in Ford design. They should recall them.

- , Morganton, GA, USA

May 262012

Expedition XLT Triton V8

Camping trip 200 miles away in the middle of nowhere with 3 kids - BLAM! bang, bang, bang, bang....What the? Thank goodness for AAA.

Come to find out, it was plug #3 that had blown out. Luckily, it didn't ruin anything on it's way.

Called Ford. They are aware of the problem. The block is aluminum, the plug is steel. The hard steel rattling in the soft aluminum wears the hole until...well...go back and re-read sentence #1. Ford's solution for after the fact is to helicoil, which, depending on which plug it is should cost about 300-500 per pop.

We have blown 2 additional plugs since, and the last one did some damage. The mechanic (who is awesome) believes it's the intake valve but would have to take the motor out to determine that and we just don't feel it's worth that kind of money anymore. It's now fine around town, but we do not trust this beast to go long distances anymore.

We have a few friends that work at Ford in quality. Both of them have looked up the problem and taken it as high as they can in their food chain. Ford knew about the problem, but never recalled the engine because so far, it has not been life threatening. They created the helicoil kit for mechanics as a fix to the problem (at around $800 for each kit, btw.) Their "solution" for preventing this is to super glue the plugs in before they blow. Stunningly genius.

Our beast was the best ride we've had until this happened. We took her everywhere, packed her with 5 kids, dogs, used her as a camper (almost a queen size bed in the back!), towed trailers, boats, uhauls, took her across country (a few times), took her 2-tracking a TON of times - and never had a problem with anything even when we neglected her and forgot to change the oil for a few thousand extra miles. Once the first plug blew though, it wasn't long before the next 2 blew (about every 4 months or so) and it's got that telltale rattle that says we're about to lose another one any time soon.

She was an awesome beast while she lasted. Ford's recall policy sucks.

- , FARMINGTON HILLS, Michigan, USA

Jun 132012

Expedition XLT 5.4L

ford 1997 to 2003 4.7 and 5.4 triton motors know for blowing spark plugs. bad motor -that's not the worst problem wait for head gasket to blow. min to fix $3000.00 at dealer

- , Columbus, Ohio, USA

Sep 232011

Expedition Limited 5.4L

I have this problem the first time and bought the Expedition a year a go. I was driving normal 45mph and all the sudden a loud bang and clatter for the rest of the luckily only 5 miles to my home more likely rolling home then driving. Since I have the car 2 more major problems appeared. So I`m hoping I come out of this cheap, if not this will be my last Ford I buy in the future. I will look for something more dependable. The plug rear driver side blew and I have to find out tomorrow what that will cost me. Just hoping if I can do it myself not over $50,00 if it goes in the hundreds I will say bye, bye Ford forever.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

May 222011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

Ford Expedition has always been my favorite suv. I purchased a 2000 expedition 5 yrs ago. i kept it 3 yrs then it got totaled in an accident. that one never gave me any problems outside of the normal repairs. 2 months ago i purchased a 2000 XLT model with 182,000 miles on it. Hell i only paid $2,000.00 for it, so i went ahead and bought it, since i've never had major problems with my other one. two days ago i got in my truck to go to work, turned the key heard a loud pop, then loud knocking. Had it checked the spark plug blew out, broke the coil. So i went online and did some looking, this truck as major problems in that area. these trucks have blown the engine and caught fire.i'm afraid to drive my truck now. I'm fixing my truck and selling it. BOSSLADY0910@ATT.NET. contact me by e-mail if your interested in buying it. I'm buying me a Mercedes!!!!

- , New Iberia, LA, USA

Feb 012011

Expedition XL 5.4L V8

2 times in less than 6 mths!!!! Come on.... : ( PLEASE READ MY OTHER COMPLAINT ON SUSPENSION PROBLEM!! The Expo is a junker.......

- , Dalton, GA, USA

Dec 012010

Expedition 5.4L

On a road trip I heard a loud pop and lost compression 80 miles outside of my destination it start sputtering & knocking. I got it to the repair shop they told me they may be able to rethread it or I can replace the engine for the second time. They were ablr to fix it but it still misses and all spark plugs have been replaced. So cant wait to sell this truck unfortunately I have two of these.

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Nov 132010

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

Car was driving just fne, outside of other issue, A/C no longer works, Radio does nto disaply, CD changer stopped working, but I could live with those as I use the car to get fromn point a to point b. The car started just fine, I was at a light, when suddenly the engine sounded like it was baout to cut off. I had no power, I had no idea what was going on. I took it Mon to my mechanic. He informed me that I had a blown out spark plug, and the header could have been damaged. He could not tell until he removed it. The initial repair costs would have been in the 900 range, but if the header was damaged, a 2300-3000 was the estimate for a repair. after reading the complaints here, a recall should be issue, and Ford should pick up the charges. I am not sure if I can get anything out of this vehicle now, or jsut junk it. perhaps I shjould had turn it in during the cash for junkers period.

- , Stow, OH, USA

Dec 012009

Expedition V8

Again, another spark plug blowout, FORD should fix this damn problem under a recall

- , Grand Marais, MN, USA

Oct 032009

Expedition V8

The solution would be for FORD to step up and admit that there is a problem, it was the biggest pain in my ass to repair...

- , Grand Marais, MN, USA

Jan 152010

Expedition 4x4 V8

so we're driving down the road and the truck was running fine. out of the blue we heard this horrible horrible knocking sound i pulled over and shut the truck off. a few minutes later started it back up ( started right up) but still the knocking sound. it soounded as though somethig was going to shut through the truck. I then went to the ford dealership and had it fixed. To find out they said there is no such thing as a blown out spark plug sure enough that was what it was. We were pissed we just bought the truck two months ago and had to spend 274.00 dollars in it already.

- , Port Allegany, PA, USA

Aug 242009

Expedition Eddie Bauer

I had all of the classic symptoms, wish Ford would have notified me about the problem. the only bittersweet news is the problem is so well known the mechanics can't overcharge for the fix. Blew out #7

- , Fort Collins, Colorado, USA

May 282009

Expedition 5.4L

What can I say.... I read about this problem before to change my sparkplug for the 100 000 miles. I had my spark plugs changed at the dealer because of this common problem... I received a warranty: 1 year and 12000 miles. Guess what? 1 year and 27 days and the spark plug blew out, and of course no warranty....

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 122009

Expedition Eddie Bauer

Like the other posts I was driving on the highway and boom, I thought I had a flat. I have talked with several mechanics and they have told me the horror stories with the Triton engine. My "go to" mechanic shop said they cant do this job. They do everything! They called Ford and got a phone quote of $3000. Another mechanic had a quote range of $3500 from Ford. Hard to imagine that his vehicle is just a throw away! Any suggestions?

- , Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Feb 072009

Expedition XLT 5.6L V8 Triton

After googling this problem, it seems I'm not the only one. The spark plug blow out is on the passenger side 3rd one back. A real pain to get to.

- , Petersburg, TN, USA

Mar 222009

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

My expedition has blown the same spark plug out twice; it's #3 on the right side. One dealer quoted me a min $510 a second quoted $250...WTF? Ford has about pissed me off. With this many complaints you would think they would take care of it!

- , Kingsport, TN, USA

Mar 022009

Expedition 4.6L

click to see larger images

spark plug blow out spark plug blow out

What's left to say that hasn't been said. I am sure most people haven't taken the time to add a complaint, so lets add a few zero's to the total number of blow-outs. Who messes threads up anyway. The technology is a hundred years old. As for it's future, I am unsure. The auto shop wanted $2300 to re-thread da heads. Without much thought I had it towed home. I took the intake off so I can get a clean shot at it. After I summit this complaint, I am ordering a Heli-Coil kit. Good grief.

- , Salem, Oregon, USA

Dec 122008

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

I was driving on the interstate passing a semi when a loud bang came from the engine compartment. Lost power immediately, got in the slow lane, and limped to the garage. The rear left sparkplug blew out broke the coil. It is being fixed on Mon. If there is a fix.

- , Berea, KY, USA