2001 Ford Expedition electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Expedition:

2001 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 102010

Expedition

For the past month I have been experience electrical issues with my 2001 Ford Expedition after heavy rainfalls. On two separate occasions I have had to get a jump to start my truck after it rains and once it starts the electrical system seems to go haywire. The radio turns on and off and there are clicking noises. The vent turns on and off by itself etc. The most important of these malfunctions includes the windshield wipers. On two occasions I have been driving on the highway during these electrical events (while raining) and my windshield wipers have stopped working. Each time I could not see a thing but was able to safely pull over to the shoulder of the road and eventually they start working again. To me this is a safety hazard and by doing research on the web I can see that I am not the only one that has had this issue with an Expedition between 1998-2001. Many have experienced the same thing. Apparently water leaks through the windshield and into the fuse box or GEM module. What does it take for a recall loss of life? I am really disappointed that so many safety issues have come up surrounding the electrical malfunctions on these trucks and nothing has been done about it. Please let me know if I can get assistance with getting this repaired as well as others who are going through the same things. If Ford is willing to risk a life prior to helping fix a known issue I do not think I will be purchasing another Ford again.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Feb 122010

Expedition

Leaking windshield and electrical problems on our 2001 Expedition, worried about a possible fire.

- Lake Charles ,La, LA, USA

Jan 212010

Expedition

Was driving down the road in heavy rain when windshield wipers stopped working. Could not see 2 feet infront of me, so I was forced to pull over on a busy road. Put the truck in park, and wipers started working. Put back in drive and they stopped. Finally the rain slowed enough for me to drive with out the wipers, very unsafe! when I got home, I turned the key off, pulled them out of the ignition and the heater kept running. I had to turn it to off position. Lights on gauge cluster were flickering too. Opened driver side door and radio stayed on. Had to manually turn that off as well. Smelled something burning, so I quickly unhooked the battery. Came back a couple hours later, connected battery, now vehicle wont start! will turn over, but wont crank. Did some research and found that this is a very common problem with many different Ford vehicles! problem is caused by a faulty windshield, allowing water to leak into the cab, behind the dash, and get water on the GEM and fusebox, creating corrosion. These problems could be very unsafe! possible fire from electric short, possible injury/death from wipers quitting while driving. Ford should take responsibility for their faulty design!

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Mar 122008

Expedition

Car would not start on lot when I went to look at it to purchase. Dealer replaced battery. Afew months later after car sat for a period of time(1-2 weeks) vehicle would not start. Dealer replaced battery safer relay. Few weeks after that same thing again. Dealer says battery may be bad. Replaced!! my latest event vehicle sat for about 2 days. Temp went down to -29 I waited until temp went up to about -5 and went to start and battery was completely dead. Took vehicle to an auto electric shop where draw test showed an 80 milliamp drain where normal should be about (Ford says) 50 milliamps. A wire was cut to the subwoofer and drain went down to 17 milliamps. This is a factory installed item. I have read hundreds of complaints on the particular vehicle(2001 Ford Expedition) mine happens to be an eddie bauer model. A lot of the problems seem to be leaking windshields ruining the GEM modules and fuse blocks. I don't know yet if my problem is solved or not only time will tell. I'm sure a lot of this type of thing has come across your desk. Ford should take some of this burden off it customers. They know this problem widely exist and they do nothing. Future GM customer.

- Pine River, MN, USA

Jan 042010

Expedition

There seems to be electrical problems caused by a leaking windshield. This causes erratic behavior in the electrical system and I experience electrical shock when I touched the vehicle. I will cause accidents if it interfere with the power steering. This is a common problem in this vehicle according to the dealership - they should be responsible for there mistake - not slam the consumer with a $1000 repair bill.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Dec 241999

Expedition

On 01/04/10 we had snow and rain. I drove to a store with my 2001 Ford Expedition and when I wanted to leave the car failed to start. I had to sit in the cold (13'weather) waiting for some one to help for almost an hour. When I took it to the dealership the following week, they slammed me with $1000 in repair costs - money I cannot afford to spent on a vehicle especially if it is the manufacturer defect, the repairman admitted that this vehicle had issues with leaky windshields that goes into the fuses box and the short out the electrical system, I did experience electric shock also when I touched the vehicle, at the time I did not think anything of this but now I fear that this electrical problem will cause sparks that can cause vehicle fires. Furthermore - if you're driving and the powersteering fail due to electrical problems it will cause accidents. Please look into this and help loyal Ford owners to get the repairs they deserve.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Apr 142007

Expedition

According to Ford is the GEM/cjb that fails because windshield leaking. Any electrical component inside the vehicle not working (locks, windows, odometer, and misfiring) transmission not working ok.

- El Monte, CA, USA

Dec 042009

Expedition

My husband was driving his 2001 fore Expedition on 78west, he heard a pop sound and smoke came in the truck, he pulled over on the shoulder and the truck caught of fire, totaling the truck. This was first occurrence. We only owed 2000 left to pay, and now my husband is without a vehicle to get to work.

- Plainfield, NJ, USA

Dec 162009

Expedition

My 2001 Ford Expedition has an electrical problem, that causes me great concern as to the safety of me and my family due to electrical short circuit fire & ecct.,sometimes the radio will come on with the ignition off and sometimes the heater fan comes on full blast when I cut the car off and remove the key, something is killing my battery, I am afraid to drive the vehicle off any where because when I get back to it, it may or may not crank, this is truly a safety problem that I think is on the Ford Motor Co. To fix, just let my family get hurt by this problem and I think I might just own the Ford Motor Co. After the law suit.

- Lizella, GA, USA

Jan 022009

Expedition

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Expedition. When shifting into the reverse gear, the rear parking sensor was inoperative. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The technician was unable to determine the cause of the failure related to the parking sensor. The vehicle has not been repaired at this time. The failure mileage 78,000. The current mileage was 90,000.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Dec 122009

Expedition

Ford Expedition 2001 raining outside yesterday and today for first time this year. Yesterday, battery light on dashboard (indicating electrical problem) went on for first time. Tonight, went out with my wife and 3 young kids and as we were driving could tell something was definitely wrong with the electrical; radio shut off randomly, lights in cabin began slowly dimming, gauges went off then headlights, all in about a 3 minute period we were trying to get home as quickly as possible, but the Expedition almost stalled, etc. We were able to make it home in the dark by the grace of god. Went on the computer and began to read at Ford-forums.com and realized our electrical problem was not unique but was a widespread problem that other Ford truck/SUV owners experienced. Here's a link to the problems similar to what we experienced [www.Ford-forums.com/Ford-Expedition/594-expy-has-serious-electrical-problem-2.html] I believe I'm having the same problem as those who have a leaky/faulty windshield and/or wiper-motor seal. The water gets into the fuse box and/or the GEM module causing electrical issues and/or failures. I'm grateful my family is safe but our situation could have been disastrous and even life-threatening had it happened farther from home or on the freeway. I'm not sure what I can do to correct the failure but will be checking with my mechanic and Ford dealer.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Jul 312009

Expedition

Day before fire, noticed smoke under the hood. Could not figure out where problem was. Friday, July 31, 2009 drove to work by 8:00am.entered bldg and someone shouted fire!fire! it was under my hood of truck and the truck burned from motor to dashboard, steeringwheel, front driver tire w/extensive smoke damage to cabin. Total loss.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 102009

Expedition

I have experienced a windshield leak on my 2001 Ford Expedition. This has lead to unwanted electrical activity when the vehicle is unattended. This has included the radio coming on or the blower motor running and even the starter engaging with the key removed. I am very concerned about a possible fire!

- Brick, NJ, USA

Apr 062009

Expedition

My 2001 Ford Expedition caught on fire and burned in the parking lot at the va regional office. I learned later that there have been issues with the cruise control feature that could potentially be the cause of the occurrence.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 072009

Expedition

Vehicle caught fire after being off & parked for 3 1/2 hours.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Apr 082009

Expedition

Driving along interstate, heard a horrible noise. Stopped, lifted hood and realized factory installed spark plug on my 2001 Ford Expedition with 5.4 Triton motor had blown out. Mechanic replaced coil, heli=coil and spark plug.

- Alachua, FL, USA

Mar 162009

Expedition

Windshield leaking water causing erratic and unpredictable intermittent electrical failures in a 2001 Ford Expedition. Windshield wiper operation is effected by water intrusion into the fuse panel and GEM as stated in Ford Motor Company advisory. When vehicle is placed into drive it operation of the windshield wipers is either non operational or only operational when vehicle is placed back into park. This a major safety issue which has been swept under the rug by Ford Motor Company. This issue has been documented by numerous complaint on this web site alone. But until someone is injured or killed well this issue come to light and action to correct the problem which effect many families that use these vehicles everyday rain or shine. These incidents have been going on for more than three years.

- Windsor, VA, USA

Mar 132009

Expedition

The blower in the front dash would keep blowing even when I took the key out. I had to leave it blowing all night at the apartment complex....I was worried that it might catch N fire. In the morning, the battery was dead. I called my repair shop, they came and jump-started my Expedition. They have not worked on it, yet. I have found and recall that there has been a recall on this make and model (first noted in 2002).

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 182009

Expedition

Safety related electrical problems during rainy conditions, including failure of windshield wipers.

- Concord, NC, USA

Dec 012008

Expedition

On the morning of 12/1/08 my 2001 Ford Expedition would not start, battery was dead. I jumped it off and drove it to the dealer. The ac fan and radio remained on even with the key out of the ignition. I have also learned the ABS system could be affected. Also; due to the electrical system shorting out there is the potential for fire. It has been determined that the windshield leaked water onto the fuse box/GEM. Ford issues a special service message #15773, in April of 2002. I bought this Expedition from B&B Ford at barnwell, SC 29812, 803-259-5524 on 2/21/2004. No one mentioned the ssm to me. Now my vehicle is sitting in the middle of the dealership with the under wheel dash removed. They are telling me the it will be over $600 for the repair. This includes resealing the windshield, replacing the fuse box and GEM. I feel that I have been driving in a vehicle that is poised to cause my family harm or death. Purchasing from a dealer one would have to agree that these issues should be resolved before the vehicle was sold to me. Once again, I was never made aware of any issues now a possible $600 plus bill. They ordered the parts today. This is definitely a Ford problem not an ed problem. How many others are riding around in these time bombs? thanks for your time. Ed corley

- Barnwell, SC, USA