2001 Ford Expedition electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Expedition:

2001 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Nov 302008

Expedition

During wet weather my 2001 Ford Expedition will have various electrical problems including windshield wipers not working, radio turning on/off, door locks not working and windows not working. Sometimes car will not start at all.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Nov 212008

Expedition

Have owned my 2001 Ford Expedition for almost three years. Have replaced the battery and when in rains, I have to keep towels in the vehicle because of leaking windows. It does not always leak in the same spot. Many times I have attempted to start my vehicle and the battery is dead. Now when I shut my vehicle off, the blower fans turns on and runs until the battery is dead. I also will be driving, and all my dash lights will blink on and off. I am concerned about the GEM module and the possibility that this electrical activity could cause a fire, even when not running. I am hearing estimates for repair of up to $1,500. In my research on this, it is not an isolated event, nor an inexpensive one to fix.

- Redmond, OR, USA

Sep 092008

Expedition

Windshield leaking water causing erratic and unpredictable intermittent electrical failures in a 2001 Ford Expedition. This is dangerous.

- Cuba, NY, USA

Jul 242008

Expedition

Water leaked through windshield. Car stays on when key is out at times wasting all gas. Blower and dash lights stay on at times draining battery.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 292008

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Car was parked caught on fire in the middle of the night. Had city of seattle fire department and fire marshal investigator showed up also he determined fire was electrical. He gave me a report number I also reported incident to my insurance company. My car is a 2001 Ford Expedition. After reading on the internet all the other reports I have no doubt it was because of problems with the cruise control mentioned on many, many other sites. I am now stuck in a position where I have to buy another car, I have lost all the money I have invested into this vehicle. If I was aware of this problem when I brought it in 05 I could have had it turned around. The thing that really sticks out is that the recall was in 05 and makes me question why wasn't this fixed before I purchased the vehicle.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 282006

Expedition 8-cyl

2001 Ford Expedition has electrical malfunction wipers don't work when vehicle is put in gear. Lights stay on after vehicle is turned off and light switch is off. Radio comes on when vehicle is off.

- Windsor, VA, USA

Feb 122007

Expedition 8-cyl

1. the air bag system fails when I turn the truck off and the rear end lowers to the ground. I have to wait a long time with the ignition on when I am parked for the truck to raise up. It also lowers while driving and I have to pull over and wait for it to raise up again. This happens throughout every day. I have not tried to get it fixed because it is very expensive. 2. when it rains the electrical systems goes haywire. The starter engages when the key is not in the ignition and when the truck is already running; the lights flicker or remain on; the blower turns on when the truck is shut off; the radio won't work; the windshield wipers won't work; when the car is shut down everything stays on and the battery runs down.

- Rialto, CA, USA

Jan 312008

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the electrical system activates continuously. The dealer stated that a new electrical box, which controls the horn and all other electric instruments, needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure continues. The dealer advises her to bring the vehicle in for repair; however, they never repair it correctly. The contact does not want to continue paying the dealer for incorrect repairs. The current and failure mileages were 108,000.

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Jan 182008

Expedition 8-cyl

After rain or heavy fog we experienced many electrical issues on our 01 Expedition incl. Horn not working normal, front & rear wipers not working or coming on by themselves, door locks locking/unlocking while driving, interior & exterior lights not working, alarm system going off while SUV was being driven, fan blower on after SUV was turned off, radio working intermittently, etc. The latest occurred 1/16/08 after heavy rains the prior night. SUV wouldn't start in the morning and had to be jumped. It was driven that day with only issue being interior lights coming on themselves. On 1/17/08 SUV wouldn't turn over and again was jumped. There was clicking noise from engine compartment that seemed to be coming from kelsey hayes black box. We immediately took SUV to dealership and asked for tech to witness issue. Tech confirmed noise coming from the K-H ABS module, said problem was probably due to windshield leak into fuse box & GEM module which was sending current to ABS module and also causing interior lights to turn on/off by themselves. On 1/18/08 dealership said tech did pressure test on windshield and it leaked and needed to be resealed. Fuse box and GEM module would also need replaced. Since problems were caused by water leak Ford ext.warranty won't cover repairs. I spoke to srv mgr, who said he would call zone mgr.and get back to me. I called Ford customer relations (crc) to document issues. Called dealership on 1/21/08 and srv. Mgr. Said zone mgr. Said nothing could be done to resolve situation and we were responsible for repairs. Due to ongoing electric issues with SUV we fear other safety features may malfunction compromising our safety. Ford issued ssm 15773 on 4/05/02 to dealerships addressing unusual electrical issues after rain or snow resulting from a windshield water leak. The ssm included actions to be taken in that situation. Our vehicle was back to dealership many times after release of ssm for electrical issues and ssm work was never done.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Dec 302007

Expedition 8-cyl

I was coming home from church in heavy rain in 2001 Expedition when the windshield wipers and radio quit. I was forced to pull over due to not being able to see road ahead. I shifted into park and the radio and wipers came on. But as soon as I shifted back into drive they quit again. So I waited out the rain. When rain ceased I made it home with no wipers or radio. When I switched the ignition to off and removed the key the radio and wipers started to work again. The reading on the speed odometer was little dashes, and three warning light were own. Turn key back on and tried to crank SUV. It would only turn the engine over (not starting it). I disconnected the battery to keep from running battery down. If this had happen in heavy rain on a crowded highway there would have been a major accident and probably death. It seem that the 2001 Expedition has a history of windshield leaks letting the rain get on the fuse panel junction and GEM module. What will it take to get Ford to fix this problem, death and property damage?

- Perdido, AL, USA

Nov 262007

Expedition 8-cyl

Unwanted electrical activity. The blower motor comes on (sometimes) when the ignition is turned off. Also heard a clicking sound under the hood, may be the ABS. Will not start as battery is low.

- Erie, PA, USA

Aug 032006

Expedition 8-cyl

Every time it rains, my car won't start, front dash lights will turn on automatically, wipers won't work, radio won't work, ABS and theft light comes on, it has smoked and sometimes smells like an electrical fire. Water pools in the front left of my dash, it is completely rusted underneath my dash on the left side.

- Leland, NC, USA

Aug 162007

Expedition

I am having the same water leak problems that I've seen on here before. Water is getting into my fusebox every time it rains. I don't have the money to repair this so it is an ongoing safety hazard for me. I cannot believe this has not already been recalled after viewing all the complaints on the internet.

- Stillwater, OK, USA

Oct 112007

Expedition 8-cyl

I have a 2001 Ford Expedition and 1 year ago the heater would stay on after I would remove the key from the ignition and the battery would be dead every morning. 4 months ago I was driving in the rain and when I put my car into park the radio would turn on and I would put it into drive and it would turn off. Two days ago I was at work and I had gone to my car to retrieve something and I could hear across the parking lot that my car was trying to start without my key in the ignition I was freaking out, how can a car start without a key. I opened my car and put my key in the ignition, not knowing what to do I tried to start it to turn it off and when it was off I closed the door and started to walk back into work and it all the sudden was trying to start itself again. I went into work to get a man to come and unplug my battery. After work I reconnected the battery and it started I picked up my children and on the way home my car started grinding making weird noises then the radio was going on and off. I pulled over and grabbed my children out of the car thinking it was going to start an electrical fire. I had to stand in the rain and wait for a ride to pick us up and take us home. This only seems to happen in the rain. I was so scared for my self and my children. I went home and called a friend who knows a lot about cars and he said that this is common in Ford Expedition the windshield window leaks. He says I have to get a new windshield and a GEM module and a fuse box and a junction box. How can this be such a problem and Ford has not recalled the leaky windshields. My husband is very ill and we do not have any money to fix this. I now have no way to get him back and forth to the hospital. We all pay so much money for our cars and we have to worry about possible fires and unwanted elecrical activity when the car is unattended. I really hope Ford can help me and many others out their.

- Wauconda, IL, USA

Feb 052007

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Windshield wipers, rear window wiper, windows, interior lights and moon roof quit working, apparent cause was GEM module due to leaking windshield?

- Bridgeton, NJ, USA

Aug 032006

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The electrical system on my 2001 Ford Expedition was compromised and required repair due to a leaking front windshield. During heavy rainstorms the windshield leaked and soaked my electrical box causing shortages in all of my electrical systems. Driving the vehicle to the dealership, the vehicles electrical components were malfunctioning which caused some unsafe moments on the highway. Dealer replaced electrical box under my extended warranty but I (owner) had to replace front windshield at my own cost.

- Littleton, CO, USA

May 122006

Expedition 8-cyl

Electrical hazard due to water intrusion resulting from windshield leak. 2001 Ford Expedition experienced several electrical failures during rain storm including but not limited to windshield wiper failure, headlamp failure, window/door lock failure, ac runs with ignition off and keys removed, car attempts to start without keys or driver.

- Bourbonnais, IL, USA

Feb 152004

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Today (7/21/06) I again contacted the Ford customer relationship center concerning a problem with the electrical system in my 2001 Expedition. It has continually eaten batteries and the battery saver relay due to a windshield leak that Ford claims they are not aware of, yet NHTSA has been receiving regular complaints on this problem. Initially the drawdown was diagnosed by Ford as relating to rhe cruise control recall. Guess what" that's fixed but the frying of the battery saver relay and battery drawdown continue. I did not appreciate dale at the Ford consumer relationship number referring me to a Ford dealership in carson city, I'm sure if I drove the vehicle from Hawaii the leak would get worse. Meanwhile, what is NHTSA doing about complaints you've been receiving for years? this defect is well documented and caused injuries and economic stress. Would you please take some action"

- Kailua-Kona, HI, USA

Jun 142006

Expedition 8-cyl

: the contact stated the front windshield leaked rainwater into the vehicle and the dash panel area. Afterwards, the power and electrical features did not work. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer who determined due to the heavy rain the windshield seal leaked and the water caused an electrical failure of the central junction box.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Mar 212006

Expedition 8-cyl

I own a 2001 Ford Expedition. For about the last 3 months, when it rains, the electrical system has numerous problems. It started about 3 months ago when the heater fan would continue to blow on high after the key was removed from the ignition. It would continue to run until the battery died. It gradually got worse over the last 3 months with a new symptom being added to the list. Currently the radio and windshield wipers will not work when the car is in drive after it has been raining heavily for awhile. Also the fan problem continues when the car is turned off. All this happens when it has been raining heavily for a while. I have seen reports from other owners that this is happening to them so I'm reporting it to you. Since the windshield wiper doesn't work when it is raining, this could be a bad problem.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA