2001 Ford Expedition electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Expedition:

2001 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 182013

Expedition

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle caught on fire where the fire department was reported. The fire department stated that the fire started from under the hood of the vehicle. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure and current mileage was 208,000.

- Redding, CA, USA

Jul 182012

Expedition 8-cyl

I am having various electrical issues ranging from check engine light going on periodically with codes not stored when checked, on, dome light in the car not turn on when driver door opened, radio not working when key is in on position, dash lights go off intermittently. One night during a very heavy rain storm the alarm went off and we were unable to disable for over 30 mins. Had to remove the battery for the beeping to stop. When we checked the next day, inside the vehicle was a puddle of water on the dashboard & droplets were coming from the top drivers side of the windshield. Also noticed that water was streaming down from inside a handle on the frame by side of the windshield on driver side. Unaware of global windshield/seal issues with Ford we proceeded to have the windshield replaced. At the time we were unaware of any additional damage. Shortly after while driving we began to experience various episodes of the car revving itself up, as if it was in control of its own speed, making it difficult to control the car. During these episodes of acceleration the car temperature & oil gauges registered at overheated levels & many times the dash lights would go off. In this case I pulled over and turned the car off. After a couple of minutes when I turned the car on, the car was back to normal as if nothing had happened. Typically when this happened although the check engine light was lit, when I took the car in to be serviced by the dealer I was told no error codes were stored in the vehicle. This vehicle continues to self accelerate and rev up intermittently. At present I need to have the car smogged for renewal but the vehicle system readiness test register incomplete and there are no faulty codes listed. I have read that various owners experience these conditions which has been caused by water leak into the fuse box and the GEM due to the windshield seal failure.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Jan 262012

Expedition 8-cyl

On the morning of January 26, 2012 I parked may car at my employee parking lot at approximately 5:50am. I head to work like any ordinary day, and at approximately 8:30 am, I had co-workers informing me that my car was on fire. I ran out to the parking lot and found my car in flames. My 2001 Ford Expedition eddie bauer caused the two cars on my sides to catch on fire as well. When the fire department arrived it was too late to save anything from the car. It was a total loss, everything inside was destroyed into ashes, my personal belongings were unrecognizable. I only had liability insurance on my car, and will have to pay for the damages that my car caused to the other people..I am now left with no car, and having the blame of the fire when I did absolutely nothing wrong. My Ford Expedition was in perfect conditions and up to date with all of the services; now that it was the family car and we traveled all around the country with it. We were the only owners and bought it brand new for a reason. The cruise control recall was taken care of immediately after receiving the letter in the year 2004, and was never re-installed. The causes of the fire are still unknown, and I will like to let Ford know of the situation so they can do something about it. It is such a traumatizing situation that I would not like anyone else to experience. I have lost all of my trust on Ford. Be aware people, do not park next to a Ford, you never know when they might catch on fire.

- Sugar Land , TX, USA

Aug 012011

Expedition 8-cyl

The multifunction switch is failing when the steering wheel/column is put into a lower position. The left turn signal fails and goes to a rapid pulse unless the steering wheel is in the highest position. This is the exact same issue with the multifunction switch affecting the turn signals on my 2001 eb Expedition that I see all over the internet and as is being addressed in an announced recall for other Ford vehicles. blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2011/07/recall-alert-26715-Ford-trucks-SUVS.html will the recall be extended to other models having the same exact issue" I am also concerned now about possible electrical fires after reading other complaints here. I do not see recalls for these safety issues though. What will it take to get attention on these issues and to get Ford to make the appropriate safety corrections"

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Aug 092011

Expedition

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the vehicle ignited and became engulfed in flames while the vehicle was parked. The fire and police department reported to the scene and a report was filed. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. There was also damage to two additional vehicles parked in close proximity to the contact's vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed and not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Guarabo, PR, USA

Jun 192011

Expedition 8-cyl

Bought a 2001 Expedition from a used car lot. Since purchase, cruise has not worked, short in ignition switch which radio and blower stay on and kill battery. Replace tie rod ends, front brakes and rotors, rear seal leaking. Replace ignition switch. Nice looking vehicle but many electrical problems for my wife and kids to be riding in. I have only owned vehicle for 1.5 months and already have spent $1500 in repairs and still has issues. Please help in getting the vehicle in safe running order for my family. This is my wife's car and I seem to be driving it more so they can use my company car for safety.

- Scotts, MI, USA

May 232011

Expedition

My 2001 Ford Expedition caught fire in my driveway soon after my cruise control quit working. It burned and caused my 2004 Ford F-250 to burn and subsequently caught my house on fire.

- Kimberly, AL, USA

Jan 012009

Expedition

Electrical: Windshield leaking for a few years. First a small leak and did not think much about it. Now it seems to be greater leaks into the car when it rains- leading to electrical issues such as dash lights go out, blower stays on, fuel gauge does not read right. Radio sometimes will not work right and the lights go out. Fuel tank: Issues from day one - floats did not work right, now gauge does not read right, one point I could not fill the car - mechanic did something to try and correct it. Hood/windshield leak: Must be careful not to go to an automatic car wash. Water into the engine area. Must park at a certain angle during the rain. Coil packs go out.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 072011

Expedition

This vehicle was sitting in the service department of our dealership and had been idle since 5:00pm on 5/6/2011. At approximately 1:15pm on 5/7/2011, the vehicle spontaneously caught fire and subsequently caught a large portion of the service department on fire. The total damage is still untold, but the fire has shut the dealership down until it is deemed safe to open again. After speaking with fire officials and hearing this is a common problem among this make and model vehicle I did research and found that the cruise control switch has been found to be the culprit of many fires just like this one.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Mar 202009

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Persistent problems with this vehicle are failures of the ignition coils and boots (5.4L only), and restriction of the exhaust gas recirculation (egr) passages inside the intake plenum (4.6L only). The cost to repair the ignition coils and boots is estimated at $103 for parts and $32.50 for labor for each defective coil. The cost to clean the egr passages is estimated at $4 for parts and $65 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Dec 152010

Expedition 8-cyl

In the last 6 months, I have noticed that when it rains, my blower motor will run on high-speed and my lights will flicker after I turn the vehicle off. At first it would stop after a few seconds, however this last time, it ran for about 10 minutes and finally shut off. I called Ford Motor Co to inquire about a recall. They have no record nor keep any data on anything. So I called the local dealer and they were 'familiar' with my problem and had a 'few' fixed. Well, after doing some research on the internet, it turns out there's more than just a 'few' incidents.. there are several!!! the problem appears too start with a water leak in the windshield, going to the fuse box and gemodule which in turn sends electrical currents to the ABS module which cause all sorts of problems. This is a Ford manufacturers defect.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 192009

Expedition

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the electrical system malfunctioned, the instrument panel would illuminate suddenly without warrant, the radio would engage independently, and the windshield wipers would activate without the keys being in the ignition. In addition, the contact stated that the windshield wipers would not engage while the vehicle was turned on. The vehicle was inspected by an authorized dealer who advised the contact that water was leaking into the vehicle through the windshield and the windshield would need replacing. The windshield was replaced yet the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer but the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure or diagnose where the leak was coming from. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer advised the contact that they could offer no assistance without an accurate diagnosis. The failure mileage was approximately 98,000 and the current mileage was approximately 121,000.

- Dacula, GA, USA

Sep 202010

Expedition

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Expedition eddie bauer edition. While the vehicle was parked, the contact was informed that the vehicle was on fire which originated from under the hood. The contacts family was able to extinguish the fire. A police report was filed. The vehicel was destroyed. The failure mileage was approximately 115,000.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Jul 022010

Expedition

Leaking windshield causing different systems to act unpredictably. Currently ac blower fan circuit blown (fixed 4X), cruise control dead after intermittently working (high potential of fatality if acceleration out of control). Radio comes on an off. Check engine light on continuously. Numerous codes showing up even after deleting. This problem has been occurring for years ( at least 4 years). The windshield has to be replaced as per technician but I strongly feel that Ford should just plug the leak for all the Expedition and Navigator being affected by this. Others have had more serious problem - windows opening and closing automatically (no user action).

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Jun 102010

Expedition

For the past month I have been experience electrical issues with my 2001 Ford Expedition after heavy rainfalls. On two separate occasions I have had to get a jump to start my truck after it rains and once it starts the electrical system seems to go haywire. The radio turns on and off and there are clicking noises. The vent turns on and off by itself etc. The most important of these malfunctions includes the windshield wipers. On two occasions I have been driving on the highway during these electrical events (while raining) and my windshield wipers have stopped working. Each time I could not see a thing but was able to safely pull over to the shoulder of the road and eventually they start working again. To me this is a safety hazard and by doing research on the web I can see that I am not the only one that has had this issue with an Expedition between 1998-2001. Many have experienced the same thing. Apparently water leaks through the windshield and into the fuse box or GEM module. What does it take for a recall loss of life? I am really disappointed that so many safety issues have come up surrounding the electrical malfunctions on these trucks and nothing has been done about it. Please let me know if I can get assistance with getting this repaired as well as others who are going through the same things. If Ford is willing to risk a life prior to helping fix a known issue I do not think I will be purchasing another Ford again.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Feb 122010

Expedition

Leaking windshield and electrical problems on our 2001 Expedition, worried about a possible fire.

- Lake Charles ,La, LA, USA

Jan 212010

Expedition

Was driving down the road in heavy rain when windshield wipers stopped working. Could not see 2 feet infront of me, so I was forced to pull over on a busy road. Put the truck in park, and wipers started working. Put back in drive and they stopped. Finally the rain slowed enough for me to drive with out the wipers, very unsafe! when I got home, I turned the key off, pulled them out of the ignition and the heater kept running. I had to turn it to off position. Lights on gauge cluster were flickering too. Opened driver side door and radio stayed on. Had to manually turn that off as well. Smelled something burning, so I quickly unhooked the battery. Came back a couple hours later, connected battery, now vehicle wont start! will turn over, but wont crank. Did some research and found that this is a very common problem with many different Ford vehicles! problem is caused by a faulty windshield, allowing water to leak into the cab, behind the dash, and get water on the GEM and fusebox, creating corrosion. These problems could be very unsafe! possible fire from electric short, possible injury/death from wipers quitting while driving. Ford should take responsibility for their faulty design!

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Mar 122008

Expedition

Car would not start on lot when I went to look at it to purchase. Dealer replaced battery. Afew months later after car sat for a period of time(1-2 weeks) vehicle would not start. Dealer replaced battery safer relay. Few weeks after that same thing again. Dealer says battery may be bad. Replaced!! my latest event vehicle sat for about 2 days. Temp went down to -29 I waited until temp went up to about -5 and went to start and battery was completely dead. Took vehicle to an auto electric shop where draw test showed an 80 milliamp drain where normal should be about (Ford says) 50 milliamps. A wire was cut to the subwoofer and drain went down to 17 milliamps. This is a factory installed item. I have read hundreds of complaints on the particular vehicle(2001 Ford Expedition) mine happens to be an eddie bauer model. A lot of the problems seem to be leaking windshields ruining the GEM modules and fuse blocks. I don't know yet if my problem is solved or not only time will tell. I'm sure a lot of this type of thing has come across your desk. Ford should take some of this burden off it customers. They know this problem widely exist and they do nothing. Future GM customer.

- Pine River, MN, USA

Jan 042010

Expedition

There seems to be electrical problems caused by a leaking windshield. This causes erratic behavior in the electrical system and I experience electrical shock when I touched the vehicle. I will cause accidents if it interfere with the power steering. This is a common problem in this vehicle according to the dealership - they should be responsible for there mistake - not slam the consumer with a $1000 repair bill.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Dec 241999

Expedition

On 01/04/10 we had snow and rain. I drove to a store with my 2001 Ford Expedition and when I wanted to leave the car failed to start. I had to sit in the cold (13'weather) waiting for some one to help for almost an hour. When I took it to the dealership the following week, they slammed me with $1000 in repair costs - money I cannot afford to spent on a vehicle especially if it is the manufacturer defect, the repairman admitted that this vehicle had issues with leaky windshields that goes into the fuses box and the short out the electrical system, I did experience electric shock also when I touched the vehicle, at the time I did not think anything of this but now I fear that this electrical problem will cause sparks that can cause vehicle fires. Furthermore - if you're driving and the powersteering fail due to electrical problems it will cause accidents. Please look into this and help loyal Ford owners to get the repairs they deserve.

- Lewisville, TX, USA