2001 Ford Expedition miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Expedition:

2001 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Sep 022007

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The spark plug exploded from the cylinder head due to a mechanical defect in my cylinder head, and my Expedition is the only vehicle I own which legally fits all of my children in their booster seats. The Ford Motor Company won't fix the problem unless I pay them $750, which I don't have, and don't believe I should have to pay to fix their defect.

- Moline, IL, USA

Feb 142007

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Blown spark plug in 2001 Ford Expedition 2006, had it repaired for $2,000. Today 2/14/07 it has happened again, I will have it towed to the same place for repairs probably costing another $2,000 - $3,000.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jan 132007

Expedition 8-cyl

My 2001 Ford Expedition has unwanted electrical activity when the car is unattended and has ran the battery out. It can cause a fire. I have been informed that it is a leaking windshield and is a common problem in this year of vehicle. The dealership says that the GEM and fuse box were getting wet. The electrical items could start a fire.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Aug 192006

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Underbody spare tire carrier/winch cable failed causing the spare to fall into the road. I believe that there is a small metal piece pressed onto the end of the cable which broke off. No accident or injury resulted but if the tire had fallen at highway speed it could have killed someone.

- Bristol, RI, USA

Jul 312006

Expedition 8-cyl

Experienced failure of several electrical components - electric door windows on right front, rear windshield wiper, cruise control, interior lights would not turn off, battery wore down, sunroof window. The dealer stated that water got into the car and had to replace the fuse box and computer and the switch for the front right window. Returned with right front door window, and rear wiper not working again and have to replace the motor for these.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Dec 162005

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

On 3 occasions this year,2005 ( July, November and December) when humidity is really high, and/or snow would cover my 2001 Ford Expedition, I would have unexplainable electrical problems. Either my headlight won't shut off, the blower would not shut when turning engine off, power windows wont work, seated heat won't work, ABS light would turn on. An unusual ticking sound under the steering wheel could be heard intermittently. After a day or two, the problem seem to self resolve. This then makes it difficult because the Ford dealers aren't able to help me if the problem was resolved. The most recent incident in December was the most frustrating. I consulted 3 Ford dealers and non of them would fix it for me. I have 78,000 miles on my truck and I did buy the premium extended warranty up to 100,000. The dealer said, we won't fix your problem because leaks is not covered in your warranty and that is the cause of your problem. I even pointed out to the dealers that I read on NHTSA web site that this was not as uncommon as what I thought it was ( referring to nvs-212cag EA05-015). None of them would help me without me paying at least $600 just to check the truck, because they said it required opening the dash board.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Mar 152005

Expedition 8-cyl

It just keeps feeling like someone is rear ended us every time we go to stop and I had the transmission checked out and its fine.

- Port Richey, FM, USA

Aug 012004

Expedition 8-cyl

Beginning about 8-12 month's ago, the right rear child safety lock frequently switches from the "unlocked" position to the "locked" position, approximately every 3rd-to-4th time the right rear door is shut. This malfuntion of a safety feature creates situations where the passenger is locked within the car and cannot let themselves out unless the door is openned from the outside.

- Silsbee, TX, USA