2001 Ford Expedition miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Expedition:

2001 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Jun 282013

Expedition 8-cyl

Approximately 15-20 minutes after I got home from work my 2001 Ford Expedition catches on fire. We, my wife and 3 kids here a loud pressure sound go off outside. Not sure what was going on, we run to the front door and as my wife opens the doors she screams that the house is on fire. We run back inside, she calls 911 and I take kids safely through the back yard. I got back inside the house and open the garage door and find the entire one car garage filled with smoke. Luckily, neighbors grab the hose and one a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. The flame reached the garage door and frame including gutters and roof tiles. Thankfully to the neighbors the entire house did not catch on firm said, the local fire department when they arrive at the scene. The loud pressure sound we heard was the driver side tire blow out. Apparently, the fire had started several minutes prior to us heading the sound. Considering the garage was filled with thick dark smoke, it may have been approximately 5-10 minutes since the fire started. It was the scariest moment our lives. Ever since our family has never been the same, any little sound we hear outside we're alerted.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 262012

Expedition 8-cyl

On the morning of January 26, 2012 I parked may car at my employee parking lot at approximately 5:50am. I head to work like any ordinary day, and at approximately 8:30 am, I had co-workers informing me that my car was on fire. I ran out to the parking lot and found my car in flames. My 2001 Ford Expedition eddie bauer caused the two cars on my sides to catch on fire as well. When the fire department arrived it was too late to save anything from the car. It was a total loss, everything inside was destroyed into ashes, my personal belongings were unrecognizable. I only had liability insurance on my car, and will have to pay for the damages that my car caused to the other people..I am now left with no car, and having the blame of the fire when I did absolutely nothing wrong. My Ford Expedition was in perfect conditions and up to date with all of the services; now that it was the family car and we traveled all around the country with it. We were the only owners and bought it brand new for a reason. The cruise control recall was taken care of immediately after receiving the letter in the year 2004, and was never re-installed. The causes of the fire are still unknown, and I will like to let Ford know of the situation so they can do something about it. It is such a traumatizing situation that I would not like anyone else to experience. I have lost all of my trust on Ford. Be aware people, do not park next to a Ford, you never know when they might catch on fire.

- Sugar Land , TX, USA

Sep 162011

Expedition 8-cyl

Vehicle was parked at my house, and all of a sudden the motor went on fire. Do not know why. The front laft side.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Electrical: Windshield leaking for a few years. First a small leak and did not think much about it. Now it seems to be greater leaks into the car when it rains- leading to electrical issues such as dash lights go out, blower stays on, fuel gauge does not read right. Radio sometimes will not work right and the lights go out. Fuel tank: Issues from day one - floats did not work right, now gauge does not read right, one point I could not fill the car - mechanic did something to try and correct it. Hood/windshield leak: Must be careful not to go to an automatic car wash. Water into the engine area. Must park at a certain angle during the rain. Coil packs go out.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 012001

- Fresno, CA, USA

May 102008

My Ford Expedition blew out the #3 cylinder spark plug.

- Andrews Afb, MD, USA

Dec 232000

Expedition 4WD

The gas pedal on the adjustable pedal system will on occasion wedge under edge of floor mat. Floor mats I have are oem parts that came with the vehicle. Problem has happened twice in 2 months, once at 75mph, and the other at 5 mph. Second incident caused accident. Driver side floor mat is secured to floor carpet with "retainer" mechanism (hook) this is a very dangerous design flaw in the adjustable pedal system and must be addressed by Ford Motor Company.

- Southgate, MI, USA