7.5

$1,050.00

1. replace lower and upper control arms (3 reports)
2001 Ford Expedition suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Expedition:

2001 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Jan 072014

Expedition XLT 4.6L V8

Got a number of estimates from $550 to $1,100. The SUV having such low mileage should never have had such wear.

The ball joints were almost dropping out. I replaced them at a later mileage around 60,000 miles. I am low income and could not afford to. I did write to the Ford Motor Company but they would do nothing. After the suspension wore out I only drove locally, no long distance. I am almost 84 years old and drive carefully at low speeds and never on rough ground. Unfortunately I had to replace the parts with Chinese parts since the Ford (USA) parts were so expensive. I am now at 72,000 miles facing the awful spark plug changing situation,

What a terrible thought. I have been happy with the vehicle until I learned about the design of the plugs, head and replacement. No more Expeditions for me. Hope this helps someone

- , Lompoc, CA, USA

Mar 012014

Expedition XL V8

click to see larger images

suspension rust, wear and failure suspension rust, wear and failure suspension rust, wear and failure suspension rust, wear and failure

I think it's a shame that this vehicle has so much rust issues, especially when you keep it clean..

The Trailing Bar suspension on the DS is completely rusted, the PS is starting to rust off. It seems Ford could make a vehicle with parts that last, we pay enough for them. Now I have to get them replaced and when an auto mechanic gets under there who knows what else has rusted. It makes the vehicle unsafe, I carry my family in that SUV...this should be a definite recall.

- , Vonore, TN, USA

Oct 272013

Expedition V8

This vehicle isn't going anywhere like this, so much for my trip to Missouri...

- , Monmouth, IL, USA

Apr 102013

Expedition XLT 5.4L

upper and lower control arms failed. Came to a stop, made right turn, as I turned, the front right side of car fell on top of the passenger tire, axle broke, and dragged on ground. I though at first I had a flat, then I thought the tire came off the rim, then I realized it wasn't going to be pretty and felt lucky that I could have caused major accident or flipped the truck if driving a full speed as I was moments earlier. My observation was that there was alot of rust on the underbody. I asked the mechanic to review entire underbody of the truck for additional signs of wear and potential failure. The current fix is about $1000-1500, but may need more work due to the damage from the rust.

- , Howell, NJ, USA