8.8

1. install insert replace spark plug (14 reports)
  3. recoil plug and replace all plugs (13 reports)
  4. re-tapped hole (1 reports)
  5. replace head (1 reports)
  6. replaced spark plug (1 reports)
2002 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Expedition:

2002 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 222012

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

This is the SIXTH time I have had a spark plug blow out of the cylinder head. This is the THIRD time that the threads inside are stripped not allowing the spark plug to be re-inserted. Twice it has left my family completely stranded far from home. I cannot afford another new vehicle and I can barely afford the repair. In fact, I have to wait a few weeks to save up the money to get it done. Each repair is over $400. The first two times it was factory installed plugs and this time, the plugs were installed professionally and I made sure to tell them to do a proper torque becasue of the issue. Also, the mechanic knew of this issue as does every one else on the planet. Why Ford is not taking ownership is beyond me. Ford was the only American car company left that I trusted but that has since gone.

- , North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 012012

Expedition V8

This is the third time it happened and now the threads are stripped out. It is not the same plug either. All three were different. I am at a loss to know what to do. This truck has been a lemon since the day it was purchased.

- , Boaz, AL, USA

Feb 172012

Expedition Eddie Beuer 5.41

i will never in my life buy a ford again or refer anyone to them!!!!!... I have a 2002 expedition that runs like it been to hell and back..I was driving on the highway and my damn spark plug popped out sounding like something had hit me!!!!!!!....i was so scared!!!! i will NEVER look at another ford again........ now i'm out all this money. what am i suppose to do????....besides get another car!!!!!!.....??????

- , Wichita, KS, USA

Feb 112012

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

Today apparently the same has occurred while entering a highway (I-75), I have not had a shop look at it yet. I believe this is very dangerous because fuel vapors could leak out of the spark plug hole and cause a fire or explosion. I can't wait to see how much time and money this will cost!

- , Troy, OH, USA

Jan 182012

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

In January 2012 this happened a second time, different plug this time at start up again it was determined that a spark plug had blown out of the engine. I had to rent a car for four days.

- , Troy, OH, USA

Dec 192011

Expedition EDDIE BAUER Triton

This is the third time that this has happened. How can Ford think this is not a serious problem.. I will never buy a FORD again or recommend FORD to anyone. This is costing a lot of time and money and stress. This needs to be fixed.. New engine, new card something....

- , Port Orchard, WA, USA

Sep 272011

Expedition Eddie Bauer Triton V8

Funny, that when the tow truck driver got there, he knew exactly what was wrong with my Expedition. Guess it's a common problem. While waiting for the tow truck, I went to this website-- carcomplaints.com and there were over 17 complaints on the exact same problem with the exact year/make/model of my SUV. But, of course, it's not a common problem enough for Ford to notify owners and recall. Luckily for me, I was in my own neighborhood, and not stuck out in the middle of nowhere when my spark plug coil decided to "BLOW". Sounded horrible, LOUD Popping, then like a motorbike was under my hood when I pushed on the gas.

This site is a Godsend for me, as I am shopping for a decent used car for my daughter who just turned 16. Thank you to everyone for your comments and reports.

- , Collierville, TN, USA

Jul 202011

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Turns out this is a very common problem as the cars age...it sounded like the engine was falling out of the car. My husband was out of town and I was 20 miles from home....had to call neighbors to come get me and AAA to tow the car. Don't know what it is going to cost....just a complete headache since I am scheduled to leave town on Friday and being that they can't get to the problem until Friday I may be staying home.

- , New Harmony, UT, USA

Mar 172011

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

Ford is aware of this problem, refuses to do ANYTHING about it. Consumers are paying for a faulty design!!! Have 2 other FORD vehicles F150s '89 and '95...Recommend NO ONE buy any Ford Trucks/SUV models after 1999. You will end up paying $300+ for each spark plug as each one WILL eventually blow!! This was a FACTORY spark plug...Ford is trying to claim that it is only happening on spark plugs improperly torqued by mechanics..FALSE! I just had a second one blow..less than 6 months later!! I will be filing a complaint on that one as well! BE SURE to file a complaint each time this happens, make your voice heard!! Read this article which is VERY informative on this issue http://www.fordproblems.com/problems/spark-plug-ejected-from-engine.shtml, in addition file a complaint with your local and federal attorney general!!

- , Greencastle, IN, USA

Feb 192011

Expedition LX V8

Went on a day trip to coast, but never got there. It was on a Saturday, so we couldn't find a rental so we were stuck in an unknown town with nothing to do for eight hours. Really had a hard time even finding someplace that would work on the car. The dealership for Ford Refused to see the car until Monday. No car, no motel room, no place to go, we were at the mercy of the Independent Car repair shop to work on the car. We called a friend who was 3 hours away that they might have to come and pick us up because we were stranded!

I can't see why Ford hasn't fix this problem yet!!!!!!!!

- , Merced, CA, USA

Nov 152010

Expedition 5.4L V8

I am unable to drive this vehicle. I am also unable to repair this vehicle. I have not found a mechanic that will do the repairs or they want more then I can afford to fix it. My mechanic suggested I trade this vehicle and not purchase another Ford. What should I do?

- , Stroh, IN, USA

Feb 052011

Expedition XLT Tritan V8

Do not buy a Ford,they do not stand behind their product.When there is a common manufacturing problem they do not own up to it! Do not, I repeat, do not buy a Ford!!! I will never own another,nor will any of my friends and family own another Ford again....ever!!!!!!

- , Amarillo, TX, USA

Jan 242011

Expedition

This is the second time this has happened. In both cases it could not be the front ones but the ones in the back that make it difficult to get tools in so the everything need to be removed to reach the area. FORD need to own up to the issue. This will be the last FORD I will ever purchase. No wonder the Government had to bail them out. In my experience the all the negative acronyms for FORD seam to be true. Especially, Fix Or Repair Daily.

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Nov 042010

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4

None of the spark plugs have ever been touched since they were installed by Ford when the car was new. The factory recommended replacement interval is 100,000 miles. Since my car had less than 100,000 miles when the spark plug blew out of the cylinder head I feel that this was a defect that Ford ought to pay for fixing. Ford acknowledges the problem on these engines, but will do nothing about it. This is wrong, and Ford ought to be forced to deal with this problem as the ejection could break the fuel lines and cause a fire. This is a safety issue.

- , Pacifica, CA, USA

Jul 272010

Expedition XL 5.4L V8

click to see larger images

spark plugs eject out of cylinder head

I can't believe that ford has not made this a recall, from the looks this is common trouble. I am a big fan of fords..but now i thinking twice on there cars and trucks when it come to buying. I don't even recamend them no more. This is sad I would hope that ford would step up, recall this and keep a good name for thereselfs.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 042010

Expedition

We were about 2 weeks away from our wedding and broke, broke, broke! It was a hot day in Washington, which is a bit unusual and we were waiting at a light. All of a sudden I heard what sounded like a dirt bike. I only drove about 10 feet and realized it was my car. I pulled over and turned the car off. Waiting for a tow truck took about 3 hours. Meanwhile, me, my husband and 2 of our kids sat in the hot car just waiting. and waiting. and waiting.... When we pulled over, we were blocking a parking lot, so we tried to push the car. Well guess what.....no power steering or brakes..duh... so that didn't go so well. That was our only car so we had to borrow a friend's truck. Needless to say it didn't fit our whole family, so for a week we had to leave some of the family behind when we went places. The shop initially told us it would be about $200 but then found out we had a dual air conditioning system which was more of a pain in the ass to take off so of course the price more than doubled. When we told a good friend of our what happened, he said "that's the number 3 sparkplug. I have had a ton of friends that happened too".

I have always been a die-hard Ford fan, but honestly, I am rethinking things. About 2 weeks after getting the car back it started running really rough so we took it back to the shop and found out that our intake was completely mangled. ARGH!! That was another $600. I don't know if there was any connection, but it sure looks like it.

- , Tacoma, WA, USA

Apr 262010

Expedition 5.4L

was driving home from Reno, heard a loud popping sound. I thought I had a flat tire. I pulled over and looked at tires. I had no flat, so I popped the hood and heard sound from engine. I didnt know what it was, so I had to have it towed. It cost me 300 bucks to tow from Benicia to San Jose. The tow truck driver told me right away what it was, he said he towed 3 fords last week from the spark plug problem. I am outraged, Ford should cover this expense. I believe I done with Ford products! Jim

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 092008

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Ford Sucks!!!!! I will never buy another ford as long as I live, Nor will my children or their children buy Ford vehicles if I have anything to say about it. I work an hour away from home and just getting off of my shift heading home my truck decides to blow a spark plug. I was on a bypass on a major 4 lane highway-when what do you know my wonderful Ford left me stranded. having to wait an hour to have it towed was awful. But the worse part about it is my whole family being professional mechanics for a living (what do you know my uncle even was a major mechanic for Ford for many years) could not easily fix the situation. It appears that once these spark plugs "POP OUT" you can't just replace them. You have to do a major repair job costing a fortune to fix and than pray to god that while your driving with your family down a country road in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of night with no cell phone that it doesn't happen again. What the hell is Ford doing there. Obviously not making dependable vehicles. Stay away from Fords. Once mine is fixed I am trading it in on a foreign model. F*** the American made theory. Hell they've destroyed our economy and any chance at our children have a dependable future. We really believed they knew how to make a dependable vehicle. It has been proven just how "STUPID" we are to believe in "American Made" Stay away from Fords!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Bloomville, OH, USA

Feb 192009

Expedition EB 5.4L

Had it fixed once already, this is the 2nd time! I will never buy another 'Found On Road Dead' again. Do they really wonder why their profits are on a downward spiral. No Bail-out for ford is my vote, or any other Detroit crappy company. Build a quality product, Build something you can stand behind, Build a product to be proud of.

- , Fairfield, CA, USA

Dec 292008

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

So now my ability to use this car for family trips across Colorado in the winter puts my family at risk of not only freezing to death if we are stranded out of cell phone reach, but a car fire as well. Thank you Form Motor Co. This tops the engine throwing a rod in my Buick wagon about 15 years ago, and the carburetor problem I had with my Dodge wagon 20 years ago. Seems the only cars that were reliable were the Toyota Camry, the Honda Accord, the Subaru's, the Toyota Previa (240,000 miles!) -- and detroid wants a bailout???

- , Durango, CO, USA