2002 Ford Expedition seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Expedition:

2002 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Dec 212010

Expedition

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the vehicle's driver side seat belts would unlatch independently. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was not taken to an independent mechanic or dealer to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 123,000.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Apr 302014

Expedition

On multiple occasions the driver's side seat belt has randomly unbuckled itself for no apparent reason. If an accident were to occur the seat belt may not be considered a reliable restraint which could result in serious injury or death. After multiple complaints from several consumers this safety device should be investigated.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Dec 142014

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

While driving, the driver and passenger seatbelts in the front will randomly unlock. This car has not been in any accidents. The equipment is factory originals. This has become a real safety issue as we never know when they are going to unlock.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jun 072004

Expedition 8-cyl

Be driving any speed it works and both seat belts locking latch will release while driving. It has got worse the front passenger side will not latch any more.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Feb 082013

Expedition

Both drivers side and passenger latches unbuckle at random times. Despite secure entry confirmed.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 082013

Expedition 8-cyl

Driver's seat belt randomly unlatches while driving despite having been properly latched to start.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

May 142013

Expedition 8-cyl

The seat belt randomly comes unfastened. At first I thought I wasn't buckling it properly but have since begun yanking on it to make sure it was buckled each time I drive it. It just releases on its own, whether I am going 10-20 miles per hour or freeway speed. It is happening more often, sometimes several times each trip.

- Stillwater, MN, USA

Feb 012013

Expedition 8-cyl

While driving down the road my wifes seatbelt became unbuckled. Then, on 2/27/2013 when I put my vehicle into reverse, my seatbelt came unbuckled. For both seats to become unbuckled with no external influence convinces me we are not safe in our 2002 Ford Expedition.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

Nov 282011

Expedition 8-cyl

We were rear ended while sitting at a redlight. The impact was hard enough to launch the 6000 lb Expedition 20-30 feet into the intersection. 2 out of 5 seat belts opened up and those 2 occupants went flying around in the car. Thank god it was not a head on collision. I never retested or checked the seatbelts and the vehicle was totaled and sent to a salvage yard in nc by travelers insurance. Injuries were whip lash, strained necks and cervical compression and concussions.

- Barboursville, VA, USA

Jan 032011

Expedition

Drivers seatbelt unlatches randomly. It occurs at least once a day. I have done nothing at this point. The dealer said it would cost 150 to fix on my own. The 2001 model has a recall on this and they are fixing those for free.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Aug 102009

Expedition

Seat belt will no longer latch.

- Temperance, MI, USA

Dec 052006

Expedition 8-cyl

Seat belt locking latch will release while driving. This is a random condition. The dealer could not reproduce the event in the shop and said nothing was wrong. This problem has progressively gotten worse. I will have to fix the problem since I am out of warranty now, but this is a Ford problem I have seen noted on other complaints submitted.

- Hawthorne, FL, USA