1.9

2003 Ford Expedition brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Expedition:

2003 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Apr 012013

Expedition

TL- the contact owns a 2003 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph the brakes malfunctioned making it very difficult to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was examined by an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the brakes lines had rusted. In addition the mechanic also discovered that the rocker panels and frame had experienced some rusting. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 150,000. Jft

- Vinton, OH, USA

Jul 182013

Expedition

The contact owns a 2003 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the brake pedal dropped to the floorboard as there was a loss of braking capability. The contact stated that the ABS warning light also illuminated and the emergency brakes had to be used in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake lines were completely rusted and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 110,000.

- Oxin Hill , MD, USA

May 182013

Expedition 8-cyl

I previously reported 3 failures of the brake system on this vehicle due to corroded brake lines under NHTSA id# 10491754. This past weekend I just had a fourth brake failure due to a corroded brake line in 11 months. This brake line runs along the left front below the engine bay.

- Mantua, NJ, USA

Jun 142012

Expedition 8-cyl

Brake line running across the front end of the vehicle ruptured due to rust causing loss of brake fluid and loss of braking. I had a local garage replace the ruptured line and inspect the other lines. I was advised they were all rusted but they did not see a need to replace them at this time. In October 2012 I had another brake line rupture, this time it was a brake line running along the frame rail on the driver's side to the back brakes. This also caused a loss of brake fluid and loss of braking. I had it repaired at a different repair shop. I also had him inspect all other lines and again I was told the other brake lines were rusted but he saw no reason to replace any others at that time. On January 6, 2013 I had another brake line failure near where the brake line failed in October 2012 (the other brake line running parallel) again causing a loss of brake fluid and loss of braking. Both repair facilities informed me this is a common problem. I also went to different repair facility to have maintenance performed when they saw my new brake lines, they asked what happened. When I told them they said, "oh it's a common problem" I can not understand how the federal government allows vehicle manufacturers to make brake lines out of a material so prone to corrosion. There is no other safety device on a vehicle more important than the brakes. What good are the anti-lock brakes you mandate if the brake lines fail?

- Mantua, NJ, USA

Dec 032012

Expedition 8-cyl

Driving South on rt 202 in left lane at 35 mph /a car in right lane changed lanes to the left in front of car in front of me to get to an exit. The car in front of me applied brakes / I pressed brakes hard to avoid rear end collision.. ABS system locked brakes but pedal went to floor. After that brakes felt soft when applied.. found leak in rusted lines from master cylinder to booster.

- Landover, MD, USA