1. replace ignition coil and spark plug (3 reports)
  2. replace all coil packs (1 reports)
2003 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Expedition:

2003 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Nov 152012

Expedition Eddie Baur 5.4L

Another coil changed today because of malfunction,they thought it was my overdrive going out till engine light popped up and showed the problem,had my expedition for over six months and over a 1,000 into it so far,its really upsetting because its in immaculate condition and i just love it,but i know now it will keep happening till it needs a need header or worse,cant get rid of it cause i owe the bank,so grin and bare it is what i say:(Id like to take it to ford company and shove it up something if they dont stand behind their word and fix the problems we all are having.So dear ford,ya aint so ford tuff anymore,and my next ride will not be a ford,but a chevy,ya hear!

- , Piggott, AR, USA

Dec 102004

Expedition Eddie Bauer

ford made such a crappy engine they should reeplace all of them This vehicle is nothing but a money pitt.

- , Monticello, MS, USA

Apr 022010

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L Triton

Ford should have taken some of the governments Bail-out monies and given the general public / owners, of this worthless trouble-laden engine, the recall that we all deserve. I can't even keep the engine compartment clean and worthy of show for fear of ruining yet another coil pack. I mechanic by profession, I have seen some very "off the wall" and "highly uncalled for" feats of engineering, but this ????? Was there any form of R&D and time trials for this engine and its related components ??????? Environmental testing ??????? Or is that the answer with-in itself ?????? Just another form of the American way and Big Business at work !!!!! Just a little deeper in my pockets every time I take this vehicle out for a ride !!!!!

But for every Bad there is a Good !!!!! I now budget and save more due to this vehicle being in my possession !!!!! Just waiting for the next time I have to bust my knuckles and say profane things !!!!!!

- , Asheboro, NC, USA

Jan 242010

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

2003 ford Expedition Eddie Bauer that I only had for 2 months started running rough and jerking while driving. Dealership said #2 Ignition coil and spark plug needed to be replace at a cost of $293 dollars. So I had the work done. Everything was working ok. Then 3 weeks later my Expedition started running rough again and jerking. Took it back to the dealership. They said now #3 Ignition coil and spark plug need to be replace. I am getting sick of this. I don't have money to keep buying Ignition coil.

- , Detroit, MI, USA