8.9

$1,433.00

1. ford should have a recall (43 reports)
  3. had the head re-threaded (2 reports)
  4. replaced engine head (2 reports)
2003 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Expedition:

2003 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 212014

Expedition Eddie B 5.4L

I AM IN AWE THAT FORD KNOWS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM, KEPT BUILDING THEM AFTER THEY FOUND OUT, AND REFUSES TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT EXCEPT CHARGE US OUT THE ASS TO FIX THE ISSUE!

- , boise, Idaho, USA

Jul 012014

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

2003 Ford Expedition 5.4 v8 . Started the truck the morning of 7/01/14, heard a loud bang like a shoot gun and the engine starts making a loud noise. Opened up the the hood and had a spark plug and coil gone. They where under the truck on the ground. Just found out from a recall site that this engine has had problems with ejecting spark plugs. It's still in the shop, been two days now but after reading about the problem I feel unsafe driving the truck. What if one ejects when I'm driving and and get caught in a moving part of the engine? How is that not a safety hazard. I think Ford should have to fix the problem!!!!!!

- , Perry, Kansas, USA

May 142014

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

This is my second blown plug in two months. There are thousands of complaints and we know what the problem is. I have now spent $2000 fixing this and had to find alternate means of transportation while the truck was in the shop twice. I never touched the spark plugs, so Ford can't blame me.

I notified my US Senator Dick Blumenthal. People need to contact him ASAP with their stories. He can help us.

- , Hamden, CT, USA

May 202014

Expedition XLT 5.4L

Not sure what the problem is but Ford should have a recall if this is happening. I am now trying to get this fixed. It is a great head ache going from a two car family to using one. I am military and now have have to inconvenience my family as I have a small child who now has to wake up at 0500 to take me to work in the morning. I see a recall for exterior lights but not for an engine. How does that work?

- , Fort Benning, GA, USA

Mar 022014

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

NHTSA should force Ford to make a recall. There are so many examples of this happening. I make sure to keep my vehicles properly professionally maintained, and this is a huge safety issue. Thankfully I was close to home and only driving 15 mph. Can you imagine highway speed and 100's of miles from home?

- , Hamden, CT, USA

Nov 012013

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

I bought this suv for my family about 3 months ago and we went on a little trip for vacations and suddenly heard a little tickling on the engine and there was that boom! Really i felt disapointed because that screwed my vacations and my financial situation! I tought i had a nice ride!! But is just a piece of s***t i will like to have ford to repair it..because is their fault..someone can get hurt or have an accident and no one wants to hear something like that! I loved that suv but..now i have to get something better..i don't trust FORD anymore! Feel really sad!

- , Oregon City, Clackamas, USA

Oct 182013

Expedition XLT 4.6L

I was coming from church and the damn truck starts. To shake. And then a ticking noise under the hood and i was at the light and a loud boom noise sounded like a gun shot. and the car cut off. and then i started it up and it was low on pressure. I had no speed and there was a loud smell. I found out the spark plugs had blew. what kind of sh*t is this? ford needs their ass kicked for selling junk ass cars like this. i could have died if the truck would have caught on fire, so i have decided to let this hunk of junk go back and get me something better. i have a family to think about so the hell with the expedition. i don't want nothing else made by ford. i will take this problem higher to get some answers about this. i see i'm not the only one that has been through this.

- , Auburn, AL, USA

Aug 242013

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

This has been one of the best running trucks until it blew a spark plug. Why in the world would FORD make an aluminum head with only 6 or 7 threads in it for the spark plug without using in steel inserts????????????

- , San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Jun 252013

Expedition Eddie Bauer

I bought this truck in July 2012. The first morning I owned this piece of crap I went to drive to work all proud in my new truck and made it a block from my house when I heard this loud banging sounding like a belt snapped and was slapping against the inside of the hood, I pulled over and the truck starts shaking and dies. I get it towed back to the dealership where they tried to tell me it was my problem but I did get them to take care of it. A spark plug blew out of the head. I have now almost owned this truck for a year next week... last Saturday at 11:30 pm with my children the god awful noise happens again. And there is single mom with 3 kids walking at midnight. The truck is in the shop now and I'm yet to find out if it is the same cylinder, in which that case I may have a $3000 bill to replace the head. My fingers are crossed it isn't and I can get this fixed just long enough to get rid of this PIECE OF SH*T FORD. Never again will I buy a Ford. Its fairly clear this is a problem it's just too bad that no one at Ford is doing anything about this.

- , Mission, BC, canada

Jul 212012

Expedition Eddie Baur 5.4L

I BOUGHT MY EXPEDITION IN MAY AND HAD IT ABOUT TWO MONTHS WHEN I HEARD A LOUD NOISE AND THOUGHT I HAD A FLAT TIRE SO I PULL OVER AND SHUT IT OFF,GET OUT AND LOOK,PUZZLED TO FIND MY TIRES WERE OK AND NO FLAT,SO I GET BACK IN AND START IT UP AND DRIVE A LITTLE WAYS AND THERE IT GOES AGAIN SO IM THINKING OK MAYBE MY BELT BROKE SO I LEAVE IT RUNNING AND RAISE THE HOOD AND MY BELTS FINE,SO WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?WELL I HAD NO ONE TO COME GET ME OR TOW SO I DROVE IT HOME ABOUT A MILE,LOUD AS HELL LIKE A TRACTOR.I CALLED A MECHANIC AND HE TOOK IT TO HIS SHOP AND SAID IT BLEW A PLUG AND DAM DID IT,IT HAD BEAT THE HELL OUT OF MY FAN COVER,LUCKY IT DIDN'T GET INTO MY FAN.WELL HE FIXED IT,HAHA,HE THOUGHT BECAUSE WELL I GOT LUCKY THIS TIME I CAUGHT IT BEFORE IT ALMOST BLEW MY THE ENGINE LIGHT COMING ON,THINKING HAHA I'M SMART JUST TO GET IT FIXED AND FIND OUT IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.FORD COMPANY,I LOVE MY EXPEDITION BUT HATE HOW YOU TREAT YOUR PEOPLE,SO FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM OR I WILL NEVER EVER BY ANOTHER FORD AGAIN ,THERE WAS A RECALL ON THIS 2003 SOMETIME OR ANOTHER,THE OTHER OWNER JUST DIDNT BRING IT IN,FIX MY PROBLEM ON MINE PLEASE SO I MAY KEEP ENJOYING MY FORD! DON'T KEEP MESSING WITH US ALL,THANK YOU!

- , Piggott, AR, USA

Nov 122012

Expedition 5.4L

I HAVE HAD THIS TRUCK ONLY THREE MONTHS BEFORE THIS CRAP HAPPENED TO ME. I WAS PULLING OUT OF THE DRIVE WAY AND BOOM..... IT BLEW THE PLUG OUT AND DESTROYED MY COIL. I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING WITH THE WARRANTY PEOPLE FOR ALMOST A WEEK NOW. THEY ARE TELLING ME THAT IT IS NOT COVERED IN THE WARRANTY. WELL AS FOR WHAT MY WARRANTY PAPER... IT SAYS : THAT CYLINDER HEADS ARE COVERED. IF I AM NOT MISTAKING THAT THE SPARK PLUGS ARE IN THE CYLINDER HEADS... IT STRIPPED OUT THE THREADS OF THE HEAD. SO..... IT SURE LOOKS LIKE A MALFUNCTION, DEFECT, OR A FAILURE TO ME. SURE SOUNDS LIKE I MAY HAVE TO GET A ATTORNEY INTO THIS FIGHT.

- , ward, AR, USA

Sep 202012

Expedition 4.6L

What I thought was a quick trip out to the bank turned into a nightmare. We had 6 children in the car was stopped at a red light and then we heard this awful loud popping noise. Thought the engine had blown. Thankfully we made it to a parking lot and sit for over 2 hours trying to figure out the problem. Now I am stranded home with no reliable car.

REALLY FORD!!!!!

FIX THIS ISSUE KNEW I SHOULD HAVE STAYED WITH A SUBURBAN!!!

- , Here, GA, USA

May 202012

Expedition Eddie Baur Xlt 5.4L

I HAVE FOUND MANY COMPLAINTS REGUARDING THE SPARK PLUG BLOWING OUT OF MY CAR. THE FORD DEARLERSHIP WHERE I GOT ALL MY WORK DONE IS PLAYING DUMB. THEY'RE WELL AWARE OF THE PROBLEMS WITH THE SPARK PLUG AND OFFERED TO FIX MY CAR FOR $3600.00

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

May 202012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

This is NOT Ford-Tough and it seems like Ford doesn't give a damn!

I take really good care of my car. Even the dealership/service was impressed and said he never saw an almost 10 year old Expedition with that mileage in such good shape.

Now the spark plug blew out and took all the fun away from driving this car. I have to expect any moment for this to happen again!!

Ford doesn't care and doesn't want to address/fix this problem. This does it for me. I had several Ford trucks before but I will NEVER buy Ford again. They are only interested to sell a new car. I did all the scheduled services and kept the car in good shape, now it lost all it's value and the "Ford-Tough" company doesn't know me anymore! Bye-bye Ford.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 212011

Expedition XLT 4.6L V8

On my first real family vacation since retiring from the Army in 2008. Had my wife, son, Mom and her boyfriend in the truck going to Seaside Heights, NJ for a Tomatoe Pie (24" round, OMG). Just as we were pulling into town I hear a super loud pop and my truck sounding like the muffler fell off. Couldn't figure it out then so we continued into town and had our tomato pie. Took it to a Ford dealership the next morning thinking it will cost a few hundred bucks to replace a plug and coil. A day later, when I called the dealership to find out what the hold up was, he said the engine had to be replaced, a piece of metal from the plug got into the engine and it had to be replaced. I was 600 miles from home and did not know if I could drive the truck home without breaking down again. A week later the truck was finally done. (I had to call the dealership every day to get an update, thats sad). $6,500 later we are on our way. Now I am having problems with the ignition, a local Auto Zone guy told me to google the problem and low and behold I find this site and read over 35 people had the same problem. Now I am pissed. Did I have to spend $6,500 or could they have informed me of the known problem? I went there thinking I would have to buy a new vehicle, but $6,500 is a lot less than $52,000. I agree with everyone on here that if Ford knows, and we know they do, they should have recalled the engines or agree to pay for 75% of the repairs. My family gave me this vehicle after my brother (owner) passed away. I keep it going in his memory. Now I am at a lost for words and thought.

- , Jonesborough, TN, USA

Jan 012011

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

This first happened a year earlier on our way to Canada and wasted a day in Saratoga Springs getting two plugs and caps replaced. It than occurred again a month later and needed to get another one fixed. 11 months later on way hole from Canada, 10 miles from boarder there was a loud bang sound. I was able to make to Plattsburg. It was January 1st so only Sears auto was open. they were unable to fix. It was myself, wife, 2 kids and my parents. We were able to rent a car in Plattsburg to drive over to Burlington Vt to the airport to rent a Yukon XL to drive everyone back to DC. The Ford dealership ended up re-threading 5 of the heads after they removed my engine. I was without my truck for a month. I than had to catch a train to Plattsburg and then drive my truck back. Man, that Yukon drove nicely!!!!!! Ford dropped the ball on this one.

- , Washington, DC, USA

Oct 252011

Expedition 4.6L

Engine Blew my Spark Plug Blew out of the engine. It was with an old lady and children for 2 years and this is the second time it happened. And the traffic was very heavy and could have caused other accidents.

- , Fontana, CA, USA

Nov 012011

Expedition Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

I had picked up a client at the airport and was headed out of town. I did not know what the problem was until the car was towed in to my mechanic and he called to let me know it blew the spark plug and that this was a common problem on Fords. This is hard to believe that this would happen. It caused me quite a bit of grief especially since I had a client riding with me. We had to ride in the tow truck to a car rental facility to rent a car and continue our trip. I won't have my car back for a couple of days.

- , Highland Village, TX, USA

Jul 212011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

I HAVE READ SOME BLOGS ON THIS SAME ISSUE WITH SAME PROBLEM ON SAME MAKE AND MODEL OF TRUCK THIS IS WRONG TO MAKE A TRUCK THAT HAS A PROBLEM WITH SPARK PLUG POTENTIAL POOPING OUT IM A SINGLE MOTHER OF 4 AND I DON'T HAVE MONEY TO JUST PUT IN TO FIX THIS 3000.00 TO FIX BY THE DEALER PLEASE I HOPE FORD CAN FIX THIS PROBLEM SOME ONE CAN GET HURT THIS IS A HAZARD THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED ....

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 092011

Expedition Limited 4.6L

I THOUGHT FOR SURE MY ENGINE BLEW. MY SPARK PLUG BLEW OUT OF THE ENGINE! NEVER HEARD ABOUT THIS PROBLEM BEFORE, BUT I DO BELIEVE FORD SHOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS. I CANT IMAGINE THIS HAPPENING TO A LITTLE OLD LADY, SHE WOULD HAVE HAD A HEART ATTACK WHEN IT HAPPENED. VERY VERY LOUD & SCARY.

- , Kensington, NH, USA