2003 Ford Expedition miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Expedition:

2003 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Dec 302014

Expedition

The frame of my 2003 Ford Expedition has rusted to the point that I have been told to get rid of the vehicle. The frame is about to self destruct. One of the straps that holds the gas tank to the frame has rusted. Replacements are not available. The steel brake lines along the frame are also rusted. I have had one replaced already. The area below all 4 doors is missing due to rust. You can see the frame through the missing steel. It appears that Ford uses nothing to keep their vehicles from rusting! this is a disgrace. Ford has been manufacturing vehicles for more than 100 years and still cant make one that does not rust. Their planned obsolescence program is costing its customers billions of dollars in replacement costs. I feel they should be held accountable considering the cost to replace these vehicles. There should be no time limit on rust. In this day and age, they should have figured out how to rust proof a vehicle properly. I want a replacement vehicle from them at their cost!

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Oct 032015

Expedition

Cars stalled while turning left against traffic. Would not start right away. Had to wait a few minutes trying to start it and finally it started and I could clear the intersection. Very dangerous and fortunate that oncoming traffic was able to stop. Have cleaned throttle body, aic but fuse on fuse box is melted causing intermittent operation. Started out once a month and now frequently to include this last one in traffic.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jun 072012

Expedition

While driving my vehicle, several times, it stalled. It began to stall every few months. It later stalled weekly and later daily. Each time, the check engine light appeared (it did not appear each and every time), I would have it checked by a mechanic. I always got the P0231 error code. I have had my fuel pump, fuel relay, fuel filters, transmission and several other things replaced. None of the previous listed repairs fixed the issue. Recently on 09/07/2015, I was driving 35 mph. My vehicle stalled on a train track. It did not start right away. After several attempts, I was able to get it going for a few seconds, long enough to move it. I was terrified. It has been parked ever since. My mechanic willingly did a house call and explained the real issue. He stated that the issue was a faulty fuse box located in the kick panel of the passenger side. He stated that if I get it repaired, it is just a matter of time before it happens again, due to the faulty design of the windshield and the location of the box. He also stated that if I get it replaced, I would need to get it from the dealer. Replacing it is very expensive due to the manufacturer selling the whole assembly to include fuses and relays. I am not sure how far this complaint would go, but it's worth complaining about.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Expedition

Engine just shut off all of the sudden without warning while driving down the road.

Dec 022007

Expedition

Paint is severely peeling off every where. Mostly the hood, and rear hatch.

- North Chili, NY, USA

Jan 112009

Expedition

Cruising down the highway at approx. 60mph and hear a huge thump and then my engine rpms dropped. Pulled over to the side of the road in 6 degree weather with my family in the car, only to find out the car is inoperable. Took the car to the dealership for repair and it concludes that the spark plug blew out.

- West Bend, WI, USA

May 302004

Expedition

While driving, the truck caught on fire. The consumer was informed that it looked as if a piece of cardboard was wedged between the muffler and the chassis to stop a vibration. This was not accidental. Ford claimed to be unaware of this problem.

- Hauppauge, NY, USA

Sep 082003

Expedition 8-cyl

There is a rattling noise in passenger side door. And at time it is hard to close. When the vehicle reached 43 mph a humming noise could be heard. The humming continued when the vehicle reached 59-72 mph. The technicians replaced the drive shaft twice but the noise continued. There was a roaring noise which came from the wheel area. The dealer adjusted the park brake shoes. The was noise the steering wheel was turn right or left. The technician added a wheel additive. The passenger door was difficult to close. The dealer adjusted the striker. The front windshield weather strip was loose. The dealer resealed it. The was rattling in the center of the dash. The dealer removed and reinstalled a cluster and reinstalled the insulation. The driver side seat belt twisted.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 022003

Expedition 4WD

I purchased a 2003 Expedition in September of 2002. I reported a vibration in steering wheel and brake pedal, a clanking noise in the front end, along with a slippage when taking off as vehicle seems to not want to respond when pushing on the gas. They stated the engineers were aware of problem and where working on it. The vehicle has been taken in several times, but these problems still exist. On the 2 appointment for my vehicle I stated to the service area that my brake pedal would go to the floor, and I would have no brakes. They told me my brakes were fine although this has happened twice while driving ever since. As of Oct. 9, 2003 they have had my vehicle a week, and are stating they do not know these problem existing with any other Expedition so they are unsure how to fix the vehicle. At your website that is not true, as I have seen several reports of these same problems on the same vehicle as mine. I am very concerned for mine and my children's safety.

- Centerburg, OH, USA