2004 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Expedition:

2004 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Sep 012016

Without warning and while driving, engine just quits, loss of power steering, brakes and traffic, very dangerous. Second time....problem not found.

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Jul 142016

While driving in the city on local streets, the engine just stops with no ability to drive. I am an instant safety problem on the road. This happened 3 times in one day. Fortunately, no one was injured. After a few minutes, the car starts up again. My mechanic can't duplicate the problem. Anyone help before there is a major life-threatening accident!! thanks!

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Jan 152015

Our 2004 Ford Expedition eddie bauer suddenly turns off while we are driving at any speed. In a year's time, it has turned off four or more times. Most of those times, we were traveling at speeds of about 60mph. All of the power shuts off, steering and brakes included. We turn the key off and it does restart. Luckily we have not been in any terrible accidents!

- Castaic, CA, USA

Aug 142012

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated the failure occurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 156,000.

- Delano, MN, USA

Sep 022014

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the relay needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 198,000.

- Ruidoso, NM, USA

Jan 122015

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2004 Ford Expedition which randomly shuts off while driving. This has been happening with more frequency. I have taken the vehicle to two mechanics who tested and attempted to diagnose however they were not able to replicate the problem. Upon reading and researching online, there have been multiple posts about this being a common problem with the Ford Expedition line. I contacted Ford and explained of this major safety concern and they only advised that the vehicle has no recall and they collected my information to provide to NHTSA. My son uses this vehicle for school and the vehicle has a safety concern which can not be diagnosed by certified mechanics and Ford has taken is not taken any responsibility or attempted to rectify. I hope someone does not have to die due to this gross negligence, especially my son.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Dec 112014

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

While driving on a 3 lane highway where the speed limit is 65, I began my transition to the right lane to exit. We were traveling approximately 60mph. As I began to change lanes the vehicle noticeabley began to accelerate. At first I thought the cruise control had been activated, but when J attempted to stop, the car kept trying to accelerate. As I entered the exit ramp the car did not slow down the way it should have and the brakes did not feel sure. As I was able to come to a safe roll, I placed the car I to neutral at which time the car accelerated violently. I felt for the gas pedal which seemed to to depressed as if the cruise control was on. However, I was stopped. The engine did finally slow to within normal RPM. I was somewhat convinced that something may have been stuck, but soon realized that the gas pedal is hinged from above and not into the floor, nor was there anything on the floor.

- Warwick, NY, USA

Aug 212014

I was pulling off from a stop sign and before I got across the intersection my car make a pop and then the engine sounded like it blew. I pulled over and a spark plug popped out of the head causing a small fire that melted hoses. Estimated damage is a minimum of 1500 for just this plug but I was told the others would follow suit. Reading on the internet this seems to be a serious issue with the Ford 5.4 Triton motors. If I was not able to stay calm and steer my vehicle correctly this could have resulted in a serious accident. The vehicle lost power as if it had stalled, and as I stated before there was a small fire when I lifted the hood to see what had happened.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Jun 032013

Expedition 8-cyl

The first incident with my Ford while driving at about 25mph the spark plug was blown out. Ihad the spark plug issue repaired. My second issue with my Ford now is that it shuts off while driving at speed. It has happen 4 times now. I have read some blogs that state it might be the bad placement of fuel pump driver module or fuel pump relay. This may cause a crash. Please research!!!!

- New Orleans , LA, USA

Jun 012014

While slowly braking to a stop behind traffic stopped for a red light, the engine suddenly accelerated with my right foot still on the brake pedal. I pressed harder on the brake and when I realized the engine was still revving (at over 3,000 RPM), I put the transmission into neutral and noticed the engine speed erratically bouncing up and down in roughly the 2500 to 3500 RPM range. I still had my right foot firmly pressed on the brake pedal. I finally shut the ignition off and put the transmission into park. I waited a a few seconds and restarted the engine. This entire time I never lifted my right foot off the brake pedal. The engine started and idled at a normal 600 RPM or so. I carefully put it into drive so I could get out of traffic. At each subsequent stop, I would put the transmission into neutral just in case of another incident. I promptly drove straight home which fortunately was only 2 miles away. I checked the floor mat to see if the accelerator pedal could have gotten stuck but there was plenty of clearance. The floor mat is anchored to the floor so doesn't move. This is the first time something like this has happened to this or any other vehicle I've owned or driven.

- Foster City, CA, USA

Apr 182014

The contact owned a 2004 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that her vehicle was parked and smoke emitted from under the hood. The vehicle then became engulfed in flames. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure and current mileages were unknown.

- Dickinson, TX, USA

Aug 172013

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Expedition. The contact was driving 80 mph when the check service warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle then stalled. The vehicle was safely merged from the highway and restarted. The failure became a constant recurrence and the vehicle was towed because it could not be restarted. The vehicle was not taken for diagnosis or repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate vehicle failure mileage was 189000.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

May 092013

While traveling at the posted 55mph speed limit, a loud popping noise was heard coming from the driver's side near the engine wall. It was later determined the vehicle had blown the #3 spark plug.

- Alexandria, LA, USA

Apr 282013

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, a popping noise emitted from the front passenger's side of the vehicle. The driver exited the vehicle and noticed smoke near the front passenger's side tire area. The vehicle then became engulfed in flames. The fire department extinguished the flames and informed the contact that the fire originated from the engine compartment. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Sparland, IL, USA

Feb 132013

Expedition 8-cyl

I was driving down the interstate when I heard a pop from the engine compartment & smelled gas fumes. A spark plug (passenger side, 3rd plug back) had ejected and ruined the coil. I took it to a local auto service center & they immediately knew what had happened as they have worked on several of the Ford 4.6L V8's with the same condition. Checked for recalls & found nothing. This could have set the engine compartment on fire. This is a problem that has to be fixed.

- Wapakoneta, OH, USA

Sep 072011

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

My Ford Expedition engine races while driving but more importantly when stopped at traffic signal the Expedition engine raises and if foot isn't forcefully planted on brake at all times it lunges could cause accident by rear ending any vehicle stopped in front of me or property damage to other vehicle an to my own. It further has a hickup like not getting fuel properly. The Expedition has been well maintained and two weeks ago had a complete tuneup(my thinking that might be what is causing the problem) not the case it has continued to do the racing engine and lunges. Recently my sister with a new Ford Explorer had a car accident caused by the same symptoms of my own Expedition. The damage to my Expedition in the event of an acident would be to repair or replace the frontend of my vehicle.

- Salem, OR, USA