1.5

2004 Ford Expedition fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Expedition:

2004 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Jul 142016

Expedition

While driving in the city on local streets, the engine just stops with no ability to drive. I am an instant safety problem on the road. This happened 3 times in one day. Fortunately, no one was injured. After a few minutes, the car starts up again. My mechanic can't duplicate the problem. Anyone help before there is a major life-threatening accident!! thanks!

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Jan 152015

Expedition

Our 2004 Ford Expedition eddie bauer suddenly turns off while we are driving at any speed. In a year's time, it has turned off four or more times. Most of those times, we were traveling at speeds of about 60mph. All of the power shuts off, steering and brakes included. We turn the key off and it does restart. Luckily we have not been in any terrible accidents!

- Castaic, CA, USA

Jun 272015

Expedition

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Expedition. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and taken to a dealer and an independent mechanic; however, the cause of the failure was unable to be determined. The contact mentioned that the alternator, battery, transmission, fuel pump, and fuel bypass switch were replaced; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 126,000.

- Valley Grove, WV, USA

Sep 162014

Expedition

The vehicle has been shutting down randomly (highway, streets, stops, etc) and it is very much a safety situation at high speed on the freeway since the steering wheel locks up and brakes do not work. I've taken it to two different places for diagnosis including the local Ford dealership and they have not been able to diagnose the problem. It is understood the vehicle is 10-11 years old but the inability for the dealership to diagnose the problem is really frustrating. From reading complaints, there are others that sound similar and appears to be associated with the vehicle's fuse relay box.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jun 032014

Expedition

4 separate times my 2004 Expedition has died while running down the road, one time it died in a very dangerous spot (blind S-curve with no shoulder). It always seems to restart after it has cooled down after a while. This last time we tried multiple things to get it running because it was stuck at a busy intersection and it was over 100 degrees outside, but nothing we did helped. I ended up getting it towed to a shop who told us it needed a new fuel pump ($1100). We decided to take it home, and thank goodness we did. After charging the battery it started right up. We have research this problem and it seems to happen to many Expedition and Ford pickups. It looks like this has caused many people a lot of money and has left them stranded many times. From our research it is probably the fuel pump relay (R303) or the fuel pump driver module (if it has one). Unfortunately our exp. Has the relay instead of the module making it harder to replace. I would like to know why their hasn't been a recall on the relay or module!!! I am very thankful my children weren't with me when I was left stranded with the temp above 100 degrees out. Something needs to get done before someone gets hurt!

- Colton, WA, USA

Mar 112014

Expedition 8-cyl

Was driving my SUV and was coming close to my turn off let off the gas and my vehicle cut off had to steer to side of the road. Had fuel pump replaced was driving the next day after pump was replaced stopped still and the vehicle started shaking and cut off. It started up about ten minutes later. The next time was riding down the road going 55 and my SUV just shut down I veered it to the side of the road was able to start it tried to head home vehicle shut down a good 5 miles and was able to start again after waiting this happened again 4 more times in the same nite before my vehicle didn't start anymore that was March 31,2014 it left me stranded on the side of the road with my three children. Eleven days later my vehicle is still not starting and diagnostic test is not showing anything wrong!

- Raeford, NC, USA

Jul 052013

Expedition

Was driving when brakes went completely out when I went to stop at a stop sign.. cause due to rust corrosion. Brakes giving out could have caused a fatal car accident. Rust has damaged all brake lines and fuel lines. Rust is now moving up the vehicle. Brake lines and fuel lines should have a protected coating or made with a non corrosion metal. I had no idea that my brake line was rusted out till my brakes gave out. These vehicle need to be recalled and have new lines. Also have a protected coating applied under the vehicle to stop rust. Very very dangerous driving around not knowing that you have rust under your vehicle eating away at your brake lines and fuel lines.

- Pass Christian , MS, USA