2006 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Expedition:

2006 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Feb 242015

Was driving about 35 mph when engine fail safe mode came on and truck just shut off. This happened 4 times between location and home. Almost got rearended when it happened.

- New Market, IN, USA

Jan 152014

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

SUV entered safe mode... engine shuddered, low power in low RPM bands.. would not accelerate. Had spark plugs replaced in 2014 at 88000 miles. In 2015, 115,000 miles engine does again while driving interstate putting me at risk on road of collision due to power loss. Did not enter safe mode second time... just could not get power - had to push hard on gas to get it into lower gear/higher rpms. Took to repair shop thinking coils (cop) needed replaced. Told engine is no good and needs full replacement. A wreck could occur when engine fails like this. Engines should not be dead at 115,000 miles. I maintained according to mfg suggested maintenance schedule.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 072012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted however, the failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Parksville, MD, USA

Dec 292014

Engine frequently goes in to engine failsafe mode. This happens typically when the car is being lightly throttled such as around corners or in rush hour traffic. The car restarts fine, but must be completely turned off, which disables airbags, makes power steering and power brakes impossible to use. Previously I have cleaned the throttle body of the car at the suggestion of numerous mechanics, and this resolved the issue for nearly a year. Now the problem is back again. I'm concerned for my wife's safety. The throttle body needs to be redesigned as the throttle plate sticking returning invalid data to the computer sending the engine into failsafe mode.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 012014

As I am driving down the road I lose power and deaccelerate and go into fail safe mode. The little wrench light comes on the dash. Then the engine cuts off completely. This has happened at multiple speeds. It is extremely dangerous! once I turn the key off I restart the engine and it may not happen again for a month. I replaced the throttle position sensor and it did not do this for about a year, now it is starting again and it has happened 5 times in the last 3 months. It has happened at 65mph, 40mph, 25mph, 55mph, 30 mph. There is no pattern. I have been lucky that I have been able to pull over to the side of the road or turn into a parking lot each time this happens, it scares me! I have read multiple accounts of this happening online to the 2006 and wonder why it has not been recalled if there are so many problems with it. I have taken it to Ford twice and bc the light does not stay on and it is not happening when I bring it to them they tell me there is nothing they can do.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Oct 132011

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

Engine shut down at highway speed. Loss of power steering and power brakes. Was able to coast to emergency lane then restart car. Happened two additional times. Took to shop where the throttle body was replaced. No issues since then (~ 1 year ago). Sounds like manufacturer defect. This is a safety issue.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Sep 222014

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the electronic throttle control and the service engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle stalled, but was able to be restarted and resume normal operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Marshall, TX, USA

Jul 212014

Expedition 8-cyl

Engine just shuts off, especially at a stand still & A/C on. Not as often if A/C is not on.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jul 182013

Expedition 8-cyl

Engine went in to fail safe mode and stalled while coasting to pull off. Put in neutral shut off key and then restarted. No more problem..until a year later. Fail safe then stall. Restarted and check engine light on. After 10 miles fail safe and stall. Restarted check engine light on took to dealer. Diagnosed as throttle body $650 repair. Obviously; I am not the first victim! shame on you Ford for not stepping up and taking care of your customers and replacing the throttle bodies. To safe doesn't mean safe to keep driving, it is designed to keep the engine running just long enough to maintain power steering and brakes while you pull over. Good luck!

- Glen Allen , VA, USA

Jul 282014

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The car stalled while turning no warning at 25mph start and shut does it 6 times going home.

- Coeur D Alene, ID, USA

Jul 042014

Expedition 8-cyl

Driving in town on four lane at 45 mph. Fail safe light appeared and engine cut off and lost power steering. Almost rear ended as there was no place to pull off the road! engine was restarted and did not occur again while returning home.

- High Point, NC, USA

Jan 202014

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and the entire instrument panel illuminated. This failure occurred six times over a period of six months. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000.

- Redwood Falls, MN, USA

Apr 102013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while attempting to merge into traffic, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and misfired without any warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the spark plugs needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 97,000 and the current mileage was 98,500.

- Carrollton, OH, USA

Apr 252014

Expedition 8-cyl

2006 Expedition fail safe mode came on while driving my children to school. Car immediately slowed to under 10mph. Was barely able to pull over and restart it. Thank goodness I was not on the expressway doing 60+ mph. There are numerous complaints on this issue with this car. It was very scary!

- Griffith, IN, USA

Apr 222014

Expedition 8-cyl

Was driving down off ramp lost all power to the vehicle, no steering, no brakes. I had my 3 children in the vehicle with me and thankfully I was able to cost to the shoulder until help arrived. Extremely scary had it happen 2 minutes earlier would of been off the ramp and into oncoming traffic! this is unacceptable!! my mechanic says it's the fuel pump, and just the part is 500 dollars"!? this could of ended very badly and I have had nothing but issues with this piece of junk. The paint is peeling off, looks like no primer or sealer was used it literally is flaking off on the hood and rear gate right where you would put your hands to open it. In the manual in very small print it says the oil from your fingers may cause paint to corrode, are you kidding me??? your not supposed to open your hood or tailgate??" ridiculous!! this vehicle in my opinion is a lemon!!

- Sandwich, IL, USA

Feb 172014

Expedition 8-cyl

Was driving down the road when Expedition started to lurch and not shift properly. Took it in to auto shop and they diagnosed that pistons 3 and 7 were misfiring. Went to change spark plugs and plugs broke off in the engine. Had to order special tool to remove them, second time they have had to be replaced both times they have broken off. Cost was over $1500

- Sandwich, IL, USA

Sep 182013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the fail safe warning lamp illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the spark plugs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 82,000 and the current mileage was 83,000.

- Jurupa Valley, CA, USA

Mar 292014

Expedition 8-cyl

As I was driving my Expedition, the truck suddenly shut completely off and I had to power steering and then in the message center it showed "engine failsafe mode". I had to put my flashers on and coast to a stop in the lane I was in and come to a complete stop before I could restart my truck. I was unable to switch lanes or move to a safer location because I had no power steering. I had the same thing happen in March of 2009 when I was going 60 on the interstate in the middle lane and lost all power and had to coast to a stop in that lane with my flashers on hoping everyone around me would see I was having car trouble. I had 3 of my kids in the truck with me. In 2009 I took it into the Ford dealership and they said it was the throttle body and replaced it which cost me $536. In 2009 it happened 5 times before it was fixed. I took the truck in today and they said again its the throttle body and because it's been 5 years the other one is no longer under warranty. So now I'm getting a new throttle body put in. I emailed Ford corporate and was basically told that there is no current recall nor plans for one so there's nothing they can do for me!

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Mar 262014

Expedition 8-cyl

This is the second incident: The fist was about 3 months ago. I was driving down a residential street yesterday when the "fail safe mode" indicator came on and said engine shutting down. Car turns off, cannot steer. Very dangerous. I was on a residential street and was able to pull off. Turned the car off for a few minutes and it started and I drove to work, but the engine light remained on. I took it to an auto parts store who ran it and it came up as throttle body forces immediate idle. Which is exactly what the 10 pages on complaints on said it would say - however information on that site also said it's actually the fuel pump modulator, but the computer did not indicate that at all. There were almost 60 complaints of the same situations - when I pulled out into traffic today the car 'hesitated' and did not accelerate correctly. The first incident occurred on a major highway - and again I was lucky enough to be in the right lane and was able to pull over. This defect is going to cause an injury or even death and it needs to be recalled and corrected. I will be contacting Ford corporate; but with the recent incidents with GM I would hate to see an accident or fatality occur when Ford and others are aware of this problem. Obviously I have to get this fixed, I'm hoping my Ford dealer will work with me, but I have a 4 year old so time is of the essence and I'm guessing money will be too. Regardless of Ford's corporate response, I will be contacting the media. This is a safety issue and is unacceptable that Ford is not taking responsibility.

- Holiday, FL, USA

Feb 282014

Expedition 8-cyl

I was driving around 46mph, and in the middle of driving, my truck cut off for around 5 seconds. I almost got by the truck behind me. My truck kicked back on by itself, all why I was driving. I was so terrified the truck behind almost rear ended me.

- Fresno, TX, USA