2.7

2010 Ford Expedition electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Expedition:

2010 Ford Expedition Owner Comments

Apr 142015

Expedition

On 04/14/2015 my friend our 2010 Ford Expedition el limited in the driveway and went into the house. Approximately 2 hours later she heard the alarm go off and went outside to investigate. The car had dark tints on the windows but the car looked darker than normal then she realized she couldn't see in the car because it was full of black smoke. A few seconds later she saw a spark coming from the middle section of the dash board then all the windows blew out at once and the car burst into flames. She called 911 and the fire department managed to keep the fire from spreading to my house and my neighbor's house. The fire was so hot it melted the frames of my windows and scorched the siding on that side of the house. The tree, bushes, grass and liriope on that side of the house caught on fire and there is glass all over my yard. The car was completely destroyed. I understand that Ford has had similar fires in the past with earlier models. Apparently they have not fixed all of the problems. The car was working well until the day it caught on fire. The arson investigator said that it looked like it might have started in the navigation system. Now I am reading that Ford has had problems with a "defective cruise control switch that has caused trucks to go up in flames" similar to how my Expedition was destroyed. I also read that Ford Expedition as well as other Ford trucks have had a ?possible defect in the speed control deactivation switch?. the article stated that, ?some switches could leak. Because the switch has electrical power at all times, the leaking fluid could ignite and cause a fire, even when the vehicle is unattended". regardless of how it happened the truck obviously had a defect. I have photographs and my neighbors have video of the fire.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 102015

Expedition 8-cyl

Vehicle started on its own without the ignition switch turned on. I was not able to get the car to stop running until I turned the ignition switch on and then back to off.

- Little Elm, TX, USA

May 202013

Expedition

As I was driving away from my home (thankfully at a low speed) the power steering suddenly went out. If I had been going any faster an accident might have happened. Also, I continue to have problems with the power window in the car. When it is cold, you can get the window to go down but it is very hard to get it to go back up. Two shops told me that the motor in the window was bad so I had one of them replace it but that didn't solve the problem as I learned the next time it was cold and the window still didn't work right. I was then told that there is an electrical problem that makes the motor keep going bad but I don't know what is going on.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Aug 032012

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The failures occurred over a 3 day period. The motor quit while idling for less than 5 minutes in a restaurant parking lot. Initially, it would not even turn over. However, after several attempts it did re-start. The motor stalled again about 90 minutes later while going 30 miles per hour. While coasting, we turned off the main street (with great difficulty) - the power steering, brakes etc. No longer working. It started after many futile attempts. We headed towards a Ford dealership and the motor stalled again, now on a busy freeway - after multiple attempts, while coasting, the motor did restart. That dealership had the vehicle for 24 hours but found nothing. Their comment: "it is running fine now - it is likely electronic - take it to your local dealer". we left the next day for the 240 mile trip home. We were on a major freeway during "rush hour" extremely congested traffic (due to construction) when the motor stalled once again. We had just merged from 2 lanes to 1 and my husband was able to "muscle the vehicle" into the right lane and onto the shoulder. This time, after multiple attempts, nothing. We were stranded on a major freeway with 2 dogs and endless 65 mph traffic flying by. After unloading our dogs into the midst of this dangerous situation, our 2010 Expedition was loaded onto a flatbed truck to be hauled the 65 miles remaining to our home (and the dealership where we purchased the vehicle). After 3 days of diagnostics found nothing, someone at Ford (detroit) suggested the "wiggle-wire" test before, as a last resort, replacing the computer system. With the engine running, the wires were wiggled until one actually stopped the engine. It had been "crimped", as wires were "merged" from many to a few at the factory, eventually causing a short. The stalling engine could easily have resulted in an horrific accident. And, I am not convinced it is truly "fixed".

- Waconia, MN, USA

Jan 012010

Expedition

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the instrument panel lights were not bright enough, as a result he could not read any of the instruments. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that it was normal and they could not alter the design of the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since it was not considered a defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 500 and the current mileage was 33,000.

- Highland , MI, USA