1996 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Ford Explorer:

1996 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Aug 302015

Just noticed this light flashing my mechanic said not a problem probably unless shifting into 4th but am very nervous about it and if it may cause further problems with transmission.

- , Chattanooga, TN, USA

Mar 022012

Explorer 4.0L V6

i just bought this car and on my way home from work the o/d off light started flashing and when i come to or slow down to come to a stop it stalls out sometimes it will start back up other times it wont the battery just seems dead. you jump it and it is fine for a while whats the problem?? ive been told the torque converter or transmission pump could be out...ugh it makes me so mad because i just bought it to replace my subaru that died after the 250000 miles..and i am afraid to take it anywhere incase i break down

- , Dayton, PA, USA

Jun 192010

Explorer Limited V6

OD light blinking. does not want to shift properly up or down. whining, clunking, banging. shifting HARD. this will be my 3rd transmission in 5 years. I am not happy AT ALL. i cannot afford this ford. really do wish ford would do something about this AND ALL PROBLEMS with their cars. i dont think i want another ford. tooo many problems, not enough help. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PRIDE IN WORKMANSHIP AND BACKING YOUR PRODUCTS???!!!

- , Poulsbo, WA, USA

Jan 192009

Explorer Limited V6

My 1996 Limited Explorer O/D light just started flashing and hesitated to go in reverse. I put the vehicle in park and turned it off and on again, seems to work ok after that. I have had this vehicle since 1998 and it has over 220K miles, the odometer broke a few years ago. I must say I've been very happy with the overall performance of my truck... I love it and it's never left me stranded. After owning it so many years, I almost expect the tranny to go soon. Sorry to hear of newer models having this problem so soon with less mileage. I can't complain.

- , Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Dec 062008

Explorer XLT

My transmission has been blinking the OD light. I always have to let off the gas or it will not shift from 1st to 2nd.

- , Rsm, CA, USA

Feb 012008

Explorer Limited V6

On my way to the office today my ford was having a tuff time going in reverse. Then I noticed the O/D light blinking. It was on the entire trip to work.When I got yo the office and parked, I tried to back out of the space and it seemed to have a bit of trouble. When I leave today I hope I make it home, or at least get out of my parking space. Actually I may drop the truck off at my husbands shop on the way home and he can drive it home.

It has never done this before.

- , New Milford, CT, USA