1996 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Ford Explorer:

1996 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jun 142013

Explorer V6

I was driving my explorer home one evening after work & picking up my young daughters. As I was crossing a main intersection my car lost all power. I pulled over to the side of the road and my husband (who was driving his truck behind me), yelled for our girls & I to get out of the car as he ran past my door with a fire extinguisher. I had no idea it was on fire!, I just knew I had lost power. My husband was able to put the fire out before it caused too much damage. After having a certified Ford mechanic look @ my explorer, they were still unsure what actually caused the fire but narrowed it down to transmission, fuel or oil line. Even though I had full coverage on my vehicle, insurance wouldn't cover it. Explorer still starts up but not sure how long. After it caught on fire once, I will not take the risk of putting my children in it again.

- , Waynesboro, VA, USA