1996 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Ford Explorer:

1996 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Aug 012011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I have had to have the transmission rebuilt twice already and will never buy another FORD product. I truly believe the old saying which is "FIX OR REPAIR DAILY" because that fits what I have gotten. I also have a second car which is a 1989 Ford Mustang that if you go up a steep incline at a fast speed it will throw ATF out the front seal for no reason at all. The seal is good because it is anew seal that I thought was the problem so I had it replaced. Have found out that on that particular model the fluid goes along a spline and out on the ground when the transmission is stressed. Seems the cars are for little old ladies who drive very slow. I would never have believed it until I actually saw this on my own. Ford's reputation sure has declined over the years. When car manufacturers started tying everything to a computer to control them that was a major mistake. Even the A1 Mechanics have to scratch their heads when it comes to one of these. FORD should change their name to J-U-N-K because that is all they are!!

- , Bluff City, TN, USA