1997 Ford Explorer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Ford Explorer:

1997 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jan 052011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

My daughter drives a 97 Explorer XLT 4 liter. About a month ago her alarm went off at 3:40 am and woke up half the neighborhood. I went outside, saw nothing, and hit the unlock button on the key fob.... 30 minutes later it did it again. UHG!!!

I disconnected the battery and went to bed. Next morning I hooked it back up so she could go to school. about 10 am I get a call from the school resource officer that her car alarm is going off in the parking lot... Again nobody anywhere near her car.

Now one month goes by and it doesn't do it...Until last night.... 3:30am, it goes to blaring.

I've looked throughout my service manual and owners manual looking for a fuse or replay to disable it but I can't figure out which one powers it. The fuses seem to cover more then one circuit so pulling the fuse for the "Anti-Theft" will disable other things as well.

Does anyone know of any other option to disable this thing. I also cant find the stupid anti-theft module that is supposed to be under the dash somewhere.

The Stealership charged me $90 to tell me it needs some parts totaling $400. I just want it disabled, not fixed and the stealership refuses to disable it I'm not concerned about somebody stealing it....they can have it if they want it. it's insured!

- , Lake Wales, FL, USA